Ever had to cook dinner in someone else's kitchen?

I've cooked at my brother's. He typically doesn't eat breakfast except maybe once a week (then, he goes all out). So, I cook breakfast for myself when I'm there. This is the only place I've ever used a gas range, took a little to get adjusted to.

Discovered I can't stand Keurig coffee makers, too.

When they were out on vacation for a week, and I flew in to Dad-sit (he was living in a nearby retirement home), I'd cook some of my meals there. (I'd also drive Dad to a couple restaurants serving the sorts of food he loved - that they never served at his community - Indian, Thai, that sort of thing.) I would have cooked for Dad at my brother's house, but his house wasn't that accessible with all the steps.

Otherwise, my experience in cooking at other people's homes has been limited to re-heating pot lucks in ovens or microwaves. Okay, once, I made uttapam pancakes over the cooktop at a brunch potluck (Uttapam pancakes are savory rice and lentil based, with onion, tomato, fenugreek, and curry leaf. They're vegan, although I like to top mine with a little butter or ghee at the table.) I brought everything I needed - the batter had been made, you add the onion, tomato and curry leaf as you cook.

Last edited:
Recently, I have been invited to several friends houses to cook them dinner. I have been "wowing" them with en papillote recipes I learned from CookingBites. However, I notice some differences in my cooking style when I am cooking in a foreign kitchen.

Any funny stories?

Like the time I had to make Taco Soup with all canned goods, onion powder, garlic powder, and no cumin powder. Not a fresh ingredient in the whole recipe. :headshake:

Every time i change kitchens for work, everything is ALWAYS done differently.

Everything is always made a different way and whatever way you know, is the wrong way.

There is a joke we use in kitchens.

How many chefs does it take to change a light-globe?

Six.

One to change it and five to tell you how they did it at their last place.

I've done it many times, but over time, people tend to start getting bossy, trying to come into the kitchen & alter the way that I'm doing things!! I get mad & walk out of the kitchen & say; You do it!! I'm done!!

When they start paying me to cook THEIR way, then I'll do it for them!! :mad::headshake:
My father in law is a complete jerk. He had surgery and my sister in law came to care for him for a few days. He wanted chili. Stood in the kitchen and made her make it his way. I would have left. His is awful as is all his cooking. One time he had about 30 people st his house and made spaghetti and used one store bought jar of sauce. When somebody told him that wasn’t enough sauce he filled the jar with water several times and added that. I had him over once for grilled steaks. Only used a little salt and pepper on them and he said they were too damn spicy. He has never been invited back

My father in law is a complete jerk. He had surgery and my sister in law came to care for him for a few days. He wanted chili. Stood in the kitchen and made her make it his way. I would have left. His is awful as is all his cooking. One time he had about 30 people st his house and made spaghetti and used one store bought jar of sauce. When somebody told him that wasn’t enough sauce he filled the jar with water several times and added that. I had him over once for grilled steaks. Only used a little salt and pepper on them and he said they were too damn spicy. He has never been invited back

Oh gosh! That is so awkward. There are plenty of folk who are set in their ways regarding what they will eat - but the fact he is a dreadful cook too makes it very difficult.

Sounds like he would be excellent candidate for my $3 dollar "kitchen rule". If you don't like what I am cooking, I will gladly give you $3 and point you to the nearest McDonalds! :cool:

There is a joke we use in kitchens.
How many chefs does it take to change a light-globe? - Six.

One to change it and five to tell you how they did it at their last place.

I think you forgot the seventh chef who is filming the whole thing, swearing at all the other chefs and making millions of dollars.

Yup, that is what you do when someone acts up! Don't invite them back!! :mad::headshake:

I know what you are saying about due by date, my wife is a shocker, cream cheese, sour cream, stuff like that, months past use by. And like you found, some pesto years past due date. Every now and then I check everything out and bin about 4 or 5 things.

Russ

Those are called "Science Projects"!:eek:

Last edited:

If only I wasn't worried about someone ruining expensive steaks, I'd have applied the "Grate Steaks" concept and let him season and grill his. My ex-SIL ruined seafood all the time by overcooking. Wouldn't have cared too much if I wasn't the one who bought it!

Go over to relatives for Christmas.

New I was cooking the turkey, they pull out a Webber....

What is this Webber you speak of?

Where the on button?

When I do the turkey, the BGE is called into play and so far peach wood has the title for this smoked bird. Of course the brine also had something to do with it. I have a 22.5 Weber charcoal grill with a rotisserie kit and a basket for the rotisserie. The best roast beef I've ever made was a knuckle on that rotisserie. I also have a "kettlepizza" kit that turns it into a decent wood fired pizza oven.

When I do the turkey, the BGE is called into play and so far peach wood has the title for this smoked bird. Of course the brine also had something to do with it. I have a 22.5 Weber charcoal grill with a rotisserie kit and a basket for the rotisserie. The best roast beef I've ever made was a knuckle on that rotisserie. I also have a "kettlepizza" kit that turns it into a decent wood fired pizza oven.

Yeh the Webber is something else I love it now, don't use it enough.

Spot roasts are great to!

Back
Top Bottom