Favorite Movies

Mom did several things over the span of her career with Disney.
With hand drawn cartoons they recorded the voice soundtracks first before the animation. Timing was critical mom handled that.

Disney also did instructional animation and my mom was a technical writer. How to install and operate the Norton bombsite among others. Mom had to visit WW2 airfields to work with crews to make sure the facts and instructions were spot on.

Then Disney later distributed their own work she wore that hat among others too.
Unions put a stop to wearing many hats for some at the studios.

Walt Disney used to threaten his artists with “someday they’ll have a machine to replace all of you.”
That day has come but it takes 1000 more people to operate those machines.
True fact. Used to take about 1500 to 2000 people to produce a good film. Now with CG (computer generated) scenes and animation it’s 3000 to 3500 people.

Love to hear all this - my background is in film production (but teaching it, mainly). I also worked as a film editor (before digital).

Pretty well all Hitchcock films are excellent. My friend who I stay with in Essex has a home cimema - state of the art stuff. He has all Hitchcock films ever made. We spent one winter watching them all, in date order.

Having a home cinema, what a beautiful thing it must be to watch films like this, especially those by Mr. Hitchcock ... yes, I'm a bit envious

I remember a movie I saw several years ago, maybe even 30 years ago, and it impressed me enough.
Every year I hope they relay it but hopes are now empty.
"The Abominable Doctor Phibes" with an extraordinary Vincent Price.
Who saw it or remembered it?

Last edited:
I remember a movie I saw several years ago, maybe even 30 years ago and it impressed me enough.
Every year I hope they relay it but hopes are now empty.
"The Abominable Doctor Phibes" with an extraordinary Vincent Price.
Who saw it or remembered it?
Haha, I watched it a couple of weeks ago! That movie makes frequent appearances here, on any number of networks.

A bit of a movie gripe - as it should be able to tell, I love horror movies, especially 60's-80's ones, and I like a lot of the low-budget ones.

That means I'm always a sucker for cheap "mega pack" DVD collections - the kind they sell for $5US with names like "The Undead Brigade: 15 Vampire Movies!"

The problem is, I buy these, and more often than not, they won't play in any of the computers or DVD players I have, or a disc will have five movies on it and it'll play just the first one, or it'll play one, but no audio, or audio and no video, or it'll get 10 minutes in and just crap out for no particular reason

Haha, I watched it a couple of weeks ago! That movie makes frequent appearances here, on any number of networks.

A bit of a movie gripe - as it should be able to tell, I love horror movies, especially 60's-80's ones, and I like a lot of the low-budget ones.

That means I'm always a sucker for cheap "mega pack" DVD collections - the kind they sell for $5US with names like "The Undead Brigade: 15 Vampire Movies!"

The problem is, I buy these, and more often than not, they won't play in any of the computers or DVD players I have, or a disc will have five movies on it and it'll play just the first one, or it'll play one, but no audio, or audio and no video, or it'll get 10 minutes in and just crap out for no particular reason

Oh! Really? Gosh, it will be almost thirty years that here, however, we do not even see the shadow of that incredible film.. maybe they passed it on at night in some minor television broadcast, but I'll never know.

I find low-cost horror movies a fascinating trash ... but I recognize that they are not too 'filtered' and come straight to the point. I mean, if they have to cut your head off, zac! The next one!

Last edited:
Oh and I just remembered those horror movies, when I was about 15 to 17 we used to go to the midnight movies. Horror movies on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight. Young people out for trouble, throwing lollies around the movie theatre. Movies that were old and tacky. Bouncers on the doors for trouble makers,lol. Those were the days!!! :)

Russ

Oh! Really? Gosh, it will be almost thirty years that here, however, we do not even see the shadow of that incredible film.. maybe they passed it on at night in some minor television broadcast, but I'll never know.

I find low-cost horror movies a fascinating trash ... but I recognize that they are not too 'filtered' and come straight to the point. I mean, if they have to cut your head off, zac! The next one!
You know, Dr. Phibes is available on both YouTube and Dailymotion - you may run into copyright issues being that you're in Italy, but it's worth a try.

Also, if you like that movie, I'd suggest another '70's Vincent Price film that follows a similar path, called "Theater Of Blood," about a washed-up old actor who kills his critics following notorious death scenes from Shakespeare. It's not as campy as Dr. Phibes, and it has the very talented Dame Diana Rigg in it. I believe Price said it was his favorite of his films. It's very good.

BTW, Price was a noted gourmet cook who published a few cookbooks with his wife and even hosted a cooking show in the '70's. One of his cookbooks is on my Christmas list this year.

You know, Dr. Phibes is available on both YouTube and Dailymotion - you may run into copyright issues being that you're in Italy, but it's worth a try.

Also, if you like that movie, I'd suggest another '70's Vincent Price film that follows a similar path, called "Theater Of Blood," about a washed-up old actor who kills his critics following notorious death scenes from Shakespeare. It's not as campy as Dr. Phibes, and it has the very talented Dame Diana Rigg in it. I believe Price said it was his favorite of his films. It's very good.

BTW, Price was a noted gourmet cook who published a few cookbooks with his wife and even hosted a cooking show in the '70's. One of his cookbooks is on my Christmas list this year.

Didn't know that, thanks. Stored in my bank. :)

Russ

My favorite film was & still is Enter the Dragon!! :wink:

I don't know how many times I saw "Jaws" when it first came out. After the first time, I never paid for a ticket. I usually had girls on either side, with one sitting in my lap. I pretty much laughed through the whole thing, so I guess I was a comfort to those that got scared.

I don't know if it'll be a favorite movie, but I just ordered Jean Rollin's 1968 French vampire film "Le Viol du Vampire." It'll get here about a week or so before Halloween, so I'm looking forward to that. 🧛‍♀️
Got my movie the other day and got to watch it today. It's absent of much of a plot, but stylish as can be. I really liked it.

Jean Rollin has a few other vampire movies, I think I'll ask for those for Christmas.

I don't know how many times I saw "Jaws" when it first came out. After the first time, I never paid for a ticket. I usually had girls on either side, with one sitting in my lap. I pretty much laughed through the whole thing, so I guess I was a comfort to those that got scared.

Oh them were the days. Oh, so long ago,lol.

Russ

thank you for your info!
Theater of Blood sounds very interesting, I’ll take a look on Amazon or maybe I could find some trailers on YouTube, I’ll let you know.
I didn’t know he was a noted gourmet! That’s so interesting as well.
Many actors are also gourmet, a bit like in Italy about Ugo Tognazzi or Ave Ninchi. Ok, perhaps they don’t say very much to you, but they were both great actors and great cooks

I didn’t know he was a noted gourmet! That’s so interesting as well.
Not only that, he was an art collector and an art historian. I think he even earned his degree in art history. He's got an art museum somewhere named after him.

Back
Top Bottom