Food Abominations

Not even satay or cookies TastyReuben ?
I donā€™t like satay at all, no.

Cookies are different; I meant peanut butter in its usual state as it is in the jar/tub. I donā€™t like that to be warm or hot and runny.

That said, Iā€™ll eat a peanut butter cookie warm from the oven, but do prefer they cool off.

I did make a cream of peanut soup (that I posted here) that did surprise me a littleā€¦but I havenā€™t made it since. :wink:

I've eaten Heinz baked beans, so I'm not surprised.

CD

When I saw SandwichShortOfAPicnic mention that this was Heinz and an Easter promotion, I imagined it would be a chocolate egg stuffed with baked beans or ketchup. By comparison, hot cross bun mayo sounds positively conventional.

HereĀ“s my abomination.
  • Pancakes
  • Bacon
  • Maple syrup
  • Or roast meat with BREAD SAUCE??? Puleeezz!!!
WHY???:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
Mind you, IĀ“m open to anything, to be honest. IĀ“ll eat peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter with marmite, peanut butter with cream cheese and sliced pickles. Ham goes really well with pineapple, so if you slap some bread in the middle (ie. pizza crust), whatĀ“s the big deal? IĀ“ve never got really excited about "green bean casserole" or "Katsu Curry", or even "Cupcakes", but there you are.
I was in a Gourmet event in Caracas back in 2011, and a chef friend of mine (who knows IĀ“m not really a meat eater) came by and said" HEY! Try this - open wide!".
I did, Grilled black pudding (blood sausage) with an apple chutney on top. Yeah, ok - it worked, but not exactly something IĀ“m going to rush out and prepare.

I think I might have to reevaluate my opinion of you. J/K! :laugh: :D But what's not to like about pancakes or bacon?

I'm not fond of maple syrup either. It's up there with pumpkin spice. :stop:
I think putting the bacon inside the pancakes would be weird.

I don't like maple syrup or pumplin spice as well. Don't like pumpkin itself, though.

I think putting the bacon inside the pancakes would be weird.

I don't like maple syrup or pumplin spice as well. Don't like pumpkin itself, though.

Well, kind of on the bacon, but I've seen it done.

I had tres leches pancakes once at a diner and they were fantastic. The pancakes had liquid and sugar and vanilla like a tres leches cake in the batter. They were plate sized, 2 of them, and they had a custard in between that was like the milk mixture to pour over a tres leche cake.

We had pancakes this morning using Bisquick as a base, but I added some sugar, sour cream and a little vanilla. I also accidentally used 2 cups of half and half, instead of 1 cup (was supposed to use milk, but I need to use up HnH). The batter was still fairly thick so I thought eh, I'll go with it. They came out great and were some of the lightest and fluffiest I've made.

I've got a couple of frozen ripe bananas that I was going to use for banana bread when I had a couple more, but I've been thinking about using them with some brown sugar and pecans for pancakes. IHop (International House of Pancakes, a chain restaurant for our of U.S.) used to have a butter pecan syrup that would be great with them.

And now i guess a pancake thread will get started. :hyper:

Last edited:
For those who hate certain foods, I assume youā€™ve tried what people claim are great examples of the food.

I remember hating vanilla ice cream. It seemed tasteless, and I wondered why anyone would ever order it. Then, one day, I tried vanilla ice cream that someone swore was amazingā€¦and they were right. The difference? Good ingredients, featuring pure vanilla extract. It turns out my parents bought the cheapest ice cream they could find, and it wasnā€™t very good.

My wife hated pot roast for years until I made it for her one day, and she loved it. It turned out that her parents incinerated everything they cooked because they were worried about the food being undercooked. And, they never added salt to anything. Cooking and seasoning properly makes a big difference.

By the way, my wifeā€™s dad called canned ham ā€œuncooked hamā€ because it was pink. Heā€™d cook it for at least 3 hours before heā€™d serve it. Interestingly, this didnā€™t ruin it: cured ham is pretty robust, so the result was almost a jerky.

Back
Top Bottom