Recipe Eggs Oscar with Crab Meat

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:30 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

First of all: yes, you can have crab meat for breakfast. It's expensive, but you're worth it! Secondly, yes, an Eggs Oscar is basically an Eggs Benedict with crab meat. If I really need to tell you any more to convince you of how awesome it is, then why are you reading this recipe?

Ingredients

2 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons butter, melted
dash of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt + 1 dash, divided
1 teaspoon vinegar
4 eggs
2 English muffins, split (4 halves)

Directions

1. Whisk together egg yolks with lemon juice in a metal bowl. Heat up a small amount of water in a pot until it's boiling. Place the bowl over the pot of water, ensuring that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl.

2. Stream melted butter into the bowl while whisking continuously to avoid scrambling any of the egg. When fully combined, remove from heat immediately. Whisk in cayenne pepper and a dash of salt.

3. Add vinegar and a teaspoon of salt to pot of water and raise to medium heat. Crack eggs into separate small containers, such as ramekins. Swirl the water in a circle to create a vortex, and drop an egg in the middle. The rotation of the water will cause the threads of the egg white to wrap around the egg yolk better and prevent feathering of the egg white in the pot.

4. Turn off heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes. As Alton Brown says, "Don't peek, poke, stir or accost the egg in any way." Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each egg.

5. Steam asparagus, saving the tips. Heat up crab meat in a pan until warm.

6. Toast English muffins. Place one half of a muffin on each plate. Add 2 ounces of crab to each one.

7. Carefully remove the poached egg from the water with a slotted spoon, allowing water to drain, and place on top of the crab. Spoon the sauce over the top of the egg, place asparagus tips on top, and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top. Brew a cup of coffee, and enjoy your breakfast.

View attachment 69984

First of all: yes, you can have crab meat for breakfast. It's expensive, but you're worth it! Secondly, yes, an Eggs Oscar is basically an Eggs Benedict with crab meat. If I really need to tell you any more to convince you of how awesome it is, then why are you reading this recipe?

Ingredients

2 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons butter, melted
dash of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt + 1 dash, divided
1 teaspoon vinegar
4 eggs
2 English muffins, split (4 halves)

Directions

1. Whisk together egg yolks with lemon juice in a metal bowl. Heat up a small amount of water in a pot until it's boiling. Place the bowl over the pot of water, ensuring that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl.

View attachment 69986

2. Stream melted butter into the bowl while whisking continuously to avoid scrambling any of the egg. When fully combined, remove from heat immediately. Whisk in cayenne pepper and a dash of salt.

View attachment 69987

3. Add vinegar and a teaspoon of salt to pot of water and raise to medium heat. Crack eggs into separate small containers, such as ramekins. Swirl the water in a circle to create a vortex, and drop an egg in the middle. The rotation of the water will cause the threads of the egg white to wrap around the egg yolk better and prevent feathering of the egg white in the pot.

4. Turn off heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes. As Alton Brown says, "Don't peek, poke, stir or accost the egg in any way." Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each egg.

5. Steam asparagus, saving the tips. Heat up crab meat in a pan until warm.

6. Toast English muffins. Place one half of a muffin on each plate. Add 2 ounces of crab to each one.

View attachment 69985

7. Carefully remove the poached egg from the water with a slotted spoon, allowing water to drain, and place on top of the crab. Spoon the sauce over the top of the egg, place asparagus tips on top, and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top. Brew a cup of coffee, and enjoy your breakfast.

View attachment 69983
Okay, I am leaving my husband for you. I hope your wife doesn't mind sharing...at least your cooking!!! :laugh:

Edited to add that the only thing that would have made that better is pairing it with a mimosa.

Well now, since Eggs Benedict and Eggs Royale are two of my favourite things (not only for breakfast), how come I'd never heard of Eggs Oscar? I adore crab and I know I'd love this! It looks very well executed too and I like the asparagus tips added - I don't know if that's 'traditional'.

Last edited:
Well now, since Eggs Benedict and Eggs Royale are two of my favourite things (not only for breakfast), how come I'd never heard of Eggs Oscar? I adore crab and I know I'd love this! It looks very well executed too and I like the asparagus tips added - I don't know if that's 'traditional'.

Thank you. I had Eggs Benedict with crab many years ago in a restaurant, and they called it Egg's Oscar, so I assumed this is what an Eggs Oscar was. I don't believe they used asparagus. When I started looking for Eggs Oscar before posting this, I saw a variety of different variations, so I decided to add with Crab Meat to the title.

Thank you. I had Eggs Benedict with crab many years ago in a restaurant, and they called it Egg's Oscar, so I assumed this is what an Eggs Oscar was. I don't believe they used asparagus. When I started looking for Eggs Oscar before posting this, I saw a variety of different variations, so I decided to add with Crab Meat to the title.
Asparagus is the perfect vegetable for this.

I want to try this with a crab cake instead of just lump crab. I wonder if there is a name for that.

CD

I want to try this with a crab cake instead of just lump crab. I wonder if there is a name for that.

CD
I've eaten it that way, I've made it that way. I didn't name it but I'm sure it's on restaurant menu or 100. Could be crab cake Benedict lol.

Back
Top Bottom