Food Abominations

Craig wouldn't eat chicken fried steak for years because his mother and grandmother cooked it until it was leather. After trying and trying to get him to eat it, I finally gave up and made some for me and DD because we had been craving it since it had been so long. Well, instead of him making himself something else for dinner he decided to try it and loved it because I didn't cook it to death and it was actually tender.

My wife hated pot roast for years until I made it for her one day, and she loved it. It turned out that her parents incinerated everything they cooked because they were worried about the food being undercooked. And, they never added salt to anything. Cooking and seasoning properly makes a big difference.
My husband hated pot roast and still thinks he does. His mother didn't cook the pot roast long enough I guess and it was chewy and tough...or maybe it was cooked too long like your wife's mother did it? I dunno.

Anyway, 23 years ago when we got together I made my delicious, tender, moist and flavorful pot roast and he refused to eat it (his kids loved it). He refused it again and again for several years. One day I cubed the beef and veggies and did everything else exactly the same but called it "beef stew" lol. He loves my beef stew.

Let me clear something up immediately or I´m going to get myself in trouble. A dish with sweet pancakes, topped with bacon, and drizzled with maple syrup, IS an abomination. Each ingredient on its own, is not. Sorry, all you IHOP fans, I just can´t get my tastebuds round that one. Like sweet potatoes and marshmallows:yuck::yuck::yuck:
As for bread sauce, I stick with my opinion. It belongs on the municipal dump of culinary history.:laugh::laugh:

Let me clear something up immediately or I´m going to get myself in trouble. A dish with sweet pancakes, topped with bacon, and drizzled with maple syrup, IS an abomination. Each ingredient on its own, is not. Sorry, all you IHOP fans, I just can´t get my tastebuds round that one. Like sweet potatoes and marshmallows:yuck::yuck::yuck:
As for bread sauce, I stick with my opinion. It belongs on the municipal dump of culinary history.:laugh::laugh:

I need to make some bacon candy, and post a recipe. That should make your head spin. :laugh:

I went to a gourmet donut shop once, and had a maple bacon donut. OMG, that was good.

CD

Let me clear something up immediately or I´m going to get myself in trouble. A dish with sweet pancakes, topped with bacon, and drizzled with maple syrup, IS an abomination. Each ingredient on its own, is not. Sorry, all you IHOP fans, I just can´t get my tastebuds round that one.

Ah, but it depends on the amount of drizzle. Some people flood their pancakes and call it a drizzle. Others, like myself, truly do drizzle. I might use a couple of tablespoons on five 6-inch or so pancakes. I was hungry yesterday, don't usually eat that many.

And what is on the table at IHop is NOT maple syrup. It's pancake syrup, which is a far cry from maple syrup. IHop may offer true maple syrup, I haven't been to one in years, but they will charge extra for it because real maple syrup isn't cheap.

Kind of, that noodle dressing has fish sauce in it.:D
You beat me to it!
Yep, peanut butter and fish sauce go quite well together!

As for pancakes: a bacon pancake is quite common in the Netherlands and some people will put stroop or appelstroop on it.
I don't as I don't like the combo. I'm not sure how stroop compares to syrup....

Another weird combo
And now I go hide in a corner from a lot of you
Baked beans on toast!
Even worse with a slice of cheese on it!

No baked beans for breakfast either.
Maybe dinner, if you add bacon, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili peppers and a lot of other goodies :happy:

(please tell me when it is safe to come out of my secret hiding place)

I love the million dollar bacon at First Watch. It's one of the few maple syrup dishes I like.

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • ½ cup water
  • 8 slices thick cut bacon

What's not to like?

Hey...no fair entering your own recipe challenge!

Thanks for the clarification. I thought your apparently distaste for bacon was related to what you said about avoiding meats. But, I can understand why this combination is unpleasant.

But, I think I know how these things happen. Fifteen or so years ago, salted caramel started to become A Thing. It's not like it's the first time anyone had tried it...I just read that it was first popularized by a French chef in 1977. But, it did explode in popularity.

Then, at some point, someone must have thought, "If this sweet and savory combination works, maybe other combinations work?" And so, we have pancakes, syrup, and bacon. Prior to that, we have the McGriddle.
1680269457956.jpeg

I honestly had no idea what this was until I started reading this thread. For Americans, it's like the gravy used in biscuits and gravy, minus the sausage chunks in the gravy. I can see why this would be a divider. I like the sausage gravy with biscuits when done properly, but it's a very rare indulgence that I only enjoy if paramedics are standing by, just in case.

I would never eat pancakes with bacon on top of them, and of course never with maple syrup. Hate both sweet potatoes and marshmallows. Never had bread sauce and don't even know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom