Recipe "Fluffy" fried rice

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:17 AM
This is based on a recipe from Chef Jet Li on Food Network. Fluffy is his description, though I will admit that his technique results in a seemingly lighter fried rice dish. I've added an ingredient that is a favorite of mine, as well as made a small change in technique to make cooking easier on a home cook, and added some variations. He made it as part of an Orange Chicken dish that looks fairly easy to make. I'll get around to making that eventually.

It can be made vegan/vegetarian by omitting the chicken bouillon or using vegetable bouillon, and using a vegan egg substitute.

INGREDIENTS

3 Tbsp vegetable oil, such as canola or grapeseed
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups cooked day-old long-grain or jasmine rice
1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp powdered chicken bouillon
2 to 3 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp white pepper

DIRECTIONS

Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and chicken bouillon in a small bowl. Set aside.

Over medium high heat, add the oil to a large skillet and allow to heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the eggs and rice. With a wide, heat proof spatula, gently stir the eggs and rice in a circular motion, working the eggs into the rice, but not breaking the rice grains. The egg will coat the rice and will start to dry after about 30 seconds. Continue to gently stir and move the outside rice into the center so it mixes and cooks evenly.

Add the soy sauce mixture and continue to fold in a circular motion until the egg and rice absorb the liquid. Scrape bottom of pan as needed. Fold in the green onions and white pepper, cook for about a minute, then serve.

VARIATION

You can add some finely chopped garlic and/or ginger to the oil while it's heating.

I sometimes add grated carrot, chopped onion, mushrooms, pre cooked broccoli or frozen/thawed green peas. If you want to do that, start the oil over medium heat, cook the chopped onion for a couple of minutes, add the mushrooms, turn heat up to medium high, cook for a minute, then add grated carrots, peas if using, stir, then proceed with recipe as above. Fold in broccoli with the green onions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom