Do you like to read cookery books?

In the UK, gill was an old imperial measurement before the metric system and not really a pub measure as far as I know. Its a quarter of a pint.

Wasn't whisky, gin, vodka, etc., measured in 5th of a gill (or 4th of a gill in Scotland)?

Bought another cookery book, Bread Baking for Beginners. :wink:

Got this today:

I say "new," but it's from 2005. I've been watching all her companion TV episodes, and the food looks so good, I bought the book. A bit disappointed in that it contains just a selection of recipes, not all the ones from the show, but at 78 episodes and 3-4 dishes a show, I really didn't expect 240+ recipes.

Since doing the show, she's gone on to set herself up as the authority on living "a French life," and her latest book is about how to open your house, and be a proper host in the French tradition, since the French are regarded as masters of effortless hosting. I want to read it, if for no other reason, judging from the reviews on Amazon, she's highly opinionated and spends a good portion of the book slagging off us poor provincial Americans, with our bad table manners and poorly-developed palates. I love reading about my shortcomings! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom