Don't you just love it when ...

Don't you just love it when the food challenge shows up as making a dent in your food budget, $633.88 USD, instead of the allocated $400.00 USD.

And don't you just love it when you can shirk that off and enjoy cooking with the additional (sometimes expensive) ingredients? Don't you just love it 'cause you still added to your savings?

I love it!

Blimey! That much for one challenge? Am I reading this right?

Yeah. Not the whole $633, but at least $250 more than normal. That went for 6 bottles of wine, salmon, scallops, mussels, squid, clams, galangal, lamb, manicotti, cheeses and so forth.

Don't forget that here in the US, we have taxation on some things with representation - alcohol, cigarettes, junk food and anything else that some legislative pork barrel type can point a finger at and claim that it is bad for us.

Last edited:
That went for 6 bottles of wine, salmon, scallops, mussels, squid, clams, galangal, lamb, manicotti, cheeses and so forth.

I'd be hard pushed to spend that much for the above list unless I shopped in Harrods or something! 6 bottles of wine at an average £5 = £30. Salmon is cheap here as are mussels and squid. Clams are harder to find and more expensive. Lamb is cheaper here but still a bit expensive. Not sure how much cheese you bought so hard to compare. But my rough guess is that the above would cost me well under £75 = $104.

I'd be hard pushed to spend that much for the above list unless I shopped in Harrods or something! 6 bottles of wine at an average £5 = £30. Salmon is cheap here as are mussels and squid. Clams are harder to find and more expensive. Lamb is cheaper here but still a bit expensive. Not sure how much cheese you bought so hard to compare. But my rough guess is that the above would cost me well under £75 = $104.

Silicon Valley can be cheap, depending upon which store you go to. I had to go to a store that in my opinion, gouges on pricing for some of this stuff.

Don't you just love it when you start the recipe for tonight's roast, you do your mise en place, start cooking, imagine the luxurious pork-and-cherry-gravy dish you'll be having in a few hours, and you get to step 3, which says, "...let cool, then refrigerate overnight."

:facepalm:

Don't you just love it when you start the recipe for tonight's roast, you do your mise en place, start cooking, imagine the luxurious pork-and-cherry-gravy dish you'll be having in a few hours, and you get to step 3, which says, "...let cool, then refrigerate overnight."

:facepalm:

Don't you just love it when you know you should have read through a recipe before starting, but didn't. :roflmao:

Don't you just love it when other CB members from the US advise not to use Instacart and you go ahead and use them again anyway, only to find an item missing and that a service fee is charged, even on free deliveries, plus a tip is automatically extracted for the driver.

Don't you just love it when somebody can say "I told you so."

Don't you just love it when other CB members from the US advise not to use Instacart and you go ahead and use them again anyway, only to find an item missing and that a service fee is charged, even on free deliveries, plus a tip is automatically extracted for the driver.

Don't you just love it when somebody can say "I told you so."
Luckily, and being totally serious here, I never say "I told you so." I'm just not surprised.

For me, it wasn't that there was a service fee or a tip, I'd have paid that if the service warranted it, but to get a cucumber that was completely rotted end-to-end, and to get in a pizzy text argument about getting the wrong beer, and to be charged a premium on top of that...it was just too much.

What is Instacart?
Instacart - Wikipedia

It's a home delivery grocery-shopping service. It's very personalized. You use their app to "shop" a store, then submit the order, and a personal shopper does the shopping for you, and then delivers it to your house. You can get things in as little as two hours, and you can text your shopper while they're shopping to offer clarification on items if needed.

Of course, all of that comes at a much higher cost than going out and getting it yourself, or even doing curbside pickup.

Don't you just love it when you do the post-supper washing up, wipe down the sink and the counters, put everything away, then turn around and see a dirty skillet on the cooktop?

Back
Top Bottom