Recipe Eggplant stuff shells

Local time
5:00 PM
Perhaps I won't be able to find any of the cheeses this recipe calls for but I am happy to substitute with whatever I have.

cheesy-eggplant-stuffed-shells.jpg

INGREDIENTS
Eggplant Shells
  • 2-3 eggplants cut ¼" thick lengthwise to make 12 slices
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 12 oz jar no sugar added thick tomato sauce
  • ½ C shredded part skim low-moisture mozzarella
Cheese Filling
  • 1 15 oz container part skim ricotta
  • ½ C shredded part skim low-moisture mozzarella
  • ½ cup shredded fresh parmesan
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
  2. Cut the eggplant into 12 lengthwise slices, about ¼" thick.
  3. Lightly brush the eggplant slices evenly on both sides with olive oil. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the eggplant for 1 to 2 minutes on each sides until it begins to soften, and then set aside to cool.
  4. While the eggplant slices are cooling, stir together all of the ingredients for the cheese filling in a medium mixing bowl.
  5. Pour 1 12 oz jar of tomato sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. I selected the thickest sauce I could find as eggplant tends to release some water, and I didn't want to end up with a water sauce after baking.
  6. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling in the middle of each cooled eggplant slice and roll the ends together to form a "noodle" like a manicotti shell.
  7. Arrange the stuffed eggplant in your casserole dish on top of the marinara. Finally sprinkle with ½ C of mozzarella.
  8. Bake at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the dish is bubbling and heated all the way through. Allow it to sit 3-5 minutes before serving.
It turns out the cheeses are all available but I would still use my faithful vegetarian cheese and MAYBE some mozzarella.

http://simpleseasonal.com/recipes/entrees/eggplant-stuffed-shells

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like something that I would really like. I like the use of all the variety of cheeses. I am one of those people who can't get enough cheese. I know all these cheeses are available at the local deli here so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I have never cooked a whole lot of egg plant so it is nice to see all these great recipes coming up.

Is it similar to Ratatouille? I see some familiar ingredients that are used in that dish and maybe the method of cooking too.

Is it similar to Ratatouille? I see some familiar ingredients that are used in that dish and maybe the method of cooking too.

I had to Google Ratatouille but from what I saw that has zucchinni and all that good stuff in it. I guess they could be related but definitely not the same with the filling and rolling. I think the shell recipe here looks pretty in the picture but I think if I ever tried it mine would be a more rustic (rough) finish.

Last edited:
I am thinking it looks like a veggie lasagna except using eggplant, but it is probably mor like mannicotti without the pasta shells. I am sure it is healthier, No one needs all those calories from cheap starches. and the eggplant would add a lot of fiber.

Back
Top Bottom