Recipe `Drunk Pork Roast - Revised

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
6:02 PM
mjd asked for my Drunk Pork Roast recipe in a PM.
I posted a Drunk Pork Roast Recipe in 2017. I wanted to make some revisions but could not edit the recipe. I have been making Drunk Pork Roast for Thanksgiving and Christmas for 10+ years. Every year I would make a little change here and there. This recipe is my final, no changes needed recipe. This Christmas will be the 11th time I have used this recipe without alteration.
We draw names for Christmas gifts between the Siblings and adult nieces and nephews. 2018 I drew my Middle Sister. She made it known that if I had her name she wanted Drunk Pork Roast. I cooked two roast and vacuum sealed the roast and gravy in meal sized portions. Last year one of my nieces let it be known that if I had her name she wanted Drunk Pork Roast. I made sure I got her name, cooked and packaged two roast with gravy.
The process is not that difficult. A cooking vessel large enough to accommodate such a large portion of meat may be a problem. I use my #10 cast iron Dutch oven. Bone-in pork roast are typically very large. You could use a boneless roast. NOTE: The cooking vessel must have a tight fitted lid.
INGREDIENTS
1 bone-in Boston Butt Pork Roast (shoulder roast)
2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced then finely chopped
6 to 8+ cloves garlic - smashed and minced
2" fresh ginger thinly sliced - paper thin
1 TBSP micro planed fresh ginger
1 Jalapeno - cored, pith removed and minced
Seasoning mix - 1/2 cup sea salt, 1 TBSP Smoked Paprika, 2 Tsp Cayenne
1 750 ml bottle dry red wine. I use Malbec or Merlot. Cabernet Sauvignon is too tannic.
1/2 oz dried wild mushrooms. My favorite is Porcini. Morels also work well or use a mix.
1 lb fresh Baby Bella or Cremini mushrooms - cleaned and sliced. Do not discard the stems. Trim the stems and chop.
Butter
Flour

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C, gas mark 2)
  2. Rinse the dried mushrooms to remove grit. In a 1 cup measure reconstitute the dried mushrooms in 1 cup wine. Set aside for 20 minutes. Use a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter to drain the dried mushrooms. Squeeze the mushrooms dry. Reserve the liquid. Rinse under running water, squeeze dry, chop, set aside.
  3. Prepare the seasoning mix, slice, dice, mince and micro plane all other ingredients
  4. Dry the roast. Fat side up. Trim off most of the fat cap. The fat cap is very heavy and too much. Dry the roast again. Sprinkle the trimmed fat side of the roast with seasoning mix and rub into the meat. Turn over the roast. Use your chef knife to cut 6 to 8 deep slits. In a slit put in 1/4 Tsp seasoning mix, a pinch of minced jalapeno, 1/4 Tsp garlic, 1 TBSP onion. Repeat. Each ingredient is used twice in each slit. Finish filling the slit with onion. Stuff all of the slits. Pat the surface dry. Sprinkle the sides and top of the roast with seasoning mix and rub into the meat. Extra onion can be added to the pot. Reserve extra Jalapeno and garlic for another use. NOTE: I am cooking for adults and children so I keep the heat to a minimum. Trust me - the meat and the gravy is very flavorful.
  5. Heat a large, dry Dutch oven. When pot is hot put the roast in fat side down. NOTE: Turn on the hood vent, open a window and turn off the smoke detector.
  6. Brown all sides of the roast. Finish with fat side down. Add the mushroom soaking liquid to deglaze. Toss in rehydrated mushrooms, onions and sliced ginger. Pour in the remainder of the bottle of wine. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook two hours. Baste the roast. Cover and continue cooking for another hour or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (62.78 C). A three hour cook time is usually sufficient. A very large roast may take longer. Remove from the oven. Toss in fresh mushrooms. Cover and let sit 15 - 20 minutes.
  7. Remove the roast from the Dutch oven. Add micro planed ginger. Bring the liquid to a boil for a minute or two. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add 4 TBSP butter and sprinkle with 1 or 2 TBSP flour. Simmer until reduced to coat the back of a spoon. While the gravy is simmering slice the roast. Return the meat to the pot. Keep warm until ready to serve.
  8. NOTE: I always cook my roast at least a week in advance and freeze it sliced. I do not make the gravy until holiday morning. Remove the roast from the freezer the day before.

This really is a stellar recipe. Obviously a recipe for a gathering. When I show up for Thanksgiving or Christmas I am not greeted with Happy Thanksgiving or Merry Christmas but with "Did you bring the roast?" :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I have a roast defrosting to cook for Christmas.

Last edited:
mjd asked for my Drunk Pork Roast recipe in a PM.
I posted a Drunk Pork Roast Recipe in 2017. I wanted to make some revisions but could not edit the recipe. I have been making Drunk Pork Roast for Thanksgiving and Christmas for 10+ years. Every year I would make a little change here and there. This recipe is my final, no changes needed recipe. This Christmas will be the 11th time I have used this recipe without alteration.
We draw names for Christmas gifts between the Siblings and adult nieces and nephews. 2018 I drew my Middle Sister. She made it known that if I had her name she wanted Drunk Pork Roast. I cooked two roast and vacuum sealed the roast and gravy in meal sized portions. Last year one of my nieces let it be known that if I had her name she wanted Drunk Pork Roast. I made sure I got her name, cooked and packaged two roast with gravy.
The process is not that difficult. A cooking vessel large enough to accommodate such a large portion of meat may be a problem. I use my #10 cast iron Dutch oven. Bone-in pork roast are typically very large. You could use a boneless roast. NOTE: The cooking vessel must have a tight fitted lid.
INGREDIENTS
1 bone-in Boston Butt Pork Roast (shoulder roast)
2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced then finely chopped
6 to 8+ cloves garlic - smashed and minced
2" fresh ginger thinly sliced - paper thin
2 TBSP micro planed fresh ginger
1 Jalapeno - cored, pith removed and minced
Seasoning mix - 1/2 cup sea salt, 1 TBSP Smoked Paprika, 2 Tsp Cayenne
1 750 ml bottle dry red wine. I use Malbec or Merlot. Cabernet Sauvignon is too tannic.
1/2 oz dried wild mushrooms. My favorite is Porcini. Morels also work well or use a mix.
1 lb fresh Baby Bella or Cremini mushrooms - cleaned and sliced. Do not discard the stems. Trim the stems and chop.
Butter
Flour

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C, gas mark 2)
  2. In a 1 cup microwave safe measure reconstitute the dried mushrooms in 1 cup wine. Heat on high for 1 minute. Set aside.
  3. Prepare the seasoning mix, slice, dice, mince and micro plane all other ingredients
  4. Dry the roast. Fat side up. Trim off most of the fat cap. The fat cap is very heavy and too much. Dry the roast again. Sprinkle the trimmed fat side of the roast with seasoning mix and rub into the meat. Turn over the roast. Use your chef knife to cut 6 to 8 deep slits. In a slit put in 1/4 Tsp seasoning mix, a pinch of minced jalapeno, 1/4 Tsp garlic, 1 TBSP onion. Repeat. Each ingredient is used twice in each slit. Finish filling the slit with onion. Stuff all of the slits. Pat the surface dry. Sprinkle the sides and top of the roast with seasoning mix and rub into the meat. Extra onion and garlic can be added to the pot. Reserve extra Jalapeno for another use. NOTE: I am cooking for adults and children so I keep the heat to a minimum. Trust me - the meat and the gravy is very flavorful.
  5. Use a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter to drain the dried mushrooms reserving the liquid. Squeeze the mushrooms dry and chop.
  6. Heat the Dutch oven dry. When hot put the roast in fat side down. NOTE: Turn on the hood vent, open a window and turn off the smoke detector.
  7. Brown all sides of the roast. Finish with fat side down. Add the mushroom soaking liquid to deglaze. Toss in rehydrated mushrooms, onions, garlic and sliced ginger. Pour in the remainder of the bottle of wine. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook two hours. Baste the roast. Cover and continue cooking for another hour or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (62.78 C). A three hour cook time is usually sufficient. A very large roast may take longer. Remove from the oven. Toss in fresh mushrooms. Cover and let sit 15 - 20 minutes.
  8. Remove the roast from the Dutch oven. Add micro planed ginger. Bring the liquid to a boil for a minute or two. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add 4 TBSP butter and sprinkle with 1 or 2 TBSP flour. Simmer until reduced to coat the back of a spoon. While the gravy is simmering slice the roast. Return the meat to the pan. Keep warm until ready to serve.
  9. NOTE: I always cook my roast at least a week in advance and freeze it sliced. I do not make the gravy until holiday morning. Remove the roast from the freezer the day before.

This really is a stellar recipe. Obviously a recipe for a gathering. When I show up for Thanksgiving or Christmas I am not greeted with Happy Thanksgiving or Merry Christmas but with "Did you bring the roast?" :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I have a roast defrosting to cook for Christmas.

Sounds absolutely Devine!!

Russ

Yes, as long as you have a crowd to help you eat it or plan to freeze left overs.
A hint for freezing. I sliced the meat and separated into 4 portions. Vacuum sealed the meat. I froze the gravy in muffin tins then divided into portions equal to the number of packages of meat. 4 packages of meat - divide the tins of gravy by 4. Vacuum pack. My last roast was divided into 4 packages. I froze the gravy in a 12 slot muffin tin. Vacuum packed the gravy in four equal packages.
If you try this recipe you will be hooked.

I have a pork shoulder in the freezer. I might just make this New Year's Day...maybe. We usually have pork and sauerkraut and if MrsT takes the lid off and doesn't see that, that may be the end of me. :laugh:

Reactions: mjd
Yes, as long as you have a crowd to help you eat it or plan to freeze left overs.
A hint for freezing. I sliced the meat and separated into 4 portions. Vacuum sealed the meat. I froze the gravy in muffin tins then divided into portions equal to the number of packages of meat. 4 packages of meat - divide the tins of gravy by 4. Vacuum pack. My last roast was divided into 4 packages. I froze the gravy in a 12 slot muffin tin. Vacuum packed the gravy in four equal packages.
If you try this recipe you will be hooked.

Quickie - Why do you freeze the gravy separately? Would it hurt the taste to freeze them together?

Back
Top Bottom