Easter Eggs, but better

Timenspace, may I politely ask that when quoting posts to reply, you include enough in the quote to make sense, rather than just one word. I keep having to click back to understand what you are responding to!
Certainly, my apologies. I did quote more wholesome but I thought that was tiring for other members...will do so.

Meanwhile, in the lab...

From left: pickled onion juice (with turmeric), dill pickle juice, pickled beet juice, and coffee:

92BDE273-42CF-4798-AF2D-B9C3628883D9.jpeg

My dill pickle juice isn't quite as green as the commercial brand, so the color will end up more pale than expected. Results by Easter!

Meanwhile, in the lab...

From left: pickled onion juice (with turmeric), dill pickle juice, pickled beet juice, and coffee:

View attachment 60126

My dill pickle juice isn't quite as green as the commercial brand, so the color will end up more pale than expected. Results by Easter!

Put a drop or two of green food coloring in the pickle juice. That should get you a nice color on the egg.

CD

I decided to end the experiment early. For the egg soaking in pickle juice, I noticed that it wasn’t changing the color at all. So, I decided to pour in some commercial pickle juice. If I didn’t know which was which, I wouldn’t know that it was the second one from the left. The one on the left is the egg soaked in pickled onion juice with turmeric.

And, no surprise, beet juice and coffee soaked through much more than the other two did. I have plenty of white shirts that will attest to that.

My egg pickle experiment:
Alongside eggs, decided to put fresh red onion, fresh cloves of garlic (I love those pickled), green bell pepper slice, yellow tomatoes.

Red vinegar with red onion (that got off during peel, but shell-less), seasoned with black pepper, salt, red chilli flakes. The red chilli flakes have other spices grinded so, those tiny parts are floating around...Brought to boil and poured over the eggs and veges.

I think it will give a very light colouring effect. I'd be happy if it all tastes good and does not go bad. Will keep it in the fridge for several days, once it cools down.

Just saw caseydog mentioning food colour - hm, wonder if should put some red colour...

I made some for Easter -- and we forgot to put them out on the table. :facepalm:

I used two 15oz cans of beets, and the juice, plus one cup sugar, one cup of apple cider vinegar and one cup of water. I brought the liquid up to a boil to dissolve the sugar, and poured it over the beets and eggs.

This is not a great photo (cell phone and refrigerator light), but it's all I have, since I left the jar of beats and eggs at my parent's house.

IMG_1414.JPG

I made a dozen eggs, and ate a couple. They tasted just as I remembered them from back in the 60s and 70s.

CD

Back
Top Bottom