Does your partner cook?

I argued a little at first until I realized it was the truth. Only the term that they used (slightly in jest) was the particular name of a infamous German leader from WWII...ugh. ☹ I protested about the name and they changed it to "dictator" which was more acceptable to me.

Ciao,

I see kitchen my domain, I very much dislike others in when I cook I dislike chaos also. If some one put thing in wrong place I very cross. I feel to many in kitchen dangerous, I like Ray or Bambini talk with me when I cook BUT, I have small round table with four seat at opposite end of kitchen and when I cook no body is allowed past table. I need concentrate.

Sarana x

Ciao,

I see kitchen my domain, I very much dislike others in when I cook I dislike chaos also. If some one put thing in wrong place I very cross. I feel to many in kitchen dangerous, I like Ray or Bambini talk with me when I cook BUT, I have small round table with four seat at opposite end of kitchen and when I cook no body is allowed past table. I need concentrate.

Sarana x

We have a bar around the kitchen. When I am cooking no one passes around the bar either :D

THOU SHALLT NOT PASS

Ciao,

Sarana x
I'm the same way with needing to concentrate. I get distracted very easily and if someone is trying to talk to me, or even talking to each other, I get upended mentally in no time.

I made Yorkshire puds last week, simple recipe, everything gets dumped in together, and since it's just us two, I planned on making half a recipe (6 puds).

I started gathering and measuring everything ahead of time, like a good cook should, and started out halving everything, then MrsTasty interrupted me with something completely unimportant, one of those, "Oh, this is interesting..." things that isn't interesting at all, took all of a minute to tell me whatever it was, and when I turned back to my recipe, I finished adding full amounts of everything.

Thankfully, the fix was simply to go back and add more of the first few ingredients and make a whole batch, but that's why I'm so adamant that I don't even want to know anyone else exists during the time I'm in the kitchen, not even the dog.

My spouse knows I begrudgingly allow her into the kitchen and that is only so she can fix her own drinks. I told her recently that we needed separate refrigerators because she takes up too much space with her sodas and yogurt. Her feelings were a little hurt. :laugh:

When I was married, my wife and I both cooked -- separately or together. She'd have her things to cook and had mine, and we just cooked and chatted. We had a neighbor couple who came over from time to time and all four of us would cook a big spread. We had a big kitchen. We had fun, the food was good, and of course, we had beverages handy while we cooked. :okay:

My wife's real talent was baking, which was not my thing at all. I focused more on meats and some sides.

After dinner, we would clean the kitchen together. I hate cleaning the kitchen, but with someone else helping and having someone to talk to while cleaning made it a lot more pleasant.

CD

My spouse knows I begrudgingly allow her into the kitchen and that is only so she can fix her own drinks. I told her recently that we needed separate refrigerators because she takes up too much space with her sodas and yogurt. Her feelings were a little hurt. :laugh:
Yeah, sodas...those are those fizzy things you mix with alcohol. But I rarely refrigerate mine, when I am ready to mix a drink I pour booze and then mix fizzy stuff in it (if it's that kind of drink). But if someone wanted a virgin rum and Coke (sans the rum obviously) wouldn't they just put ice in a glass and then pour Coke in it? Or, I suppose if someone likes to drink sodas out of the can or bottle, they could put one or two in the refrigerator beforehand each day as opposed to a 6-pack or 12-pack instead of wasting space. Now yogurt...well not much you can do about that.

But if someone wanted a virgin rum and Coke (sans the rum obviously) wouldn't they just put ice in a glass and then pour Coke in it?
The short answer is, that melts the ice too fast. Cold pop over ice to get it as cold as possible and to keep it that way as long as possible.

With a dad who worked over 40 years at a soft drinks bottling company, I was an expert pop drinker. It's all we drank growing up, morning, noon, and night. I drink very, very little now, though.

My in-laws used to keep pop in the pantry, and I'd get a glass, fill it with ice, pour over the pop, and in about three minutes, had a disappointing glass of water with a hint of cola flavor. Pop cold from the fridge, you just need a few ice cubes, and you can even skip those in a pinch.

I guess there's just a LOT more rum in my glass than Coke. But still seems someone could put 1-2 bottles or cans in the frig the day before they want to drink it.

I guess there's just a LOT more rum in my glass than Coke. But still seems someone could put 1-2 bottles or cans in the frig the day before they want to drink it.
Part of that, of course, depends on how much pop you drink. It's not unusual for someone in my family (not us) to drink five or six cans of pop a day, and multiply that by three or four people, and there you go. You've heard of a DBF, a Dedicated Beer Fridge? My next oldest brother has what we've dubbed his DMDF - Dedicated Mountain Dew Fridge, a separate full-sized fridge on his back porch, loaded with nothing much besides cans and cans of Mountain Dew, and a box of Snickers! :laugh:

However, I know Milkduds is just talking about one other person, so I'm just making a general observation.

Well, to add clarity, at any given time in our refrigerator there are 4 each of at least 2 different kinds of sodas, 3 gallons of milk, 2 gallons of tea (1 each, we drink different kinds) and any random juice someone thought looked good. Then there's the yogurt and the fruit cups (the refrigerated kind.) Maybe a more accurate thing for me to say is we need a separate refrigerator for drinks and snacks. However, I don't drink sodas or milk so I tend to blame her but I buy lots of produce and that takes up a lot of space too.

Well, to add clarity, at any given time in our refrigerator there are 4 each of at least 2 different kinds of sodas, 3 gallons of milk, 2 gallons of tea (1 each, we drink different kinds) and any random juice someone thought looked good. Then there's the yogurt and the fruit cups (the refrigerated kind.) Maybe a more accurate thing for me to say is we need a separate refrigerator for drinks and snacks. However, I don't drink sodas or milk so I tend to blame her but I buy lots of produce and that takes up a lot of space too.
Part of that, of course, depends on how much pop you drink. It's not unusual for someone in my family (not us) to drink five or six cans of pop a day, and multiply that by three or four people, and there you go. You've heard of a DBF, a Dedicated Beer Fridge? My next oldest brother has what we've dubbed his DMDF - Dedicated Mountain Dew Fridge, a separate full-sized fridge on his back porch, loaded with nothing much besides cans and cans of Mountain Dew, and a box of Snickers! :laugh:

Its strange to hear these stories about 'pop'. I'm assuming pop its any carbonated (sweet) soft drink? We don't tend to use the term a lot in the UK.

I'm sure you can all guess how much pop is in my fridges (I've 2 fridges).

Its strange to hear these stories about 'pop'. I'm assuming pop its any carbonated (sweet) soft drink? We don't tend to use the term a lot in the UK.

I'm sure you can all guess how much pop is in my fridges (I've 2 fridges).
Yep. Coca-cola, root beer, Sprite, any of that stuff you'd probably call a fizzy drink is pop in my area.

I say "in my area," because it's very much a regional thing. Where MrsTasty is from, it's called soda. Those seem to be the two biggest variants here. I can't remember where I was, Buffalo maybe, where "coke" was the generic term for any pop, like, "I'd like a coke, please," and you'd get a reply of, "We've got Sprite coke, root beer coke, orange coke, or Coke...what'll it be?" :laugh:

In my fridge are three cans of pop, all Vernor's diet ginger ale. They've been in there at least three months. Out in the garage are opened 12-packs of diet cola, diet root beer, and diet 7Up. Those four 12-packs (including the ginger ale) were purchased I don't know when, but they'll last at least through the summer, and probably the fall as well.

When we have a pop, it's either cola or ginger ale in a cocktail, and we use one can to make four cocktails, or one of the other ones to have with popcorn and we split a can, or root beer specifically for root beer floats, and we split a can.

Back
Top Bottom