Eating rare or raw meat (or fish)

Steaks, I'm blue please , about a minute each side? Meat patties for burgers I'm easy to please, well done but not to the point of burnt. Even pink in the middle is ok. Hell I even have my fave patties in the freezer, premade and pre cooked. Just reheat. I'm not fussy with my burgers, but steak, it has to be blue.
My wife and kids were all well done steaks, although over the years daughter is rare now and son is blue as well now.

Russ

I cook my burgers at home (for me - I take requests for guests) medium rare, still pink inside. However, I DO NOT WANT them served to me like that at Five Guys or elsewhere.

I don't care for the texture of rare ground beef, but medium rare - a bit of pink in there - is wonderful.

My ground beef comes from a Vermont farm that's been vetted out, in many ways. I trust their grass fed, finished meat (and I KNOW that being grass-fed and grass-finished in and of itself isn't safety - but this farm through my meat share folk I trust.

However for raw meats and seafood: I LOVE my sushi restaurants, with the only cooked sushi fish I care for is the eel. (I cannot STAND that fake crab kani stuff.) And while I like smoked salmon a lot, I don't like that smoked flavor in conjunction with Japanese cookery. It feels so out of place!

But getting back into raw meat (beef or bison), I have a recipe I'll post here in a day or two, for Bison Tartare. Which can be as easily adapted to beef. And I may make it with the beef in the near future. Dad brought me up on it on occasion, after all.

You would love the smoked eel I get from my friend. He catches them at lake ellesmere and smokes them with Manuka wood, it's heaven.

Russ

Steaks, I'm blue please , about a minute each side? Meat patties for burgers I'm easy to please, well done but not to the point of burnt. Even pink in the middle is ok. Hell I even have my fave patties in the freezer, premade and pre cooked. Just reheat. I'm not fussy with my burgers, but steak, it has to be blue.
My wife and kids were all well done steaks, although over the years daughter is rare now and son is blue as well now.

Russ

A friend I've since lost track of, used to call how he liked his steaks cooked: Chase it through the fire, break the horns off, and serve it.

I used to like my steaks blue, but now I prefer them medium-rare. (But I'd rather blue than overcooked).

I cook my burgers at home (for me - I take requests for guests) medium rare, still pink inside. However, I DO NOT WANT them served to me like that at Five Guys or elsewhere.

I don't care for the texture of rare ground beef, but medium rare - a bit of pink in there - is wonderful.

My ground beef comes from a Vermont farm that's been vetted out, in many ways. I trust their grass fed, finished meat (and I KNOW that being grass-fed and grass-finished in and of itself isn't safety - but this farm through my meat share folk I trust.

However for raw meats and seafood: I LOVE my sushi restaurants, with the only cooked sushi fish I care for is the eel. (I cannot STAND that fake crab kani stuff.) And while I like smoked salmon a lot, I don't like that smoked flavor in conjunction with Japanese cookery. It feels so out of place!

But getting back into raw meat (beef or bison), I have a recipe I'll post here in a day or two, for Bison Tartare. Which can be as easily adapted to beef. And I may make it with the beef in the near future. Dad brought me up on it on occasion, after all.

Fake crab, or Krab as it is often called, is nasty.

CD

Last edited:

Russ

I have a texture issue with blue, or even rare steaks. Mushy isn't the right word, but the mouth feel just doesn't appeal to me. Medium rare is just right, for me.

CD

You would love the smoked eel I get from my friend. He catches them at lake ellesmere and smokes them with Manuka wood, it's heaven.

Russ

I've had mixed experiences with eel.

I love squid, but cooked (so far), but octopus didn't work for me -- and I had it at Chef Cat Cora's restaurant, so it was cooked properly.

CD

Ceviche is another thing that is good, if done properly by an experienced chef with really fresh ingredients. Otherwise, it is horrible. I like it, but will only order it in a restaurant where I have confidence in the chef and kitchen staff.

CD

Russ
I eat mine like this feather steak for a baguette

I have a texture issue with blue, or even rare steaks. Mushy isn't the right word, but the mouth feel just doesn't appeal to me. Medium rare is just right, for me.

CD
Yeah I never had steak until I was around 20 ? Then a fancy restaurant I used to go to would serve steak medium. I loved it, then over the years I've graduated to blue, taste or age thing ? I dunno.
We're having steak tonight actually, I start my wife's 6 or 7 mins before mine.

Russ

I've had mixed experiences with eel.

I love squid, but cooked (so far), but octopus didn't work for me -- and I had it at Chef Cat Cora's restaurant, so it was cooked properly.

CD

My friend is an experienced bushman, old school. I think youde like it. Manuka is best and most popular wood as well. A native .

Russ

My friend is an experienced bushman, old school. I think youde like it. Manuka is best and most popular wood as well. A native .

Russ
Russ mate, two of our closest friends here are Kiwi's. She is an N/Z ex cop and he is a sailing instructor.

Whilst I have eaten raw beef (by mistake #36 ) generally I prefer steak medium rare (still pink in the middle but seared on the outside) but beef burgers medium well. Pork medium well (no pink) and chicken/duck cooked through but still moist.

I cannot face raw fish or seafood but I do not cook it for long (a few minutes).

Whilst I have eaten raw beef (by mistake #36 ) generally I prefer steak medium rare (still pink in the middle but seared on the outside) but beef burgers medium well. Pork medium well (no pink) and chicken/duck cooked through but still moist.

I cannot face raw fish or seafood but I do not cook it for long (a few minutes).

I cook my seafood at home, but like you say, I cook it quickly. Seafood generally cooks very fast, at least the ways I cook it. Overcooked fish is what I grew up eating. My mom overcooked everything. It's mush.

CD

Back
Top Bottom