Dutch Oven Recommendations?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
12:33 AM
At some point in the not so distant future, I'm hoping to acquire a dutch oven. I'm not familiar with them, so I'd appreciate any recommendations y'all could give me on materials, brands, and best size. I will only have one, so I'd like to buy a size that would accommodate a variety of dishes.

I understand that what you guys call a Dutch Oven, we in UK call a casserole dish. Here (and in the US) a famous brand is Le Creuset. Its also famously expensive! Personally I don't like them. They are very heavy and my poor arthritic wrists object!. Plus, I prefer a good quality non-stick pot. Anyway, this website reviews Dutch Ovens and includes Le Creuset.
Interestingly, the one it recommends is the cheapest at 75 dollars- but when I click on the link it comes up on Amazon for sale in the UK at four times that price in Pounds sterling. It does seem to be a very thorough review. As for size, it recommends:
A 5.5- to 6.5-quart oven should serve a family of two to four nicely, but if you’re feeding more you might want to bump up to a 7-, 9-, or even 13-quart version. In case you already have an oval oven, a round model will give you more flexibility for cooking larger roasts or whole birds.

Any catering supply shops nearby?

What's sold to you, will often be sold as a must have/fashion item, whereas trade would consider it normal use.

I would just google Dutch Oven recipes to find those that appeal to you. I know I come across these recipes from time to time and since I don't have a Dutch Oven I substitute some other heavy duty baking dish. I think they would be good for chickens, and various stews and so forth. They are designed to really keep the heat in, and at a steady temperature.

I understand that what you guys call a Dutch Oven, we in UK call a casserole dish. Here (and in the US) a famous brand is Le Creuset. Its also famously expensive! Personally I don't like them. They are very heavy and my poor arthritic wrists object!. Plus, I prefer a good quality non-stick pot. Anyway, this website reviews Dutch Ovens and includes Le Creuset.
Interestingly, the one it recommends is the cheapest at 75 dollars- but when I click on the link it comes up on Amazon for sale in the UK at four times that price in Pounds sterling. It does seem to be a very thorough review. As for size, it recommends:

Thanks, I have the same problem with my hands/wrists, so can't deal with anything too heavy. I love the colors of the Le Creuset products, but the prices are way too high for me. I do have a fairly decent sized pottery covered dish like this, but I'm not sure whether it can withstand the high temperatures I'd need to bake bread. I've only baked bread a few times, and when I did, it wasn't in a covered dish, but that's what the recipe calls for. My understanding was that casserole dishes were usually pottery, versus dutch ovens, which were usually or always metal, but I could be confused there. I thought the metal pans were used because they can withstand higher temperatures.

Thanks, I have the same problem with my hands/wrists, so can't deal with anything too heavy. I love the colors of the Le Creuset products, but the prices are way too high for me. I do have a fairly decent sized pottery covered dish like this, but I'm not sure whether it can withstand the high temperatures I'd need to bake bread. I've only baked bread a few times, and when I did, it wasn't in a covered dish, but that's what the recipe calls for. My understanding was that casserole dishes were usually pottery, versus dutch ovens, which were usually or always metal, but I could be confused there. I thought the metal pans were used because they can withstand higher temperatures.

That's interesting. I've never heard of cooking bread in a Dutch Oven. I suppose it would be like an oven within the oven! Can you post a recipe? You are quite right regarding Dutch Ovens being originally made of metal - they were originally cast iron and you can still get that type. But they are heavy and a pain to look after! In America, you call them Dutch ovens and we call them casserole dishes in the UK.

Essentially, we are referring here to a pot which can be placed on top of the stove as well as in the oven and which has a tightly fitted lid. If you only require a pot to go in the oven then perhaps an ordinary ceramic pot will suffice. The Le Creuset type are made from cast iron too (hence the weight) but are coated with enamel.
The reason people like Dutch Ovens is because of their versatility. You can start of a casserole dish on the hob (softening onions etc.) and then put it in the oven to cook. But, there are other types of pots in which you can do this, for example, stainless steel.

Back
Top Bottom