Do You Use Your Phone/Tablet/Laptop In The Kitchen?

I keep most of my recipes in Evernote (except for a few that are in Excel so I can scale them up or down) so some kind of computer in the kitchen is essential. I also have to fill my online food diary - which although it can be done from a phone browser, its a bit fiddly and slow.

I don't like tablets so I have a small Chromebook that pretty much lives in the kitchen - it only takes up the same space as a tablet, but it has a proper keyboard, the screen is self supporting at any angle, and you can use an external mouse :okay: For timers I either use the one on the cooker or I use Alexa.

If I'm multi-tasking (ie. supposed to be working at the same time) then I'll just take my work laptop down with me....and make sure to keep it away from too much mess!

Would you recommend Alexa? I keep toying with the idea of getting an Echo Dot but not sure I need it.
Yes I really like them - we have 4 around the house. We mostly use them for listening to music, turning lights on and off, and adding things to the shopping list or directly to my Ocado trolley.

If I'm multi-tasking (ie. supposed to be working at the same time) then I'll just take my work laptop down with me....and make sure to keep it away from too much mess!
Work laptop before the one I have now, the day I got it, I brought it home an promptly spilled an entire 20oz beer over it.

I took it in the next day and gave it back to the hardware guys, who took it apart and cleaned it, and it worked ok for the next 18 months (we get new computers every 18 months at work), but the keys never would stop sticking. Sometimes, I'd hit a key, and it'd stay stuck on, sometimes it wouldn't work at all.

How does it do that?
If you have smart-plugs, -bulbs or -light switches you can link them to Alexa so you can activate them via a voice command. For example we have ours set up so if you come in the front door and say "Alexa, I'm home" she'll turn on the lamp in the hallway and the under-counter lights in the kitchen....very useful when your hands are full of bags :okay:

Work laptop before the one I have now, the day I got it, I brought it home an promptly spilled an entire 20oz beer over it.

I took it in the next day and gave it back to the hardware guys, who took it apart and cleaned it, and it worked ok for the next 18 months (we get new computers every 18 months at work), but the keys never would stop sticking. Sometimes, I'd hit a key, and it'd stay stuck on, sometimes it wouldn't work at all.
Lol, you reminded me, I was at work about 10 years ago and doin an e mail with lots of mistakes in it. Went back and realised my son had changed two keys one letter over. I would never have thought of that. He thought it was funny.

Russ

I have my phone handy in the kitchen. This is always for photos, but also sometimes to look up recipes (almost always mine). If I know I'll need to refer frequently to something, I'll use my laptop: the screen doesn't go dark after 30 seconds, so I don't have to keep washing my hands off and signing in.

I use both my phone and laptop in the kitchen. The phone for photos. Both for research. My laptop is small (13"screen) and very light weight - no disk drive. The screen fold back for tablet mode. Both the phone and lap top can be voice activated. When I try a new recipe I research and choose two or three that sound the best. Using the phone and the lap top I can reference more than one recipe using bits from one and bits from another.
I have finally gotten into the habit of doing all of my prep work in advance. Life in the kitchen is so much easier with planning and organization. Now if only I could teach that lesson to George.

I don't use either my laptop nor my handphone in the kitchen. I've tried the phone but it just doesn't seem right. Anyway, I get the exercise running between the kitchen and laptop on the stoep to check recipes.

I sometimes use my laptop in the kitchen, sitting at the end of the peninsula. Sometimes it is to look up recipes, or to record recipes I make. Sometimes like right now is because I'm sitting here after having left it here.

I use an actual Canon camera to take photos of food I'm making.

The phone is just too tiny an object to use for any serious writing, or for reading recipes while I'm trying to create them - I'd have to keep picking the thing up to be able to see what it said, and I really don't want or need food in the thing.

I use an actual Canon camera to take photos of food I'm making.

I used to use a Canon digital camera (and also a Pentax) until I realised the quality I could get with a Samsung Galaxy (S7) phone was much better - plus the Galaxy is also better in low light conditions. I remember when I first discovered this - my son had a Galaxy and snapped a photo of some food I made. I was impressed. I then did a test - I used his phone camera to photograph a range of set ups and took shots with the Canon at the same time to compare.

Following this test, I promptly bought myself a Galaxy!

Back
Top Bottom