Flavoured Mayos

We buy 1 here called smokey mayo. Its really good with my wraps. We love it.

Russ

Mayo is on my do not eat/enjoy list. I have gone to restaurants, ordered a sandwich and said "No mayo." The servers sometimes check back and say "Are you sure you don't want some mayo?"

I'm the same - in fact I have an intolerance to it when made with eggs (causes me to feel mildly nauseous for a while). That is why I don't make it often.

We rarely buy Mayo, only Kewpue which is a separate thing here and only used for specific things.

Myself and both kids use the immersion blender to make 1 minute Mayo.

We might add garlic (probably) and we change up the acid depending on what we are going to use it on primarily. Lemon or lime for seafood, red wine or white wine vinegar for other things.

Adding basil is a favourite or some chipotle if I open some in adobo.

If I’m going to make an Asian slaw I may use kewpie & siracha but often I make a soy, sesame, lime & chilli dressing for that.

We rarely buy Mayo, only Kewpue which is a separate thing here and only used for specific things.

Myself and both kids use the immersion blender to make 1 minute Mayo.

We might add garlic (probably) and we change up the acid depending on what we are going to use it on primarily. Lemon or lime for seafood, red wine or white wine vinegar for other things.

Adding basil is a favourite or some chipotle if I open some in adobo.

If I’m going to make an Asian slaw I may use kewpie & siracha but often I make a soy, sesame, lime & chilli dressing for that.

On another forum, I kept reading how great Kewpie mayo is. I finally bought some at the Asian market, and don't like it, so now I have this big bottle of it taking up space in my fridge. :facepalm:

Maybe if I blend it with something, I will like it.

CD

I used to hate having mayo on burgers. To me, there's already so much going on in a burger (the beef, the bun, and whatever vegetables) that it seemed like the mayo was just adding calories to the burger for no good reason. Same story for other sandwiches. And, to this day, I still ask for mayo on the side, or no mayo, when I get a sandwich or burger.

But, I also find that a flavored mayo or aioli are indispensable to so many things I enjoy. I might have just built the perfect Rueben, but I can't really enjoy it without at least a quick mayo + horseradish blend. I just made "Rueben breakfast burritos", and made a dip using olive oil mayo, horseradish, and chopped capers.

I also have a squeeze bottle on standby at a moment's notice with an olive oil mayo and (homemade) mole blend...the bottle was used previously for a professionally-made mayo.

And, I prefer olive oil mayo over regular mayo, since it's half the calories, but the same consistency and taste. I know that the topic has come up before, so here's a link to a product description plus the nutritional label for a brand of olive oil mayo:

Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise, 12 fl oz Bottle

The ingredients are the same, but note that the sequence of ingredients is different:
  • for regular mayo, oil is first and water is second
  • for olive oil mayo, water is first and oil is second

I used to hate having mayo on burgers.
Burgers are so customizable that there are times I have no mayonnaise on one, or no mustard, or just cheese and onion, etc, but when I do want mayonnaise on it, I want it dripping in it.

I want mayonnaise on the top bun and bottom bun, I want the bun to float on a sea of mayonnaise, I want it to squirt out with every bite, and I want more mayonnaise on the side to dunk it in.

My usual order at BK used to be two regular cheeseburgers, extra mayonnaise and dill pickle slices only, and they always had a heavy hand with the mayonnaise.

• for regular mayo, oil is first and water is second
  • for olive oil mayo, water is first and oil is second
I always thought classic mayonnaise was just olive oil, eggs and lemon/vinegar; no water.
I´ve seen chefs add a tbsp of water (they say it adds more body), but I wouldn´t have thought it was absolutely necessary. A spot of mustard, maybe, but no water.

I always thought classic mayonnaise was just olive oil, eggs and lemon/vinegar; no water.
I´ve seen chefs add a tbsp of water (they say it adds more body), but I wouldn´t have thought it was absolutely necessary. A spot of mustard, maybe, but no water.
I think he’s comparing the two commercial products available at the supermarket.

I think he’s comparing the two commercial products available at the supermarket.

Yes...that's what I'm doing. The order of ingredients on the label indicates what the highest proportion is for the ingredient (so, there's more water than oil in the commercial olive oil mayo). And, of course, this is for corporations that like to make money: water is cheaper than olive oil, and if they can add it and sell more of their product, then that's a win for the corporation. If it still tastes good, then it's a win for the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom