Do you like mushy peas?

It's in our DNA peas lamb mint sauce.
JAS_OH1 you know

Russ
I do, actually, and I like peas whole, sweet, and green, with no mint jelly or sauce and it's likely I would not eat lamb with either of those things (99.9% sure). I like the lamb (no mutton) and I like mint...in my iced tea. My grandpa on my mom's side was mostly of English descent so he probably liked mushy peas (or one of his parents/grandparents did). I didn't get that gene, thankfully.

I do, actually, and I like peas whole, sweet, and green, with no mint jelly or sauce and it's likely I would not eat lamb with either of those things (99.9% sure). I like the lamb (no mutton) and I like mint...in my iced tea. My grandpa on my mom's side was mostly of English descent so he probably liked mushy peas (or one of his parents/grandparents did). I didn't get that gene, thankfully.

We were raised with them, cheap and filling. And yummy. Peas that is.
Prolly 5 nights a week!

Russ

We were raised with them, cheap and filling. And yummy. Peas that is.
Prolly 5 nights a week!

Russ
Always mushy? We ate them a lot too, but it seems like a lot of trouble to mush them up and change the texture. I like them just barely cooked with lots of butter and salt.

I had no idea so I had to look it up:
Asafoetida is a plant that has a bad smell and tastes bitter. It is sometimes called "devil's dung."
I guess that article was probably written by a Westerner who´s never cooked Indian food:D:D
And yes - it´s got a very strong smell, but nothing worse than anchovies, shrimp paste, simmered tripe or boiled pork belly.
Indian cooks, particularly strict Hindus, use it to substitute onions and garlic (which they are not allowed to eat. Once it hits the holt oil/ghee in a pan, it changes and adds a wonderful layer of flavour to a dish.

I guess that article was probably written by a Westerner who´s never cooked Indian food:D:D
And yes - it´s got a very strong smell, but nothing worse than anchovies, shrimp paste, simmered tripe or boiled pork belly.
Indian cooks, particularly strict Hindus, use it to substitute onions and garlic (which they are not allowed to eat. Once it hits the holt oil/ghee in a pan, it changes and adds a wonderful layer of flavour to a dish.

Or, by a Texan who doesn't like Indian food. :laugh:

CD

Looking at that date, I better get around to making these sooner or later, huh? :laugh:

I have never used a microwave for cooking peas, mushy or otherwise.

However, to cook on the hob: I soak overnight using 2 tsp bicarb per 1 kg dried peas. As the peas absorb water add more.

Wash thoroughly before adding to a big pot with another 2 tsp bicarb and cover with water about 25 mm above. Bring to the boil and simmer for well over 1 hour to obtain the correct consistency; i.e. no hard lumps. Skim off any foam that develops. Then add the salt and sugar to taste.

Always mushy? We ate them a lot too, but it seems like a lot of trouble to mush them up and change the texture. I like them just barely cooked with lots of butter and salt.
I think you're thinking of petit pois or garden peas, which are a different type of pea than those used to make mushy peas.

Garden peas/petit pois are the peas harvested young, and yes (assuming they're fresh) barely cooked is the best way to eat them. They should be sweet and juicy.

Mushy peas are made from dried peas called marrowfat which are peas that are more mature and have been allowed to grow much bigger and become starchier. They're then dried after harvest and can be stored for years. To make mushy peas you need to soak the dried peas and then cook them down until they're mushy. I don't think it would be very pleasant to eat either fresh or re-hydrated marrofat peas.....as they're quite starchy the texture wouldn't be all that nice. The taste is also totally different to fresh peas.

Garden peas/petit pois:
76019.jpg

Dried marrowfat peas:
Pack-It-In-Zero-Waste-Living-Marrowfat-Peas-scaled.jpg

Indeed. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom