Do you like mushy peas?

These were the best that you could buy in UK (in my opinion). They came with two bi-carb tablets; one for soaking, one for cooking.

They are totally different things in my opinion. Mushy peas are more akin to Indian dal (Yorky has called them Yorkshire dal before now). Its a bit like comparing dried haricot beans with fresh green beans.

I won a competition for my "Yorkshire Dhal" once.

I never had them. I never felt any desire to have them, especially with fish and chips. I've never like peas on their own. I use them in soups and stews all the time, but never eat them alone -- well, since childhood when I didn't chose what I ate.

TR, I'm guessing mushy peas revive fond memories of your time Living in the UK. I have fond memories of my journeys in the UK, but the only foods that stick with me are fish and chips (no peas), shepherd's/cottage pies, properly brewed tea, and all the local beers/ales. I mostly enjoyed the scenery and the people.

CD

That is my pet hate. Its so wrong!

Mint sauce with proper mushy peas is a good thing, though. :okay:
Crushed minted peas (petit pois) are quite common in these parts. I like them, especially with fish. Never thought of mint sauce with mushy peas, but then I only eat mushy peas from the chip shop with fish and chips.

The usual peas around here are sold as "English peas" or "garden peas," and they're tiny, and they're not much good for mushy peas - you get a lot of husk:pea innards.

That's why, when I'm at the international market, I make sure to get some big marrowfat peas, specifically for making mushy peas.

murphyscreek's recent video has me wanting chicken parm, and I've got a plump chicken breast in the freezer...and now I want mushy peas, and I've got some marrowfat peas...chicken parm and mushy peas? Will that work? :)
Small peas over here are called 'petit pois'. Funny old world!

That is my pet hate. Its so wrong!
Crushed minted peas (petit pois) are quite common in these parts. I like them, especially with fish.
Yes, maybe I should have described them as crushed peas instead of posh mushy peas (I only really call them that to wind up hubby, coz he can't stand proper mushy peas :wink: ). They're nothing like mushy peas at all and I would never suggest the two were interchangable, the crushed petit pois have a much more delicate flavour and I think they go better with lighter meals like baked or steamed fish or chicken rather than traditional fish and chips.

Never thought of mint sauce with mushy peas, but then I only eat mushy peas from the chip shop with fish and chips.
Maybe mint sauce with mushy peas is a Nottinghamshire thing? Because come to think of it, I've not really seen it anywhere else in the country.

Yes, maybe I should have described them as crushed peas instead of posh mushy peas (I only really call them that to wind up hubby, coz he can't stand proper mushy peas :wink: ). They're nothing like mushy peas at all and I would never suggest the two were interchangable, the crushed petit pois have a much more delicate flavour and I think they go better with lighter meals like baked or steamed fish or chicken rather than traditional fish and chips.

You are vindicated!

I am definitely going to try it next time I have mushy peas.

Mint sauce on mushy peas is not unknown in my (ex) neck of the woods. Particularly with pies (although not as popular with fish and chips).

Back
Top Bottom