Favorite Pickled Products?

Most of the pickled eggs, hot sausages and pigs feet I've seen are in a pinkish colored pickle juice. Don't know if it is just food coloring or derived from beets.

Most of the pickled eggs, hot sausages and pigs feet I've seen are in a pinkish colored pickle juice. Don't know if it is just food coloring or derived from beets.
I looked at some labels for these Southern pickled goods and they seem to contain artificial colour. I bet that traditionally they would have contained beets or even achiote perhaps. Which reminds me - I have achiote pickled eggs on my 'to do' list today!

I mix it with Mr Naga - which is the best chilli pickle ever. If you haven't tried it then you should. A little goes a long way.

I haven't come across that one. Still, it serves as a useful reminder that I must have a wander down Leith Walk the next time I go into Edinburgh. There are a couple of shops down there that have all manner of Indian and Pakistani produce, including an array of pickles, chutneys and all that kind of thing. And one can (will, actually) slip into Valvona and Crolla en route and spend a fortune on various delights in there. It's almost impossible to go into that shop and come away without buying at least three types of cheese and some delicious Italian bread.

20190203_170314.jpg

How do you make this please?

Russ

If its what I think it is then all you need to do is slice red onions and marinate them in vinegar or lemon juice with a little salt and sugar to taste. The onions turn a beautiful pink. They get more intense if you leave them a few hours. Simple.

If its what I think it is then all you need to do is slice red onions and marinate them in vinegar or lemon juice with a little salt and sugar to taste. The onions turn a beautiful pink. They get more intense if you leave them a few hours. Simple.

Koo, I'm going to try this.

Russ

1 cup of white wine vinegar
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
kosher salt
pepper vinegar
pepper corns
red onion thinly sliced

20190203_174243.jpg

Here is a red onion pickle I made ages ago - its perfect with curry! I may have the recipe on the forum somewhere - but in truth if you mix some kind of acid and sugar and toss the onions in it - that is the basic recipe. Salt to taste. You can add seeds such as cumin seeds.

fullsizeoutput_78e.jpeg

A subtler alternative that works very well with poppadoms, samosas, pakoras or naan (but which would be pointless serving "with a curry") is white (or yellow) onion, chopped finely and marinated in lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a crack of the black, and a pinch of thyme. If you can, leave it soak up the marinade for an hour or two - the longer the better.

Back
Top Bottom