Excellent shrimp pasta

Pat

Veteran
Local time
3:59 PM
This weekend we stopped in to Uno's a pizza place and had dinner. I ordered a shrimp pasta dish that was so good. The sauce on the noodles was excellent, it was not creamy and you could not tell there was a sauce until you took a bite.

There are a few books out to copy the different recipes from the famous restaurants, this is one that I want to find. I have never tasted noodles that good.

I am in mourning because the local Pizzeria Uno pulled out about 5 years ago...and I miss it dearly. I totally love their Spinoccoli pizza. I don't even know where to find that restaurant now. There might be one in the Richmond area, but I never hear ads for it. I am going to have to google it, and see where the closest one is. Maybe Woodbridge VA, but that is like an hour from here, depending on traffic and I am not sure if they even have them there.

I am in Maryland right between DC and Baltimore and we had one of our local Uno's close also which was a surprise, maybe they are reducing the number of stores they have open. The one we went to was at the Union Station where the Amtrak office is located, so they get lots of people coming and going.

I love a shrimp pasta TGI Fridays serves but I only get that when I travel. I have done my own but not often and I honestly just go with the flow and decide on what to include as I go along. It's been a while so I can't even offer any specifics about my recipe. Whenever you find that recipe do share.

@Pat and @kgord, here is a recipe I googled. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Is this the dish you mean?

shrimpscampi.png

Recipe Ingredients

1 ounce olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 ounces cooked shrimp (tail off)
1/4 cup seasoned plum tomatoes*
1 teaspoon fresh basil
1 ounce white wine
5 ounces scampi butter sauce**
12 ounces cooked pasta

* seasoned plum tomatoes: chopped fresh Roma tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic butter

**scampi butter sauce: seafood stock, butter, lemon, basil, garlic and onion

Method
Heat sauté pan ( medium heat) add olive oil and garlic. Do not brown. Add plum tomatoes, shrimp and basil. Sauté and toss. Add scampi sauce-bring to a simmer. Add well drained pasta. Mix well and enjoy.

Source: Uno Chicago Bar & Grill

This weekend we stopped in to Uno's a pizza place and had dinner. I ordered a shrimp pasta dish that was so good. The sauce on the noodles was excellent, it was not creamy and you could not tell there was a sauce until you took a bite.

There are a few books out to copy the different recipes from the famous restaurants, this is one that I want to find. I have never tasted noodles that good.

The best dish of pasta + shrimp that I've ever had sounds very similar to what you are describing. No marinara or blush sauce to speak of, no creaminess included, but succulent, delicious shrimp nonetheless, and dressed with more of a 'glaze' than a 'sauce'... that's the best way I can describe it all. Incredibly yummy!

@Pat and @kgord, here is a recipe I googled. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Is this the dish you mean?

View attachment 2462

Recipe Ingredients

1 ounce olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 ounces cooked shrimp (tail off)
1/4 cup seasoned plum tomatoes*
1 teaspoon fresh basil
1 ounce white wine
5 ounces scampi butter sauce**
12 ounces cooked pasta

* seasoned plum tomatoes: chopped fresh Roma tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic butter

**scampi butter sauce: seafood stock, butter, lemon, basil, garlic and onion

Method
Heat sauté pan ( medium heat) add olive oil and garlic. Do not brown. Add plum tomatoes, shrimp and basil. Sauté and toss. Add scampi sauce-bring to a simmer. Add well drained pasta. Mix well and enjoy.

Source: Uno Chicago Bar & Grill

Super sleuth-work, morning glory! In my opinion, I think you've either come very close, or nailed it right on the head. Going to try this out tomorrow for my late dinner (bought a bag of shrimp yesterday, thinking, 'I'm due for some shellfish!'). The shrimp & pasta dish of this sort that I fell in love with was made with linguine noodles. I'm thinking that farfalle might work nice with this as well (really, I suppose any pasta would, hence the lack of a 'required' noodle of some sort in the recipe). Oh goodness, just the thought of a big bowl of that magic is making me salivate, lol. Thank you for posting your find!

Super sleuth-work, morning glory! In my opinion, I think you've either come very close, or nailed it right on the head. Going to try this out tomorrow for my late dinner (bought a bag of shrimp yesterday, thinking, 'I'm due for some shellfish!'). The shrimp & pasta dish of this sort that I fell in love with was made with linguine noodles. I'm thinking that farfalle might work nice with this as well (really, I suppose any pasta would, hence the lack of a 'required' noodle of some sort in the recipe). Oh goodness, just the thought of a big bowl of that magic is making me salivate, lol. Thank you for posting your find!
I reckon the key to the taste of this dish is in the 'scampi butter sauce' which is asterisked and described as 'seafood stock, butter, lemon, garlic and omion'. However there are no directions for making it! My guess would be that this is stock made from lobster/crab shells with finely chopped sauteed onions, garlic, lemon zest and butter. You can make your own from shrimp heads and shells if you have bought 'shell on' shrimp.

The scampi butter sauce maybe the secret to the taste of the dish. Thanks for the great detective work, I will be try giving this a try.

The scampi butter sauce maybe the secret to the taste of the dish. Thanks for the great detective work, I will be try giving this a try.
To make your own Scampi butter sauce use the shrimp shells and heads. Sautee in butter for a few minutes until you smell a delicious shrimpy aroma and then add finely chopped onion, minced garlic and cook until the onions are softened. Add lemon juice and splash of white wine and reduce. Pass the sauce through a sieve.

This is making me hungry. Being in Canada...or at least in the maritime provinces, we don't have an Uno, the closest is in Bangor, Maine I believe. I have had the Shrimp Scampi there before and it is delicious. I have tried it at other restaurants but Uno does it best in my opinion. I'm thinking either a quick trip to Bangor or making my own is in the near future for me.

Back
Top Bottom