Favorite Movies

a movie about the true case of the only American serviceman legally hung by the neck til dead by the British, in WWII
I had a dream once in which a fellow was accused of murder, and was sentenced to be "hanged by the neck until dead," but then the victim woke up, so the judge changed the sentence to "hanged by the neck until nearly dead."

The absurdity of hanging someone until nearly dead meant that I woke myself up from laughing in my sleep.

With regard to the 1949 movie "Whiskey Galore", I found the movie entertaining, but not necessarily as humorous as I think it was intended to be. It had a nice ending where the only two people who lived happily ever after, were the two newly weds who don't drink whiskey. Everyone else could no longer get their fix because the price of whiskey went up and they were never to be happy again. There's a moral to that somewhere.

The other new movie that deserves critique is "The Current War." This movie is a fairly recent release and although it probably adheres to historical fact, it was a sort of drone on and on movie and did not have a really good entertaining flow. It might have been better done as a documentary and not a historical drama.

The breakfast movie today is "Eastern Promises."

For the mid-day, I picked out "Dances With Wolves." I'm really not too keen on the message sent in this movie which seems to make Native Americans holier than the rest of humanity while painting others as barbaric and awful - and while at the same time, depicting native tribes as warring on each other. There are good people and bad people in all races and history demonstrates an ongoing number of clashes between people where one group lords it over on another. I don't find it possible to stereotype one group as being better or worse than another, historically - or even in these times. I can only hope and believe that people have advanced their thinking and appreciation of other peoples, by understanding history. History cannot be unwound and the finger of blame or ill judgement just begs further spiraling and instigation of the same old problems.

The late night movie will be "Dick Tracy", a sort of semi-animated crime movie which demonstrates how really awful Madonna is capable of singing for a Hollywood pay check.

After getting the movie "Eastern Promises" running, I realized that I had seen it before. I like the movie, it has some interesting last minute exposures and was worth my obtaining the movie for my collection.

It's march 5th and I'm looking forward to become officially, a senior citizen this weekend. Good morning folks.

The breakfast movie today is "Ghost." What can I say about this one, except that its really not so scary.

Mid-day, while I am playing up an achiote chicken recipe featuring snow peas, I will be watching "The Godfather, Part III."

The late night movie will be another mafia type movie, "Goodfellas."

How old is officially in the US. I think I've been one for at least 10 years...
There are probably differing "unofficial" stages to elderdom here:

1. 55 - when you are first eligible to join AARP (American Association Of Retired Persons) - it's sort of a running joke here, because at about 53, you start getting bombarded with applications in the mail.

Many of our retirement communities also have a minimum age requirement of 55.

2. 60 - because you're entering the decade when you'll probably retire. Also, in Ohio, that's when you're eligible for the coveted Golden Buckeye card, which gets you discounts for all sorts of things all over the state.

3. 62 - when you first become eligible for Social Security payments, should you choose to take them.

Fun side note - we have lots of ads for Jitterbug phones and Consumer Cellular phone service. These are marketed toward senior citizens, the gist with the phones being that they're dumbed-down, because obviously, you're too old and stupid to use a regular smartphone, and the angle of the service is because obviously, you're too old and stupid to understand a basic phone plan.

So, the ads are full of older folks, looking at a phone, pressing a button, then beaming at their equally-aged partner, as if to say, "Look! A photo of our granddaughter! On this phone! I made it come up! I'm still with it!" - that sort of thing.

Imagine my chagrin when I saw their latest ad. It shows active older people doing active older people things, like buying antiques and watching hot air balloons, and the voiceover intones, "Now there's a phone for those who weren't born yesterday..."

That's when each person's birth year magically floats onto the screen...1948...1953...and before they're done...1966! That's my <bleeping> birth year!

I'm fifty-effing-four! I'm still working! I work in a technical career! I use an iPhone (and a newer one at that)! I have wifi and streaming TV service and I use GPS! I don't need your damn Playskool phone! 😠

How old is officially in the US. I think I've been one for at least 10 years...

65 is the official US senior citizen age. But for social security benefits, it keeps getting pushed back. It's current 66 for folks born in the year I was. For people born later, it's already been pushed further back.

G' day. I'm a day short of 65 and being a senior. Gee, that means I can get into movie theaters with cheaper tickets and eat smaller portion meals at restaurants. They tried to put me in a wheel chair a while ago, but I steadfastly refused and damn glad of it. That really would have crippled me. I remain determined to enjoy life as best I can and also refused to use one of those debilitating walkers. I don't even use a cane. Mobility is a must.

Hey, I'm stuck with oats and coffee again this morning. I've been thinking of making a breakfast with polenta or blue corn grits. I think I can get a bit creative with that stuff for breakfast, but not today.

The breakfast movie will be the 1990 version of "Hamlet" with Mel Gibson. I think this version of Hamlet is quite excellent.

For the mid-day movie, I dug out "The Hunt for Red October."

And for the late night movie, I picked out "Jacob's Ladder." This is a sort of bizarre ghost movie where some of our troops in the Viet Nam conflict were given a drug which caused them to go blitzo and kill each other, sustaining one of them on a nightmarish dream death until his final demise.

Watching now 'In the name of the father' with Daniel Day- Lewis, is a 1993 film directed by Jim Sheridan.
Based on the autobiographical novel 'Proved Innocent' by Gerry Conlon, one of the Guildford Four, i.e. four guys falsely accused of the London bombings during 70s. This film gives me the shivers every time, so hugely touching and sad.

Last edited:
Watching now 'In the name of the father' with Daniel Day- Lewis, is a 1993 film directed by Jim Sheridan.
The film ased on the autobiographical novel 'Proved Innocent' by Gerry Conlon, one of the Guildford Four, i.e. four guys falsely accused of the London bombings during 70s. This film gives me the shivers every time, so hugely touching and sad.

I googled it and it looks interesting.

Based on the autobiographical novel 'Proved Innocent' by Gerry Conlon, one of the Guildford Four, i.e. four guys falsely accused of the London bombings during 70s. This film gives me the shivers every time, so hugely touching and sad.

As expected, I cried like a fountain. I can't hold back the tears when I watch this movie.

Good morning fellow foodies. Today, I have become a senior citizen, officially, but I will persist with my boring oats and coffee this morning. I've decided to give myself a birthday present of finding a bigger living space. Instead of sharing a house, I think I will go for my own apartment with a kitchen of my own.

The breakfast movie for today is the 1990 version of "The Lord of The Flies" with Balthazar Getty.

For the mid-day movie, I have selected "Memphis Belle", a favorite WWII air war movie.

And for the finale, the late night movie, I dug out "Miller's Crossing."

Back
Top Bottom