Does your partner cook?

Oh and my niece is a cook on Coastie boat in Sabine Pass.

Not much left of Sabine Pass, thanks to hurricanes and tropic storms. We used to drive through there to go to the beach, but the beach highway (87) is gone. You have to go to Winnie and South to Bolivar Peninsula, now.

A lot of my classmates live in Port Neches and Nederland -- a few in Bridge City and Beaumont. The population of Port Arthur has dropped from close to 80,000 when I was in High School, to about 50,000 now.

I go back there once or twice a year. We had our 40-year reunion last summer (Thomas Jefferson HS).

CD

My niece is in the Coast Guard, the Sabine station is still there. My cousins went to school at TJ. Do you know Becky Daire (maiden name)? She and her husband own the Chick fil A. I go to PA every year for Thanksgiving. Probably won't make it this year because of the virus​

Last edited:
One of my other cousins is a neighbor of Judice's over on the bayou (not the restaurant obviously, his house). After Harvey flooded her house he came over and took her and her dog out by boat.

Hey everyone, so sorry for the thread hijack, but the town we are referring to is about a 20 hour drive from where I live now and it's a really small town. So interesting to find someone randomly on the internet who not only knows where this town is but has actually lived there.

So tomorrow my husband is going fishing on Lake Erie. They will be fishing for Walleye (a type of pike) that is quite delicious. The fish can range in size quite a bit, hoping for some nice 4-5 pound size fish. I think the limit this year is 7 fish per person. If the Walleye are not biting, it will be perch instead (not sure if there is a limit on those). Even though they are much smaller, they are tasty as well, just not as meaty.

So that's what's for dinner tomorrow night!

Mod.Comment: This thread seems to have gone walkies all over the place. :) May decide to move a whole section of posts to a new thread about 'pop' and regions...

My parents are very traditional in their roles, and my dad never even made a sandwich for himself until he retired. I wish that were an exaggeration, but when my mom had to go into the hospital decades ago, my sister had to stop by the house and make him a sandwich every day. :)

Since he retired, though, he's now the main breakfast maker, he cooks breakfast (eggs, potatoes, and ham) nearly every day. He stil won't make a sandwich, but he'll cook breakfast.

My dad was very much the opposite. Both of them cooked together in the kitchen, and both did early morning supermarket trips, sometimes hitting four groceries on Saturdays. Dad didn't make salads or desserts and Mom didn't grill (although she'd often make burger patties). They really bonded over their interactions in the kitchen. Dad was more experimental than Mom, although she was often ready to try new recipes.

Mom wouldn't let Dad do the dishes - she called the results with water splashed everywhere, "water buffalo activity".

(Of course, I wouldn't be able to get away with that! )

Yeah, sodas...those are those fizzy things you mix with alcohol. But I rarely refrigerate mine, when I am ready to mix a drink I pour booze and then mix fizzy stuff in it (if it's that kind of drink). But if someone wanted a virgin rum and Coke (sans the rum obviously) wouldn't they just put ice in a glass and then pour Coke in it? Or, I suppose if someone likes to drink sodas out of the can or bottle, they could put one or two in the refrigerator beforehand each day as opposed to a 6-pack or 12-pack instead of wasting space. Now yogurt...well not much you can do about that.

If you open up warm fizzy drinks they tend to spew all over the place. Especially since I lack air conditioning here.

Plus I find I get the best results with my SodaStream (CO2-charged fizzy-maker) if the water I use is chilled.

Yes, it is regional. Using "Coke" as generic for carbonated beverages is a Southern thing, especially Texas. You probably remember it from your time in San Antonio. It is common in Texas to ask someone if they want a Coke, and get a more specific answer like, Dr. Pepper. I've never heard anyone say something like "Sprite Coke" or "Root Beer Coke."

Also, the word "tea" means iced tea, and your options are sweet or unsweetened. If you want a cup of hot tea, you have to ask for hot tea. If you just ask for tea, you will get iced tea.

CD

I thought "Coke" as a generic was mostly Georgia, as that's where Coca Cola is based? Texas does it too? (Never been to Texas.)

Personally, I stick with selzer, or with selzer with a good sized wedge of lemon or lime squeezed into it. Or the selzter (without the citrus) added to a few fingers of rum. (I know rum and lime are supposed to be a thing, but not in my taste buds!

PS - glad to see an option for unsweetened ice tea down South! I loathe sweet tea! Went to a Chinese restaurant in Mississippi, and was served hot sugared tea. I asked to have it replaced, but apparently it was the only way it came. (I declined and switched to water - and decided that I'd go have the generic beef and broccoli since after that I didn't trust the establishment to cook anything more adventurous...)

No partner here, and when I did have official partners we never really moved in with each other. I'd cook or we'd go out to dinner.

I've had housemates. The first of these was an off campus situation where I (6 foot 1) housed with a 5 foot 2 woman who was concerned about her weight, which was above what the charts say weight should be. In my case, I looked anorexic... without being anorexic. We originally decided to split the food and cooking. (I weighed 140 lbs then.) My tastes were decidedly more adventurous than hers (not than in the middle of Indiana in the 70s much adventurous was available - and it was kind of harsh on me that the semi-adventurous stuff I was able to find was stuff she wouldn't touch.) Plus having monetary equity in what we purchased was showing up to be a serious problem. She wanted less, and I needed more.

Needless to say, this did NOT last long. Even without the disputes over buying margarine or buying butter, I was needing to eat more than she, In a month (or less) we amicably decided we'd go buy and cook our own meals. Occasionally we'd share but that became more and more rare an occurence.

My husband detests grocery shopping. In the past, I could only get him to go if I just needed a few things and he was going near there for other reasons. If I wanted to go too, he saw no reason for us both to go. I always wanted for us to be one of those cute older couples who grocery shop together. It ain't gonna happen. :meh:

My husband detests grocery shopping. In the past, I could only get him to go if I just needed a few things and he was going near there for other reasons. If I wanted to go too, he saw no reason for us both to go. I always wanted for us to be one of those cute older couples who grocery shop together. It ain't gonna happen. :meh:

Dad basically went because he wanted to make sure he got the ingredients he wanted, and they went when stores opened because both of them (especially Dad) hated crowds. And sometimes he might not know what he wanted until he saw the ingredient. But I understand!

I'm the opposite. Just like cooking, I want to do my shopping solo. I'm a very single-minded shopper when I have a list, and I usually have a list, and I just have a quick nature anyway.

MrsTasty does not. She's a plodder, and a browser, and she has no issue with starting in aisle 9, then moving over to aisle 2, then on to aisle 3, then back over to aisle 9...it's maddening.

When we shop together, she likes to push the cart, and I'll be sort of in the front, getting things, then putting them in the cart. When it's time to move to another section, like dairy, I'll say, "Ok, we need milk," and I'll take off, get to the milk case, load my arms with milk, half-and-half, buttermilk, whatever else I need from the case, turn around...and she's nowhere to be seen.

Then I have to try and find her while carrying all this stuff, and you'd think, how hard is it to find someone in a grocery store, but I won't be able to find her, so I have to put everything down, then call or text her, but her phone will be buried in her bag, so she won't hear it, and by the time I do find her, I'm ready to murder her, so yeah, it's best I go by myself.

Also, when she goes, half the food order is Oreos, Cap'n Crunch, Pringles, peanut butter M&M's, and the like. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom