Do you use bay leaves?

Actually, I have always heard that bay leaves don't develop their full flavor until weeks after they are picked and have dried. I would expect that flavor to diminish over an extended amount of time -- like months.

CD
Hmm - I will have to pick a few and set aside to compare. I haven't found he dried bay I've used in the past to be anywhere near as good as fresh.
My experience is the same as Morning Glory - the leaves I pick fresh from the tree always impart more flavour to a dish than dried ones. I thought it was the oils in the leaves that contain most of the flavour - which is why its sometimes suggested to bruise the leaves.

Bay leaves are usually removed after cooking or left as a garnish, which is not eaten. Ground Bay Leaf intensifies the flavor of Bay Leaf and of course, is not removed and is consumed. I use Ground Bay Leaf and whole Bay Leaf both. Bay Leaves are more often used in meals with a liquid character like Soups or Stews, else their effects are limited and to that end, a visual Garnish only. Ground Bay Leaf has a wider range of applicability.

However, for whatever reason, I cannot taste any flavor they impart to my meals, so I've since ceased buying or using them. A waste of my time?

I've three pots of bay growing in the garden. I love bay leaves and most definitely can taste them. They contain the compound eugenol which is also found in cloves and allspice berries (markedy so in both), basil, some fruit such as peaches and tomatoes, smoked foods, and also in barrel aged wines.

see below for a taste test:

Here's an easy way to see what bay leaves really taste like: throw a couple in a pot of water and let it simmer. Taste it after five minutes and you'll probably get a good hit of menthol and eucalyptus (think: Vick's VapoRub). That's the chemical eugenol you're smelling, and it's the biggest constituent in the bay leaf's flavor arsenal of more than 50 compounds.

Let them simmer for longer as they would in a stew—say, an hour or so—and you'll notice that the flavor and aroma will change. The harsh nose-clearing menthol will taper down, while more complex tea-like aromas will start to come forward. Those are the flavors you're looking to add to your soups, stews, and sauces.

What's the Point of Bay Leaves? | Ask The Food Lab

Back
Top Bottom