Do you like mushy peas?

I think you're thinking of petit pois or garden peas, which are a different type of pea than those used to make mushy peas.

Garden peas/petit pois are the peas harvested young, and yes (assuming they're fresh) barely cooked is the best way to eat them. They should be sweet and juicy.

Mushy peas are made from dried peas called marrowfat which are peas that are more mature and have been allowed to grow much bigger and become starchier. They're then dried after harvest and can be stored for years. To make mushy peas you need to soak the dried peas and then cook them down until they're mushy. I don't think it would be very pleasant to eat either fresh or re-hydrated marrofat peas.....as they're quite starchy the texture wouldn't be all that nice. The taste is also totally different to fresh peas.

Garden peas/petit pois:
View attachment 79625

Dried marrowfat peas:
View attachment 79626
Thanks!

If they taste like split pea soup I would eat them, but hold the mint!

Yes, they taste like split peas (in fact I think they are the same thing but whole rather than split) and usually mint wouldn't be eaten with them.
I like split pea soup with chopped carrots, potato, and onion, plus some ham and/or bacon for flavor. Oh and garlic in my house. Not everyone does that, but I am obsessed a bit with garlic.

Mushy peas, on the burner...er, I mean to say, on the hob:

Back
Top Bottom