Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
4:15 AM
Do you eat at a kitchen/dining table or on your lap in front of the tv, at your dest while on your computer...? I've been told I'm very old fashioned for eating at a table and expecting my nieces and nephews to eat at the table when they visit. Occasionally we have food in front of a film but not often.
I try to have a break at lunchtime and not work but two days a week I have to eat at my desk as I'm in an office with no break room.

I was raised sitting at the table, my grandfather had a thing about no elbows on the table. Don't know why? But I got told off often. Always four of us every night and grandparents on the Sunday lunch. The table folded out. I still have 95 % of meals at the table. Our kids come every Sunday night with their kids. The kids have a table in the lounge for them and us 6 sit at the table in the kitchen. I'm at my sons for a week babysitting, we all sit at the table. I guess it's been instilled in us. My wife's family used to as well. Another thing I just remembered, we had to Wah our hands before sitting down, and had to ask to be excused when leaving the table. We don't do those few things now.

Russ

We were raised to eat at the table. No food, not even a cookie or an apple, was allowed past the kitchen or dining room.

My wife's family, they had regular meals at the table, but if it was a lunch during the weekend, with sports on the TV, it was beer and sandwiches and snack foods on tray tables in the living room.

Us nowadays, we eat almost exclusively on tray tables in front of the TV. We love watching TV, so we fit in as much as we can.

We were raised to eat at the table. No food, not even a cookie or an apple, was allowed past the kitchen or dining room.

My wife's family, they had regular meals at the table, but if it was a lunch during the weekend, with sports on the TV, it was beer and sandwiches and snack foods on tray tables in the living room.

Us nowadays, we eat almost exclusively on tray tables in front of the TV. We love watching TV, so we fit in as much as we can.

Our TVs in the lounge, about 4,metres from our kitchen table. We can watch and hear the to easily and still carry on a conversation. The remote is on the table as well.

Russ

When I worked, I sometimes ate lunch at my desk. By the time you drive to & from, park, it's time to get back to work. Now, unless I have company, I eat at the coffee table in front of the TV.

Grew up eating at the table, pray for blessing before meal, no elbows on the table, napkins on your lap, asked to be excused when finished and once excused take plate and utensils to the sink.

Today - dinner at the table same practices except prayers. Lunch is a free for all - wherever you end up with your plated meal... table, tv room, kitchen bar/island

We always eat dinner at the table - if I've gone to the effort of cooking something then it deserves the 20-30 minutes of attention it takes to eat it. We don't have a TV in the kitchen but we do often listen to music whilst eating.

Lunch is eaten either at the table or sat at the kitchen island at the weekend, or at my desk on a workaday.

Our TVs in the lounge, about 4,metres from our kitchen table. We can watch and hear the to easily and still carry on a conversation. The remote is on the table as well.

Ditto! Except I call it the dining room. Its also the table I use for my computer (lap top). I hate eating off a tray or on a sofa - its so difficult to cut things up properly, I also like somewhere for the bottle of wine and a wine glass next to the plate. Wine glasses don't work on trays.

We were raised to eat at the table, elbows off, and not to leave til there wasn't anything on the plate or you'd just sit there til you finished. Today, there is a TV in the lounge, and dinner is on the lap.

At work, it's impossible to eat at your desk, because even though you're plainly eating lunch, some goober will still come up and say, "Oh, I know you're eating lunch, but could you blah blah blah?"

I like to eat at a table. The dining table or outdoors on the porch or deck. Indoors I may have my laptop on the table with me - I live alone.

I don't really watch TV - the only times we ever watched TV while eating when growing up was when there was sudden breaking news of major proportions and we were glued to the news to find out what was happening next. I believe I remember the Soviet Union invading Czechoslovakia in that regard.

If I have company, or if I am visiting someone, I do NOT turn on any electronic device whilst eating with them. If we rented a movie we'd eat first, then watch (maybe there'd be a snack; there's usually be a beverage).

Back
Top Bottom