Does your partner cook?

In my fridge are three cans of pop, all Vernor's diet ginger ale. They've been in there at least three months. Out in the garage are opened 12-packs of diet cola,

I did once get addicted to diet cola - that was the time when I gave up alcohol. Can't remember the last time I had a fizzy drink unless you count plain soda water or tonic water.

Talking of partners in the kitchen, I have a very close friend who can cook a bit but nothing more than basic. I often stay with him and do all the cooking when I'm there. Right now, as I can't visit, I'm trying to coach him remotely to cook a few more adventurous things. He isn't really taking to it and keeps making excuses...

Yep. Coca-cola, root beer, Sprite, any of that stuff you'd probably call a fizzy drink is pop in my area.

I say "in my area," because it's very much a regional thing. Where MrsTasty is from, it's called soda. Those seem to be the two biggest variants here. I can't remember where I was, Buffalo maybe, where "coke" was the generic term for any pop, like, "I'd like a coke, please," and you'd get a reply of, "We've got Sprite coke, root beer coke, orange coke, or Coke...what'll it be?" :laugh:

Yes, it is regional. Using "Coke" as generic for carbonated beverages is a Southern thing, especially Texas. You probably remember it from your time in San Antonio. It is common in Texas to ask someone if they want a Coke, and get a more specific answer like, Dr. Pepper. I've never heard anyone say something like "Sprite Coke" or "Root Beer Coke."

Also, the word "tea" means iced tea, and your options are sweet or unsweetened. If you want a cup of hot tea, you have to ask for hot tea. If you just ask for tea, you will get iced tea.

CD

It's a regional thing. To me, "Pop" is my dad, LOL. I grew up in a beach resort area of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, where people referred to carbonated beverages as soda. When I moved to Ohio, I noticed more people up here call it pop. But I have lived and visited enough US regions to know that soda and pop are the same thing, and in some places it is called soda pop. What's really funny? in some parts of the South US, all carbonated beverages are called "Cokes". So if you wanted an orange soda in some areas of the South, you would say, "I'd like an orange Coke." I found that really confusing when I first heard it. I thought they wanted the two beverages mixed together, which sounded pretty icky, LOL.

Edited to add that I just read posts above that said basically the same thing I just did.

Oh yeah, and that brings to mind something quite annoying: when I go to a bar and order a rum and Coke and they give me Pepsi. That is NOT what I asked for!

It's a regional thing. To me, "Pop" is my dad, LOL. I grew up in a beach resort area of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, where people referred to carbonated beverages as soda. When I moved to Ohio, I noticed more people up here call it pop. But I have lived and visited enough US regions to know that soda and pop are the same thing, and in some places it is called soda pop. What's really funny? in some parts of the South US, all carbonated beverages are called "Cokes". So if you wanted an orange soda in some areas of the South, you would say, "I'd like an orange Coke." I found that really confusing when I first heard it. I thought they wanted the two beverages mixed together, which sounded pretty icky, LOL.

Edited to add that I just read posts above that said basically the same thing I just did.

Once again, I've never heard anyone say, "an orange coke," or "a root beer coke." I've lived in Texas for 44 years.

Saying "I want a coke" down here is no different than saying pop or soda somewhere else. With all three, you have to follow up with a more specific kind.

CD

You don't live in SE Texas. Texas is a country unto itself, as you well know. So geographically diverse and the types of people there vary from one corner to the next.

My relatives in SE Texas are 10 miles from the Louisiana border and really are mostly Cajun. I remember when I was very young...one of my cousins told me they were going to get some mudbugs from the bank area (we were playing near a swampy area) and I asked why. They said they were going to catch them and eat them, and it freaked me out (until I learned later what they were).

I grew up in Florida but I have relatives all over the south, Texas included. And I have heard it. No, no root beer Coke, but when someone wanted a Fanta or Nehi orange or grape soda, they asked for an orange Coke or a grape Coke. If they wanted just cola, they asked for an RC or a Coke (remember RC cola?). I promise it's true.

I like all decent brands of rum. It depends on my mood. Some get juice, some get SODA (as in soda water with a citrus squeeze or flavored soda like "Coke" hahaha), and some go in a nice daiquiri. I like to cook with it for dessert or breakfast foods...like Malibu rum in pancakes :hungry:

BTW, I feel a MorningGlory mod. edit coming. :whistling:

CD
Okay, so back on track. Does preparing a mixed drink of rum and Coke count as cooking? Because my husband knows how to "cook" that. Oh, and garlic bread. So he made garlic bread tonight to go with my shrimp pasta, which turned out fantastic, BTW. It didn't look as pretty as I wanted and we were very, very hungry (and maybe a little tipsy) so I didn't take any photos.

You don't live in SE Texas. Texas is a country unto itself, as you well know. So geographically diverse and the types of people there vary from one corner to the next.

My relatives in SE Texas are 10 miles from the Louisiana border and really are mostly Cajun. I remember when I was very young...one of my cousins told me they were going to get some mudbugs from the bank area (we were playing near a swampy area) and I asked why. They said they were going to catch them and eat them, and it freaked me out (until I learned later what they were).

I grew up in Florida but I have relatives all over the south, Texas included. And I have heard it. No, no root beer Coke, but when someone wanted a Fanta or Nehi orange or grape soda, they asked for an orange Coke or a grape Coke. If they wanted just cola, they asked for an RC or a Coke (remember RC cola?). I promise it's true.

Um, I live in the Dallas area now, but I'm from Port Arthur. That's about as Southeast as you can get in Texas. Sorry, maybe some people said it, butI never heard it.

Unknown-1.jpeg

CD

How crazy! That's where my family lives! My parents met there and married. My aunts live in Bridge City and Port Neches. My cousin Becky and her husband live in Beaumont. Small world.

Last edited:
Oh and my niece is a cook on Coastie boat in Sabine Pass.

Back
Top Bottom