Eggs Benedict question

Another one for blender hollandaise - it’s about as close to idiot-proof as it gets.

There’s also a video out there somewhere of the ATK folks making a hollandaise that I remember being very simple, and I think their version was made to hold for quite a long time.

I mentioned earlier that I’d made eggs Benedict twice, and one was a mess and the other nearly perfect. The one that was perfect…I’d found a website with a minute-by-minute timeline, and that was critical for me.

I have, in true Tasty fashion, lost that website. :laugh:

Good luck, and it’s not that hard, really.

I only do Hollandaise in a stainless bowl sized to be a 'double boiler' over already boiling water.

whisk, whisk.
do not walk away.

do not walk away! sorta' tedious, takes time, works great, tastes great.
just
do not walk away - tend the sauce from start to finish.

..(that's called Eggs Atlantic, BTW).

CD
Not over here it’s
Another one for blender hollandaise - it’s about as close to idiot-proof as it gets.

There’s also a video out there somewhere of the ATK folks making a hollandaise that I remember being very simple, and I think their version was made to hold for quite a long time.

I mentioned earlier that I’d made eggs Benedict twice, and one was a mess and the other nearly perfect. The one that was perfect…I’d found a website with a minute-by-minute timeline, and that was critical for me.

I have, in true Tasty fashion, lost that website. :laugh:

No it isn't, there's generally four components and only two of those are particularly time sensitive.
I can normally "hold" my hollandaise for 5 minutes so long as I'm careful with the heat applied.
I tend to think of it as one of the easy little bit of effort breakfasts, you just need to figure out your timeline before you start.

71LBbVxrZML._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ok, here’s the ATK video, and you have to watch only the first 3:30 for the hollandaise.

Spoilers - it’s done over a double-boiler, but uses softened butter and hot water with the eggs, takes about 10 minutes, but the key things are that it is absolutely split-proof and can be held for several hours (according to Julia).

View: https://youtu.be/-WmoBVQafJE?si=QqCwuGo-LIe1-4US

I have a microwave method to add to the mix!

Recipe - Microwave Hollandaise Sauce

Over the years I've always made it in the more traditional way - in a bowl over simmering water. I add the butter in little pieces, whisking as I go. I rather like the 'mindfulness' of that approach and I've never has it curdle on me.

I must say that the hand blender method as mentioned by others above, sounds pretty good though. I will give it a go.

I don't understand your reply, I'm saying it's not complicated and only two of the ingredients are tricky on the timing front.
Yeah, the “No it isn’t” of yours is (as I read it) a reply to my final statement in the comment of mine you quoted - it doesn’t show up unless the entire quote is expanded, but my final thought is, “Good luck, it really isn’t hard,” something like that, and you responded with, “No it isn’t,” as in, “No, it isn’t hard,” - agreeing with my statement.

Just some quote confusion, I think. It happens.

I think we have a misunderstanding here.

TR ended his post with

And I'm pretty sure SSOP was replying to that.
No it isn't, there's generally four components and only two of those are particularly time sensitive.
I can normally "hold" my hollandaise for 5 minutes so long as I'm careful with the heat applied.
I tend to think of it as one of the easy little bit of effort breakfasts, you just need to figure out your timeline before you start.

Have to admit, i had to think about it for a minute because the "No, it isn't" could be taken either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the “No it isn’t” of yours is (as I read it) a reply to my final statement in the comment of mine you quoted - it doesn’t show up unless the entire quote is expanded, but my final thought is, “Good luck, it really isn’t hard,” something like that, and you responded with, “No it isn’t,” as in, “No, it isn’t hard,” - agreeing with my statement.

Just some quote confusion, I think. It happens.
Yer that’s what I was aiming at.

I have a method that makes hollandaise sauce in 5 minutes with exactly the same flavor and texture as that made in the traditional manner. There are blender methods that don't cook the eggs but that doesn't work for me. Here is what I do. start with a cold saucier. Put the butter cut into pats, egg yolks and lemon juice in the cold saucier. and set the burner to medium heat. Using a whisk, stir the sauce constantly until it begins to thicken. It takes 5 minutes at most. Then remove it from the heat and whisk it for another 30 seconds and move it to a small bowl. That's it. Ready to serve. If you start with hot saucier the sauce will break. If you fail to stir constantly, it will break. If you don't move it from hot saucier it may break.

The traditional method with the double boiler is designed to prevent the sauce from breaking. If you start with a cold saucier, then apply heat and stir constantly it won't break and the result will be identical. You can add some tarragon and vinegar to end up with a bearnaise sauce. We have hollandaise sauce on asparagus at least once per week. I make eggs benedict less often because I can't find Canadian bacon very often. You can use ham or even a slice of tomato between the muffin and the poached egg. It is a wonderful treat for breakfast.

Try using bearnaise sauce as a bread spread. It will move your soul. I've said before that the person who invented hollandaise sauce deserves sainthood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom