Eating rare or raw meat (or fish)

We have some friends who own a restaurant where they serve Chinese, Japanese (including sushi), Thai, etc. They are ironically from Cambodia but serve dishes from just about every other Asian country than their own. Anyway, their sushi is always proportionate. I love seaweed. They make a great baby octopus salad with seaweed in it.

I like beef carpaccio. I have had it at a few of my husband's family weddings as an appetizer. It's pretty good.

I changed the title of the thread to include fish - so you are now on topic!

I'm not over keen on sushi - I find its always too much rice. I maybe have had bad sushi.
That's more like "poorly prepared sushi" than it is bad sushi. Bad sushi is where the fish isn't fresh, ugh.

I feel the same way about funky organs of land animals.

I love sushi. I don't know what's in there and don't want to know. Besides rice which I recognize LOL) I just eat it and enjoy it. I've never had sushi that I didn't like.

Just saw this here, I grew up with a neighbour who lives with a Tongan guy. He did the pig on the spit for my 40th. Hand turned for about 5 hrs over coals. The Tongan way. Anywho he also did raw fish in coconut cream. It was terakihi (terror key) in lemon juice overnight from memory then mixed with onions tomatoes and cream. It was so yummy.

Russ

I'm partial to teriyaki eel (which is cooked), but the salmon, white tuna, and smelt roe are some of my favorites to eat raw.

Just saw this here, I grew up with a neighbour who lives with a Tongan guy. He did the pig on the spit for my 40th. Hand turned for about 5 hrs over coals. The Tongan way. Anywho he also did raw fish in coconut cream. It was terakihi (terror key) in lemon juice overnight from memory then mixed with onions tomatoes and cream. It was so yummy.

Russ
So that's an interesting take on ceviche then, right? I am assuming that the lemon cooks the fish?

No, it sounds exactly like I would think, which is yummy. I love ceviche and I love coconut cream and other coconut products, so I am sure I would like it. Thank you for that.

No, it sounds exactly like I would think, which is yummy. I love ceviche and I love coconut cream and other coconut products, so I am sure I would like it. Thank you for that.

At first thought you would think, raw fish? I did too. But once you try it you like it. I do remember that you have to use terakihi fish though. Quite a solid flesh fish. I normally only like blue cod but terakihi is real,good this way.

Russ

I cook my burgers at home (for me - I take requests for guests) medium rare, still pink inside. However, I DO NOT WANT them served to me like that at Five Guys or elsewhere.

I don't care for the texture of rare ground beef, but medium rare - a bit of pink in there - is wonderful.

My ground beef comes from a Vermont farm that's been vetted out, in many ways. I trust their grass fed, finished meat (and I KNOW that being grass-fed and grass-finished in and of itself isn't safety - but this farm through my meat share folk I trust.

However for raw meats and seafood: I LOVE my sushi restaurants, with the only cooked sushi fish I care for is the eel. (I cannot STAND that fake crab kani stuff.) And while I like smoked salmon a lot, I don't like that smoked flavor in conjunction with Japanese cookery. It feels so out of place!

But getting back into raw meat (beef or bison), I have a recipe I'll post here in a day or two, for Bison Tartare. Which can be as easily adapted to beef. And I may make it with the beef in the near future. Dad brought me up on it on occasion, after all.

Back
Top Bottom