Favorite Movies

Being a movie fan, it could be a long list, but I will try to stop at the essentials that have had some impact for me.

Jules & Jim - F.Truffaut
Night effect - F. Truffaut
A man, a woman - C. Lelouch
Last tango in Paris - B.Bertolucci
Novecento - B.Bertolucci
Medea - Pier Paolo Pasolini
It's a wonderful life - F. Capra
Pocketful of Miracles - F. Capra

Frankenstein Junior - Mel Brooks
Spies like us - J.Landis
Jackie Brown - Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction - Q. Tarantino
Smoke - W. Wang
Blue in the face - W. Wang
The Commitments - Alan Parker
Trainspotting - D. Boyle
The lives of others - german director, I don't remember the name
Paris, Texas - W.Wenders
Wings of Desire - W. Wenders

Some movies I enjoy watching over and over again, or just make me smile. Love the old b/w films.

Some like it hot
Tootsie

The postman always rings twice
Double indemnity
Stella Dallas
Witness for the
prosecution
Wuthering Heights
Now Voyager
Mildred Pierce
Rear Window

So many great movies. Sure I'll remember more.

Brooklyn.
Even though it was panned by the critics Benjamin Button.
20.000 Leagues Under the Sea.

My mom worked for Disney before, during and after WW2.
Mom was in the UK after the war working for Disney and the British govt paid Disney for the instructional and industrial films they made there. Some propaganda as well.

Disney wasn’t allowed to take the money out of England so Disney produced films in the UK and brought them out instead.
They were Kidnapped, Treasure Island and parts of others that are some of Disney’s best work that hold a place in my heart.

BTW: Any expectant moms that work on Disney Films the baby they carried gets their name in the credits too.
Click to time index 2:59:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdaPAG8Lic&list=PLj1Cr5VhOdItB4_0Cnun-3s9GC-F3A3C6

Last edited:
I love "The Wicker Man" and watch it several times a year - the original, not that hilariously horrible remake, although the remake is good to watch every so often, just as a joke.

There can't be any other original-and-sequel pair that's so far apart in terms of quality and tone.

I definitely agree with you about Hitchcock, I love “Psycho”, “The woman who lived twice”, “Marnie”.

Pretty well all Hitchcock films are excellent. My friend who I stay with in Essex has a home cimema - state of the art stuff. He has all Hitchcock films ever made. We spent one winter watching them all, in date order.

I don't know if it'll be a favorite movie, but I just ordered Jean Rollin's 1968 French vampire film "Le Viol du Vampire." It'll get here about a week or so before Halloween, so I'm looking forward to that. 🧛‍♀️

Fascinating - what was her job?
Mom did several things over the span of her career with Disney.
With hand drawn cartoons they recorded the voice soundtracks first before the animation. Timing was critical mom handled that.

Disney also did instructional animation and my mom was a technical writer. How to install and operate the Norton bombsite among others. Mom had to visit WW2 airfields to work with crews to make sure the facts and instructions were spot on.

Then Disney later distributed their own work she wore that hat among others too.
Unions put a stop to wearing many hats for some at the studios.

Walt Disney used to threaten his artists with “someday they’ll have a machine to replace all of you.”
That day has come but it takes 1000 more people to operate those machines.
True fact. Used to take about 1500 to 2000 people to produce a good film. Now with CG (computer generated) scenes and animation it’s 3000 to 3500 people.

Back
Top Bottom