Do you like to read cookery books?

Do you read your cookery books? I mean actually read them for pleasure - not just use them to look up a recipe or to consult when short of an idea for dinner. Have you ever read a cookery book from cover to cover?

I'm not sure I've ever sat and read one all the way through - but I certainly do read them. Some are much better reads than others. Do you have any favourite cookery book reads?

I believe that I have read "A Taste of India" - Madhur Jaffrey cover to cover (with the exception of some of the recipes). The book describes the geography and peoples of a number of areas/states of India not only with regard to the food from the area. Of course there are a number of recipes listed which are significant to the areas in question. The photographs are amazing.

I am currently reading an old looking book, "Cooking with Elizabeth Craig" no date in it but seems pre WW2. Its emphasizes cups and gills as a measure so may be American. Anyone got any idea who Elizabeth Graig is/was?

TastyReuben
What gives with the kid photo
Is that really you as a child?
I prefer your "Professor Look ". It suits your sharp whit better than a photo of a child. On second thought a photo of a child is just another bit of your twisted humor. You always make me laugh.
Love your humor and you too.
Be safe.

TastyReuben
What gives with the kid photo
Is that really you as a child?
I prefer your "Professor Look ". It suits your sharp whit better than a photo of a child. On second thought a photo of a child is just another bit of your twisted humor. You always make me laugh.
Love your humor and you too.
Be safe.
Ok, so first, that is me, though I couldn't tell you the age I am there.

Second, my mom (81yo) just got her first smartphone, so she texted me that picture. You know how when you're taking a picture with a phone, you can skew the subject out of proportion, especially foreheads?

Well, I don't know how well that picture shows on this site when viewing it on a desktop/laptop (I'm exclusively on a phone), but the way she took that picture, my face is normal, but my head is huuuuge, like I'm some kind of alien brainiac evil genius.

That's the first part that's funny to me, but what really gets me is that my mom didn't even realize it. Maybe she thinks that's how I really look!

Ok, so first, that is me, though I couldn't tell you the age I am there.

Second, my mom (81yo) just got her first smartphone, so she texted me that picture. You know how when you're taking a picture with a phone, you can skew the subject out of proportion, especially foreheads?

Well, I don't know how well that picture shows on this site when viewing it on a desktop/laptop (I'm exclusively on a phone), but the way she took that picture, my face is normal, but my head is huuuuge, like I'm some kind of alien brainiac evil genius.

That's the first part that's funny to me, but what really gets me is that my mom didn't even realize it. Maybe she thinks that's how I really look!
It's a great pic - mishapened or not. That smile is the best - seems to shout HAPPY and maybe a little bit of "mischief" 😮

Thanks TastyReuben & Morning Glory, so the book is not as old as first thought. She suggests in one recipe one tsp of "tomato catsup" maybe there is a Scott that can say what this is?, maybe "tomato ketchup". I am surprised Elizabeth was a Scott as she uses cups as a measure but she also uses a gill as a measure, I assumed a gill was a spirit measure in a pub/bar?

Thanks TastyReuben & Morning Glory, so the book is not as old as first thought. She suggests in one recipe one tsp of "tomato catsup" maybe there is a Scott that can say what this is?, maybe "tomato ketchup". I am surprised Elizabeth was a Scott as she uses cups as a measure but she also uses a gill as a measure, I assumed a gill was a spirit measure in a pub/bar?
"Catsup" is just an alternate spelling of ketchup, so that's what she likely means.

Back
Top Bottom