Fast Food Impossible and Beyond Burgers.

Wife took me to a restaurant once and there was absolutely no mention of it being meatless. Not on the signage, nor the menu, nothing whatsoever.
I had no clue, the food was great.

We used to have Follow Your Heart and the Meatless Mess Hall Vegetarian restaurants out here in the 60's and 70's. The food was so dry I just couldn't get accustomed to it.
Much better fare available today.

Most the new meat substitutes don't smell like when you lit your sisters Barbie Dolls on fire.

I do plan to try one of those new TVP-based burgers at least once, just to be informed. Meanwhile, I am really happy to be trying to create good, tasty and HEALTHY veggie burgers here at home. For me, I don't see the need to make them taste faux-meat-like. As there are so many great taste sensations out in the vegetarian world to begin with.

I have eaten "garden"burgers and the like in the past - they were rubbery. I was sorry to have sampled.

Is it healthier?
I was a regular at Lawrys the Prime Rib restaurant in Beverly Hills.
Other regulars I often saw were actor Joesph Cotton, QB1 Kenny Stabler, Kevin Corcoran, Peggy Lipton, and several others.
Another thing we all have/had in common is colon cancer.

I have had an Impossible Burger, but it was at a more upscale Burger restaurant. It was quite good, but I don't feel drawn to have another. This place also had "adult milkshakes." Milkshakes with booze. The one I had was amazing.

CD

Not a fan. I've always stuck to local when I can. I'm living rural so is pretty easy to do that. Usually I go directly to the farms for pretty much all of my protein and veg when in season, just picked up local asparagus and it's the only time it hits our plates, as well as garlic scapes. I purchase 1/2 retired dairy cow at a time, get chicken, lamb, venison, elk, pork locally, anyway you get the picture. I guess the point I'm trying to make is this is my attempt to reduce my carbon footprint, so anything processed, especially vegetable products.....scary the distance some of those product travel before they hit my local. My partner picked up the beyond burger last week and the taste and texture is still fresh in my mind.

I believe vegetable based meat-substitute products have a lower production carbon footprint than beef production, too.

CD
That is the common argument, seems logical, but is it true? Hamburger 1 ingredient which for me comes from a farm about 2 kms away from retired dairy cows. If you look at the ingredients list in a substitute they all need to be harvested, factory processed, shipped to the company that makes that product from transport that represent all of those ingredients which is then processed further to make that end product. Of course not everyone can buy meat locally but logic kinda dictates if your thinking of reducing your carbon footprint then it can't be discounted.

That is the common argument, seems logical, but is it true? Hamburger 1 ingredient which for me comes from a farm about 2 kms away from retired dairy cows. If you look at the ingredients list in a substitute they all need to be harvested, factory processed, shipped to the company that makes that product from transport that represent all of those ingredients which is then processed further to make that end product. Of course not everyone can buy meat locally but logic kinda dictates if your thinking of reducing your carbon footprint then it can't be discounted.
You forgot about rquirig constant refrigeration and plastic, single use wrapping/ containers, etc..same as real meat..

You forgot about rquirig constant refrigeration and plastic, single use wrapping/ containers, etc..same as real meat..
I know eh! gotta give them credit though for putting beet juice in some products to mimic blood. They try hard. Even though the popularity of these products show massive increases it still only represents about 1% according an article I saw last week.

I know eh! gotta give them credit though for putting beet juice in some products to mimic blood. They try hard. Even though the popularity of these products show massive increases it still only represents about 1% according an article I saw last week.
I think it will level off...it will be a niche market at best. too expensive for starters..I'm old enough to remember when tofu and soy was going to be the new protien,,now, it takes up a very small section in the refrigeration aisle between the charcuterie and cheeses...

I think it will level off...it will be a niche market at best. too expensive for starters..I'm old enough to remember when tofu and soy was going to be the new protien,,now, it takes up a very small section in the refrigeration aisle between the charcuterie and cheeses...
Not if Bill Gates has anything to say about it. He's been massively investing in food production over the last decade and he's heavily invested in these products.

Not if Bill Gates has anything to say about it. He's been massively investing in food production over the last decade and he's heavily invested in these products.
Then he will have to eradicate poverty if people are going to be able to afford it..or, figure out how to make it affordable..My guess is the high prices are due to the manufacuring and processing costs as you described in one of your earlier posts..not sure how they can streamline those...

Back
Top Bottom