Do you treat yourself??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by rascal, Mar 29, 2019.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Talking of treating - today I had some crevettes (large Madagascan prawns) which were delicious...with grapes for the Recipe Challenge :)

Seafood is very high on my treat list!

rascal likes this.
  2. rascal

rascal Über Member

I'm very lucky in that I know lots of people that I do swaps with, I get whitebait for swaps ( $100 kg) Paua aka abelone also swaps.

Russ

3. rascal

rascal Über Member

You would love my freezers then, prawns as well. Paua and Crays

Russ

4. rascal

rascal Über Member

Have you had Paua/abalone patties/ fritters?

Russ

CraigC likes this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Abalone is impossible to obtain here, Its very much a NZ / Aussie thing and isn't found in our UK seas. I'd love to try it though.

rascal likes this.
  6. rascal

rascal Über Member

Maybe if you visit nz?? :). Paua pronounced pa wa. My son dives for it when in kaikoura. He doesn't eat it but knows I do. I make fritters or patties ? And they are very popular with seafood lovers. I put on a day at my home on nz cup day for about 30 of my best friends, I serve whitebait patties Paua patties and crayfish along with catered finger foods. It's very popular here as the seafood is very expensive. It's a great day.

Russ

7. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

My scuba-diving boyfriend used to bring abalone home years ago. I think it's illegal here now.

rascal likes this.
  8. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

When I opened the front door, he was standing there with a snorkel and fins, and a lobster in each hand…:laugh::roflmao:

morning glory likes this.
  9. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I sometimes like to treat myself to some deserts. Since I'm a diabetic, I have to watch the glucose level, but it does not mean that I can't have something sweet once in a while!! :wink:

10. rascal

rascal Über Member

Really? Why?

Russ

11. rascal

rascal Über Member

Lol

12. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

Endangered? Or perhaps the amount you take is limited.

rascal likes this.
  13. rascal

rascal Über Member

I think we are allowed 12 per person.

Russ

14. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

Depends on the type of mushrooms. Some can get pretty pricy. Fresh porcini anyone? Even some of the others, morels and chantarelles (sp?)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  15. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

It's very similar to conch if you've ever had that. A friend from California has given us some in the past that he caught himself. Sometime within the last year or so they put a ban on taking abalone.

It has been illegal to take conch in the U.S. for years and years. Most of what we get comes from the Bahamas.

Overfishing for the conch, probably the same for abalone.

Conch is Atlantic/Caribbean. Abalone is Pacific.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019