Family history

It was Pope Pius XII when my first husband was born. My daughter's father was neither Irish nor English nor Catholic :laugh:
John Paul II was the Bishop at the time I was looking/searching, not at the time of the births I was looking for. Which spanned a century.

I won't go into details, they are extensive but my maternal side of the family has a unique family name and we can trace our family history back before 1066AD.

My Grannie did the research and knew the family name plus where the family lived roughly, so going back many years now, on one holiday to the area photocopied the relevent section of the phone book (in the days before people didn't put their number in the phone book) and wrote to each of the addresses matching our family name. She hit lucky and found the rest (majority) of our family and knew them really well right up until her death. They attended both her funeral and that of her husband (my grandfather who died recently). I still have contact with one member of the family.

I was adopted as a baby by a family in USA born in West Samoa islands and raised in the Midwest in Kansas. I dont want to explain how I know who my real family is like blood relatives are but I know for a fact Im a direct descendant of King James VI and I who created Great Britain. Same King James who sponsored the publishing of the bible.

Reading everyone's stories made me think. My father walked out on my mum when I was 3 leaving her with 3 boys to raise. I never thought about him until later in life. Until this day no one knows where he is, last seen by an Aunty in Sydney about 40 years ago. Driving a bus. That figures because I remember him driving a truck. My mums side I grew up knowing my great grand parents. Mums side my great grand dad was a plumber. He had 5 girls, my nana was one of them, they had the first private swimming pool in Chch. I remember as a kid seeing it.
But here's where it gets interesting, about 30 years ago my mum was contacted by someone in Tauranga and she gave them all our family details. About a year later he posted my mum our family tree on my dads side. Three brothers immigrated to nz in the 1800s from Bodmin in Cornwall. My fathers father was an accountant , mum said that's where I get my brains from. Anywho my wife and I did a 2 month trip around the world in 98 and spent a lot of time in the uk. We spent a week in Cornwall, with 2 nights in Bodmin. A strange wee town. We went to local cemeteries and took photos of our family names in the cemetery. Really weird knowing where I came from.

Russ

Anywho my wife and I did a 2 month trip around the world in 98 and spent a lot of time in the uk. We spent a week in Cornwall, with 2 nights in Bodmin. A strange wee town. We went to local cemeteries and took photos of our family names in the cemetery. Really weird knowing where I came from.

Fascinating story. I hope you ate some Cornish Pasties when in Cornwall.

I have no idea where my family sprouted from, tho the last name would suggest England and my dad's and my complexion likely suggests somewhere where the people are quite pale. Its rumored there is some native american in the mix too and dad always said he wouldn't be surprised if there was some african in there too cause everyone was working in the same fields. On mom's side English and some Italian perhaps, she had a tendency to tan instead of get crispy like i do.. Tracing my dad's side is hard as they were poor share croppers and many records were lost do to fires. Mom once said someone wrote a family book about her family's past and something about being related to the ship captain that took Darwin to the Galapagose islands but i have no idea if thats true.

Slavs from Europe, grandparents both sides, on back. Czechoslovak. Universally disdained the Germans. My Mother accompanied her own mother and 2 brothers on a large ship, I forget it's name, coming to America from Bohemia in Feb., 1912 at the age of 5. This was only 2 months before the Titanic sank plying the same route.

My Father, and his 4 siblings were all born in Chicago. His father came to America in 1892 at age 16, and attended the Columbian Exposition. He left Czechoslovakia for reasons personal: he hated the way the Catholic Church imposed it's will forcefully upon folks there.

The town I was born and grew up in, Berwyn, Illinois, was then predominantly Czech occupied, with a smattering of Poles. Actually, Chicago has or had, the largest contingency of Polish of any U.S. city.

Slavs from Europe, grandparents both sides, on back. Czechoslovak. Universally disdained the Germans. My Mother accompanied her own mother and 2 brothers on a large ship, I forget it's name, coming to America from Bohemia in Feb., 1912 at the age of 5. This was only 2 months before the Titanic sank plying the same route.

My Father, and his 4 siblings were all born in Chicago. His father came to America in 1892 at age 16, and attended the Columbian Exposition. He left Czechoslovakia for reasons personal: he hated the way the Catholic Church imposed it's will forcefully upon folks there.

The town I was born and grew up in, Berwyn, Illinois, was then predominantly Czech occupied, with a smattering of Poles. Actually, Chicago has or had, the largest contingency of Polish of any U.S. city.

Do you have any recipes inherited from your Czech background?

Do you have any recipes inherited from your Czech background?
@morning glory
I have a few saved in my Mother's old recipe box:

th?id=OIP.JBCDqQQwi2P-xYa2HNpdqAHaFj&pid=15.jpg

It's made of metal, with a hinged cover. Standard index cards fit in just right, so she copied all the non-memorized recipes on cards, and I managed to get the box after she died. I would guess it dates to the '50s, it's a bit rusty around the hinges. The true Czech foods are mostly handed-down mother to daughter, committed to memory, like dumplings (knedlicky), and some baked goods, as well as meats. Almost as though there were secrets unwilling to be kept in print!

I'll look through it, and get back.

@morning glory

It's made of metal, with a hinged cover. Standard index cards fit in just right, so she copied all the non-memorized recipes on cards, and I managed to get the box after she died. I would guess it dates to the '50s, it's a bit rusty around the hinges. The true Czech foods are mostly handed-down mother to daughter, committed to memory, like dumplings (knedlicky), and some baked goods, as well as meats. Almost as though there were secrets unwilling to be kept in print!

:thumbsup:

@morning glory

That is a gorgeous box. If you do have some heritage recipes you would like to post I'd be delighted. I love to cook and photograph recipes... and I'm particularly interested in vintage recipes.

That butter company has been around since 1921 and still makes butter now...i likely have some in my fridge.

Apparently I have German on my maternal grandfather's side, the lady in question changed her name when she arrived over here so finding information would be very difficult bearing in mind how far back we would have to go :scratchhead:

Back
Top Bottom