Do you use bay leaves?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:00 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I came close to adding this to the existing Bay leaves (European) topic, but I figured it was best to start a new one.

I have used them for things that CraigC mentions in the above thread, as well as the occasional stew. I did this because I based my recipes on existing recipes as a starting point. But, to be honest, I was able go for a long period (years?) without using them, and I didn't miss them. I am only now starting to use them because they are an ingredient in my gin recipe.

But, as I research this topic, it seems that I should start using them. I can make a perfectly good gumbo without them, but apparently the gumbo will be better if I add them.

I use them for the dishwashing challenge. LOL The "dishwashing" challenge is that the cook doesn't remove the bay leaf before serving and whoever gets it has to wash the dishes. ;-)

Seriously, though, I use them in sauces (ie. pasta, gumbo, etc.). Like you, sometimes I've questioned if it really matters but it can add a hint of flavor for those accustomed to using/tasting it.

I've always found bay to be a subtle flavor add . . . too much tending to distract.
some ideas:
beans black - bay leaf, cumin
beef boiled - bay leaf, dill, horseradish
beef marinades - bay leaf, cloves, caraway seed
beef stew - bay leaf, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, parsley, savory, thyme
beets - bay leaf, caraway seed, cloves, coriander, fennel seeds, horseradish, mustard seed, rosemary, savory, tarragon
black beans - bay leaf, cumin
boiled beef - bay leaf, dill, horseradish
braises - allspice, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, paprika
casseroles - bay leaf
chicken stock - bay leaf, thyme
chowders - rosemary, tarragon, bay leaf, dill, thyme
fish stock - bay leaf, thyme
fish, poached - bay leaf
game - bay leaf, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage
jambalaya - bay leaf
lamb stew - bay leaf, coriander
lentils - bay leaf, sage, savory
marinades - bay leaf, celery seed, cilantro, coriander, fennel seeds, oregano, parsley, rosemary, tarragon
meat stocks - bay leaf
pasta sauces - basil, bay leaf, oregano, parsley, tarragon
poached fish - bay leaf
pot roast - allspice, bay leaf
poultry - bay leaf, curry powder, dill, fenugreek, garlic, ginger, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, paprika, parsley, rosemary, savory, thyme
red beans and rice - bay leaf, thyme
soups - basil, bay leaf, cayenne, celery seed, garlic, sage, savory, watercress
stews - basil, bay leaf, coriander, garlic, paprika, tarragon
stocks - bay leaf, cloves
tomato sauces - basil, bay leaf, garlic, marjoram, oregano, parsley, rosemary
veal roast - bay leaf, chervil

Thanks. I think they summed it up perfectly here:
It's understandable why you may think they're optional. Bay leaf, by its very nature, plays second fiddle to other, more prominent flavors. But just as a grind of black pepper, some sautéed anchovies, or a softened leek might not be instantly recognizable in a stew, they add a layer of subtle background music for the stars of your dish to play over.

Bay leaves are widely used in Portuguese cuisine so I use them, but truth be told I don't really care for their flavor and can happily go without.

Out of curiosity people here don't usually buy bay leaves, everyone knows someone who knows someone who has a tree and will happily supply you!

I love bay leaves but I reckon fresh are much better than dried. I like them so much I have three bay trees in pots in the garden. They are easy to grow and evergreen so you have fresh leaves all year round.

Actually, I have always heard that bay leaves don't develop their full flavor until weeks after they are picked and have dried. I would expect that flavor to diminish over an extended amount of time -- like months.

CD

Actually, I have always heard that bay leaves don't develop their full flavor until weeks after they are picked and have dried. I would expect that flavor to diminish over an extended amount of time -- like months.

CD
Mines in an air tight container . I also use them in my pickled gerkins/ pickles. Lots of spices in that.

Russ

I love bay leaves but I reckon fresh are much better than dried. I like them so much I have three bay trees in pots in the garden. They are easy to grow and evergreen so you have fresh leaves all year round.
My Mum had a tree, when we were kids we used to dry the leave crush and sprinkle on tea and smoke it in a home made bong bong bong. I have also use dried crushed bay added to tea for smoking fish in a wok.

Back
Top Bottom