Food Abominations

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
7:46 PM
If you like food and you want to enjoy it you need to keep an open mind right?
Sometimes a combination or product appears that just makes your body revolt at the very thought of it.
I’m not talking about food dislikes but things you do like that you just can’t even entertain together.
So Heinz’ latest gimmicky publicity push makes me think NOOOOOOOOOO

Heinz | Heinz New Easter Treat

I suppose in theory there’s no reason why an egg and oil emulsion can’t carry these flavours but the idea makes me want to chuck!

What combo’s do you like separately but can’t stand paired? My son’s is peanut butter and jam (jello for our American friends).

If you like food and you want to enjoy it you need to keep an open mind right?
Sometimes a combination or product appears that just makes your body revolt at the very thought of it.
I’m not talking about food dislikes but things you do like that you just can’t even entertain together.
So Heinz’ latest gimmicky publicity push makes me think NOOOOOOOOOO

Heinz | Heinz New Easter Treat

I suppose in theory there’s no reason why an egg and oil emulsion can’t carry these flavours but the idea makes me want to chuck!

What combo’s do you like separately but can’t stand paired? My son’s is peanut butter and jam (jello for our American friends).
I agree with your son, dislike peanuts with anything sweet . No M&Ms for me either.

I don't like peanut butter (but I love satay sauce) so anything with peanut butter would be out anyway.

Neighbour of mine likes blueberry scrambled eggs. Definite NO for me
Fruit in my dinner (not talking tomato, egg plant, cucumber and the like, but peaches, tangarine, raisins, apple etc). I'll have them seperately, Thank you :)

And that idea of Heinz sounds wrong as well!

I don't like peanut butter (but I love satay sauce) so anything with peanut butter would be out anyway.

Neighbour of mine likes blueberry scrambled eggs. Definite NO for me
Fruit in my dinner (not talking tomato, egg plant, cucumber and the like, but peaches, tangarine, raisins, apple etc). I'll have them seperately, Thank you :)

And that idea of Heinz sounds wrong as well!

I’m not fond of some fruits in a savoury dinner, I find a sudden hit of something super sweet jarring and it kind of over powers the rest of the dish but there was a Curry house near me that did a type of curry with lychees in it (yes that does sound like a super sweet hit) and they somehow made that work beautifully, I just don’t know how.

My son’s is peanut butter and jam (jello for our American friends).

Jello to Americans is a cold, generally fruit flavored dessert (or could be a labeled as a salad brought to a potluck dinner, the lime green jello salad is an  abomination to me) that jiggles. Jello is also a trademarked name, though is used widely for similar products. It comes as a powder in boxes that is mixed with water and refrigerated, though they also sell shelf stable Jello now I believe.

I think you might have meant jelly, which is also called jam here, or preserves, which is jelly/jam with pieces of cooked, mushed fruit on it.

Last edited:
That Heinz stuff, just no.

I am also in the camp of no on ham and pineapple on pizza.

We make 3-mustard marinated and sauced grilled chicken that pairs quite nicely with cantaloupe and honeydew melons.

Craig and I both cannot stand watermelon and feta, but lots of people apparently like it so...

I love a peanut butter and banana sandwich on fresh white or honey wheat bread. But, add butter and grill it, no. It becomes nothing more than a big bite of oily, greasy mess. This was a sandwich made famous by Elvis. He was said to have added fried bacon too, but I have never wanted to try that. SandwichShortOfAPicnic 's son would probably like the plain PB&B sandwich, if he likes bananas, since he likes PB&Js.

Jello with marshmellows mixed in, regardless of what else is used, is a huge no.

I don't even like looking at ambrosia. Didn't even like it as a kid. I thank all dieties that it and jello salads are rarely seen anymore.

Jello to Americans is a cold, generally fruit flavored dessert (or could be a labeled as a salad brought to a potluck dinner, the lime green jello salad is an  abomination to me) that jiggles. Jello is also a trademarked name, though is used widely for similar products. It comes as a powder in boxes that is mixed with water and refrigerated

I think you might have meant jelly, which is also called jam here, or preserves, which is jelly/jam with pieces of cooked, mushed fruit on it.
Yes. I remember there being a lot of confusion in the forum about the difference in terminology regarding various foods and this was one of them.

Jell-O - Wikipedia
2019-10-10_22_15_43_Gelatin_from_a_single_opened_cup_of_Jell-O_strawberry_gelatin_snack_being_...jpg

One of my sisters puts grape jam on sausage-egg sandwiches (American style biscuits). My FIL likes peanut butter, mayo and bacon sandwiches. So disgusting. My son likes those Hawaiian pizzas with pineapple. One of my other sisters likes pizza with black olives, onions, ham and pineapple.

All of those are an abomination!

I really, really dislike margarine. I have once told my childhood horror story around it on here, won't do it again for the yuck factor lol. By now I can get it down when presented with a premade sandwich in hospital or something where they have put it on, but I will never use it myself. The horror combo (not the story) feated peanut butter and margarine on a sandwich.

Other things I really don't like together in one dish are fish with fruit (trout picasso, ugh) aforementioned peanut butter and jelly, and sauerkraut with bananas and ham (my mother's 70's style casserole 😟 ). That's about it I think.

Back
Top Bottom