Do you like to read cookery books?

Reading cookery books is what got me into cooking. I've always had the ability to 'taste' a dish through reading a recipe, and as a 6 year old I apparently already read my grandma's cookbooks while gesturing like I was eating lol :laugh:

The first cookbook I ever owned was a 'cooking with kids' book that I got from my grandma due to this particular hobby, and it's always been an interest of mine since. I must own at least a 100 cookbooks by now.

My favorites are usually chefs biographies like Nigel Slater's toast, that's such a delicious book.

Same thing happened with me!! It was with an old American Culinary Arts cookbook, or something like that. As I looked through it, I used to be dazzled over the pics of luscious looking dishes of food that I found. Actually, that is what started me making yeast breads!! :wink:

All the time. I rarely read a book now. It's fun to read cookbooks. Some of my favorites Julia Child's, Deep Run Roots by Vivian Howard and vintage cookbooks. I finished one recently about Savannah, Georgia. Recipes from cooks during the early days of Savannah to the 1930s. Fascinating! I love older cookbooks the best, they tell a story.

I don't enjoy reading at all but cook books are different. I always just pick up a random cook book, usually one I haven't looked at for a while and go through it, often over a coffee and breakfast. I've now started to mark the pages with sticky tabs on the recipies I want to try. I've got so many now, I will have to count them. It's awful really but I reckon I've actually only used 20% of them. I'm not into shoes and handbags; cookbooks, pots and pans seem to be my thing.

I've now started to mark the pages with sticky tabs on the recipies I want to try.
You mean like this? :)
ECDC086E-ED10-479A-80E1-992119959A54.jpeg

I don't enjoy reading at all but cook books are different. I always just pick up a random cook book, usually one I haven't looked at for a while and go through it, often over a coffee and breakfast. I've now started to mark the pages with sticky tabs on the recipies I want to try. I've got so many now, I will have to count them. It's awful really but I reckon I've actually only used 20% of them. I'm not into shoes and handbags; cookbooks, pots and pans seem to be my thing.

Hey @jojopops70! You are perfectly positioned to join in with our relatively new challenge: The Cookbook Game #3! It has just over 5 days to run on this round so you have time to join in (if you wish to).

Yesterday I looked at my cookbooks with tabs and papers sticking up marking all sorts of things. I don't know how old some of those markers are, but, when I checked out 3 or 4 books, I was surprised that I no longer wanted to have most of those marked any longer. Still have a lot of cookbooks with markers. Now I know what I will be doing when this forum is down for a while. lol

Yeah - I am trying to collect more vintage cookery books. The really old ones (1950's and earlier) are not easy to come by.
MG, your post sent me searching for my oldest cookbook. So far, I think it is this one. "Beer and Vittels" by Elizabeth Craig-pub. 1955 (in London) It is a very interesting read. Not too much about her (it is her 25th or 30th cookbook) but about beer. This is her first line in the introduction- "If there is one form of cookery that has been neglected more than another in Britain it is beer cookery."

MG, your post sent me searching for my oldest cookbook. So far, I think it is this one. "Beer and Vittels" by Elizabeth Craig-pub. 1955 (in London) It is a very interesting read. Not too much about her (it is her 25th or 30th cookbook) but about beer. This is her first line in the introduction- "If there is one form of cookery that has been neglected more than another in Britain it is beer cookery."

That sounds fascinating - I may see if I can get a copy. Amazon booksellers do sometimes stock vintage cookery books (goes off to look).

Got it - ordered for a small sum. Thanks!

Your welcome, hope you enjoy it.

Did you do a search on her? I was surprised by how many cookbooks she has written. Have you ever heard of her before?
Yea, I was bummed how little her book was going for. Thought I might make some money, guess not. lol DH bought me this book back in '02 at a used book store. He doesn't remember what he paid for it. So far, there are 7 pages marked. lol

I have three:
  • Mary Berry Fast Cakes (2018)
    The Best-Ever Books Of Cakes (2015)
    The Cookie And Biscuit Bible (2015)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom