Do you make your own pesto?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:51 AM
Last summer I made a lot of basil pesto with roasted pine nuts, it's loved around here, has anyone tried it with walnuts or pecans? I'd love to know from those that may have made it, basil is huge here so I'm not far away from making again. The other thing is with cashews?? Any thoughts please?

Russ

Yes, I make my own pesto every so often. Easy to do with a food processor or stick blender, and it takes about five minutes.

I usually make it with walnuts, because pine nuts are crazy expensive, like $7US for a little 1/2-cup packet. It's good either way, and I don't really pick up much difference. Walnuts are a little more earthy, maybe.

Last summer I made a lot of basil pesto with roasted pine nuts, it's loved around here, has anyone tried it with walnuts or pecans? I'd love to know from those that may have made it, basil is huge here so I'm not far away from making again. The other thing is with cashews?? Any thoughts please?

Russ

I make my own pesto (usually the classic Genoese basil pesto), although in fact pine nuts are not very cheap even around here, unless you choose a quality a little too cheap but then they won't give any boost to it.
So sometimes I prepare it even without pine nuts, obtaining a simple basil cream.

I have never tried to add walnuts or pecans or cashews (or maybe I did and I simply don't remember), I'm afraid they would kill the taste of the basil.

Instead they are very good as a pesto on their own.

Have you ever tried pesto made with arugula? It tastes a bit strong, but it's really good.

I make my own pesto (usually the classic Genoese basil pesto), although in fact pine nuts are not very cheap even around here, unless you choose a quality a little too cheap but then they won't give any boost to it.
So sometimes I prepare it even without pine nuts, obtaining a simple basil cream.

I have never tried to add walnuts or pecans or cashews (or maybe I did and I simply don't remember), I'm afraid they would kill the taste of the basil.

Instead they are very good as a pesto on their own.

Have you ever tried pesto made with arugula? It tastes a bit strong, but it's really good.

I havnt seen arugula here, but I will keep an eye out. I didn't think we could get emanthal here til a few days ago. Daughter bought some.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom