Do you treat yourself??

You are lucky - the crayfish we get here are tiny! Tasty but tiny. At least, the ones I get in the supermarket are. But I doubt any in the UK grow anywhere near lobster size.

I'm very lucky in that I know lots of people that I do swaps with, I get whitebait for swaps ( $100 kg) Paua aka abelone also swaps.

Russ

Abalone is impossible to obtain here, Its very much a NZ / Aussie thing and isn't found in our UK seas. I'd love to try it though.

Maybe if you visit nz?? :). Paua pronounced pa wa. My son dives for it when in kaikoura. He doesn't eat it but knows I do. I make fritters or patties ? And they are very popular with seafood lovers. I put on a day at my home on nz cup day for about 30 of my best friends, I serve whitebait patties Paua patties and crayfish along with catered finger foods. It's very popular here as the seafood is very expensive. It's a great day.

Russ

My scuba-diving boyfriend used to bring abalone home years ago. I think it's illegal here now.

When I opened the front door, he was standing there with a snorkel and fins, and a lobster in each hand…:laugh::roflmao:

I sometimes like to treat myself to some deserts. Since I'm a diabetic, I have to watch the glucose level, but it does not mean that I can't have something sweet once in a while!! :wink:

When it comes to oysters I never think twice about treating myself. Ditto with fresh lobster. Mushrooms on toast is a lovely dish but really quite modest, I think. I mean, not expensive or calorific.

You have me craving mushrooms on toast!

Depends on the type of mushrooms. Some can get pretty pricy. Fresh porcini anyone? Even some of the others, morels and chantarelles (sp?)

Last edited:
Abalone is impossible to obtain here, Its very much a NZ / Aussie thing and isn't found in our UK seas. I'd love to try it though.

It's very similar to conch if you've ever had that. A friend from California has given us some in the past that he caught himself. Sometime within the last year or so they put a ban on taking abalone.

It has been illegal to take conch in the U.S. for years and years. Most of what we get comes from the Bahamas.

Overfishing for the conch, probably the same for abalone.

Conch is Atlantic/Caribbean. Abalone is Pacific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom