Food Abominations

That stuff is crazy popular here. Every deli has it, even the super-fancy gourmet shop. It’s at every picnic or family gathering, and it’s sometimes labeled fairy salad.

Funny story, it’s one of my sis’s “signature dishes,” except she calls it Waldorf salad. Now, we probably all know what Waldorf salad is, and that ain’t it. When you press her, though, and start telling her what Waldorf salad is, she says, “Yeah, I know, but I don’t like this in it, or that in it, or this other thing, so I sub in this, that, and that.”

“Yeah, but now you’re just making ambrosia.”

😡 I SAID IT’S WALDORF SALAD!!!! 😡
My mother used to make some kind of fruit salad with mayonnaise and marshmallows in it. Yuck.

Bill Murray had a comment about unexpected combinations in the movie Ghostbusters:

image1.jpg

As for bread sauce, I stick with my opinion. It belongs on the municipal dump of culinary history.:laugh::laugh:

I love it but agree with you about pancakes, maple syrup and bacon.

I honestly had no idea what this was until I started reading this thread. For Americans, it's like the gravy used in biscuits and gravy, minus the sausage chunks in the gravy. I can see why this would be a divider.

Its not quite the same. Its a thick sauce served on the side, rather than a gravy poured over things. Traditionally its served with chicken or turkey.

I love it but agree with you about pancakes, maple syrup and bacon.

Its not quite the same. Its a thick sauce served on the side, rather than a gravy poured over things. Traditionally its served with chicken or turkey.

I'm going to have to make some. I assume this one is as close to an authentic recipe as it gets (note Mary Berry is the author):

Web exclusive recipe: Bread sauce

I assume the "cloves" she mentions in the recipe are these kind and not garlic:

flower-buds-clove-tree.jpg

I'm going to have to make some.
Make some, it’s good.

I go out of my way, and at great personal expense, to get copies of UK versions of Good Housekeeping, etc. at Christmastime, along with BBC Good Food, things like that.

You’d think there’d be a bread sauce recipe in each one, right? Think again…there will be at least three in each one!

My mother used to make some kind of fruit salad with mayonnaise and marshmallows in it. Yuck.

My mother made one with a large piece of crispy head lettuce, pineapple chunks, grated American cheese with a dollop of mayo on top. I loved it as a kid, mixed the pineapple cheese and mayo all together and pigged out, but know it sounds kind of gross, and I still make it for me every GREAT once in a while. Craig won't even try it.

It a as the idea of syrup and gravy together that was off-putting. While I would prefer biscuits, the idea of plain pancakes isn't too awful with gravy.
Yorkshire pudding with your Sunday roast is simply a puffy pancake batter that you (usually) fill with gravy 👍
Not my favourite thing in the world but hugely popular for more decades than I’ve been alive!

Yorkshire pudding with your Sunday roast is simply a puffy pancake batter that you (usually) fill with gravy 👍
Not my favourite thing in the world but hugely popular for more decades than I’ve been alive!
I love them with cranberry sauce, when I lived in the UK we had gravy and cranberry sauce with the turkey at christmas. Delicious!

Edit: but I am sure some find yorkies with cranberry sauce an abomination, I am a foreigner after all :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom