Do you like to read cookery books?

I like to read the front part telling you about the book and author, and year the book was printed. I just realised my fave curry book was printed in the 80s. An oldie but a goodie!!

Russ

Got THIS one the other day from Amazon.com.:wink:

I love looking through old cookery books. and often sit and read those which include a bit of history. You can tell which ones I use the most - they are held together with elastic bands. My 1970s Indian cookery book has even gone to a second copy which is also now in pieces! The books are also full of bookmarks - many and old Christmas or birthday card have been cut into strips solely for this purpose.

Since most cookbooks today are not written by the actual individual themselves, I'm prone to not read them per se. If it is a new cuisine to me, I'll read enough to understand the ingredients and techniques.

Cookbooks that tell a story in addition to recipes. Chef John Folse's cookbooks. I have Hooks, Lies and Alibis. It chronicles the history of the seafood industry in Louisiana. The recipes are a compilation of recipes Folse has gathered over the years. Each one includes personal tidbits from the contributor of the recipe.
Who's Your Mama, Are You Catholic and Can You Make A Roux by Marcelle Bienvenu. Wonderful Cajun and Creole recipes augmented with stories of Marcelle's childhood and Cajun/Creole heritage.

The recipes are great - I really like the stories.

I don't use my cook books near as much as i used to. It is too easy to research on line and find multiple recipes for the same dish. I can pick and choose and combine ingredients and techniques.

Sylvia Woods got started in South Carolina cooking & baking She had a large family and later decided to go into business with her own restaurant. Then she moved up north to New York City & Opened her own fam-owned restaurant. She ran it until her death a few years ago.

Celebs everywhere had flo0ck to the place to enjoy her soulful cuisine. She even sold spices & canned goods. It has always been her dream to get into the restaurant business.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom