Recipe Duck curry (slow cooker/crock pot)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:59 AM
My first attempt at curried duck (own recipe). This serves two or three people, depending on the size of the duck breasts. The duck breasts I had were very large.

Ingredients:
2 large duck breasts
1 large onion (chopped)
1 tbsp of finely minced garlic
1 tbsp of finely minced ginger
1 tbsp each of ground cumin, ground coriander and garam masala
2 tsp of ground turmeric
1 tsp of five spice powder
2 tsp hot chilli powder (more if you wish!)
A little cooking oil of your choice
One tin of crushed tomatoes

Method:

• Put the duck breasts in a non-stick pan over a low to medium heat (no oil) and wait until the duck fat flows into the pan and the skin is slightly browned. Turn the duck breasts over and sear for a few minutes. Set duck breasts aside.
  • Put the chopped onions into the pan containing the duck fat. Add cooking oil if necessary and cook slowly until the onions are caramelised. Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook a further minute or two. Then add the dried spices and the tin of tomatoes. Heat through.
  • Chop the (semi-cooked) duck breasts into chunks and remove any rubbery looking skin.
  • Place everything into a slow cooker/stockpot set on high and cook for a minimum of six hours.
N.B. You could leave out the five spice powder. Its not authentically Indian but it seems to work well with the duck.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first attempt. I love duck. It's one of my favorite dishes. I also enjoy curry a whole lot. I have never tried the two together, so it would be a really interesting turn out. I'm definitely going to have to try this!

I haven't had duck in years but I remember really enjoying it. My mom use to make this Orange duck with was to die for. This sounds like it could be a little bit hot so I know I would like that. I love anything that is spicy. Duck is very expensive though and it never seems to go on sale around here.

I've eaten duck only a few times in my life and the one I remember best is blackened duck. Your original recipe sound good Morning Glory. I just would not use much if any of the crushed tomato.

I've eaten duck only a few times in my life and the one I remember best is blackened duck. Your original recipe sound good Morning Glory. I just would not use much if any of the crushed tomato.
The sauce doesn't taste of tomato and the caramelised onions and spices turn the sauce a brown colour. You need something to make the curry sauce. You could substitute chicken stock, but the sauce wouldn't be as thick.

This is really quite a basic curry recipe. You could substitute lamb, pork or beef instead of duck, in which case you would need to add more oil for cooking the onions. To be honest, I wasn't 100% happy with the result. The duck breast was super tender but to me it didn't have nearly as much flavour as other meats.

There are worse fates. Anyone for pressed duck? Note the cheeky little duck feet.

duck press.jpg

This reminds me of the duck dish that my mother used to cook in the olden days. It is a slow cooker because duck meat is tough such that it takes at least 2 hours of boiling (or simmering maybe) in pineapple juice. Now I remember, that dish is called hamonado duck to mean duck meat cooked in ham style. The toppings are pineapple slices and carrots while the sauce is kind of sweet as the effect of 7-up and pineapple juice. Maybe I can suggest a curry flavor if only my mother could still cook... but she cannot anymore.

I think I suffer from the same thing as you do Cupcakechef. I think I see the duck in my head but still I have these vague memories of the one time eating and actually enjoying it. I also think I ate it as a child in ignorance. Maybe someone saying it was duck after the fact. As for the mental hold back, I feel the same way about rabbit.

I used to feel the same way about rabbit, especially as I had a bunny as a pet when I was a kid. But, I was persuaded to try it a few years ago and now i would happily order it anytime. I'm not sure why people find duck off-putting. I mean they aren't really pets, are they? Surely it isn't much different from eating a poor baby chicken. In the UK most free range chickens are slaughtered at 8 to 9 weeks old. Organic chickens at around 12 weeks. Indoor reared at around 5 to 6 weeks. The normal lifespan of a chicken is anywhere between 5 to 12 years, depending on breed. I think it is about the same in the USA. Not many people know this! I certainly didn't until Jamie Oliver and co. had a campaign a few years back promoting free range chicken. The campaign didn't suggest letting them live longer, however!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an animal right campaigner by any stretch of the imagination and I cook and eat chicken quite a lot.

I used to feel the same way about rabbit, especially as I had a bunny as a pet when I was a kid. But, I was persuaded to try it a few years ago and now i would happily order it anytime. I'm not sure why people find duck off-putting. I mean they aren't really pets, are they? Surely it isn't much different from eating a poor baby chicken. In the UK most free range chickens are slaughtered at 8 to 9 weeks old. Organic chickens at around 12 weeks. Indoor reared at around 5 to 6 weeks. The normal lifespan of a chicken is anywhere between 5 to 12 years, depending on breed. I think it is about the same in the USA. Not many people know this! I certainly didn't until Jamie Oliver and co. had a campaign a few years back promoting free range chicken. The campaign didn't suggest letting them live longer, however!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an animal right campaigner by any stretch of the imagination and I cook and eat chicken quite a lot.

That's why I think it's so weird that I don't like it - because I eat chicken, I eat turkey, but for some reason I just can't do duck. I think maybe it's because ducks are kind of small, comparatively to other animals? That's the only logical conclusion I can make, so far!

Back
Top Bottom