Food Abominations

Baked beans are never cooked for long enough before they’re tinned. IMO they need a long slow cook for the beans to soften a lot further than they usually are. So long that a lot of the original liquid has evaporated and you have to add water to loosen them again.

This Rachel Phipps recipe for homemade baked beans is really worth a go. My family who aren’t huge baked bean fans love these. Sorry I don’t know how tags work 😬
Not sure how tins of beans are listed as a fresh ingredient 😆

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chorozio-baked-beans.26687/

Last edited by a moderator:
True that. Any recommended brands or recipes?
I've tried them occasionally (various brands and recipes) for over 55 years. I like beans but not baked beans.
Baked beans are never cooked for long enough before they’re tinned. IMO they need a long slow cook for the beans to soften a lot further than they usually are. So long that a lot of the original liquid has evaporated and you have to add water to loosen them again.

This Rachel Phipps recipe for homemade baked beans is really worth a go. My family who aren’t huge baked bean fans love these. Sorry I don’t know how tags work 😬
Not sure how tins of beans are listed as a fresh ingredient 😆

View attachment 98138
Here in the US people take them out of the tins and bake them to death, often adding some conbination of few of these things: brown sugar, onion, bacon, ketchup (or tomato sauce), or mustard, or all of those and more before baking. I can't stand them. Its not a textural thing, it's sweetness with beans I don't like. I like garlic and salt with beans, and depending on the type of bean, maybe some butter.

I think a lot of bread sauce is the grim glue you describe and in the past I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. Then about 20 years ago I had some at my mother in laws and wow that was so good. Since then if I’ve made it myself I really enjoy it. Done right it’s just an onion and clove flavoured cream sauce.

Done badly (not enough time steeping the onions and not enough double cream used) it is a gloopy food hell 😆
This may sound like a stupid question, but what do you do with bread sauce? Do you actually put it on bread?

I dont even like jam on my bread. Or nut butters. Just regular butter or cream cheese on a bagel.

Edit: nevermind, I googled it. I think I'm good without it, lol.

Last edited:
I used to like baked beans, but have lost my taste for them over the last 10-15 years. On the rare times I make them for Craig or to take them somewhere, I've gotten requests for them, I start with Bush's Original. I fry 2 or 3 pieces of bacon per can, remove the bacon when crispy, sauté chopped onion and a little green bell and celery in the bacon fat, drain excess, mix in the canned beans, some ketchup, brown sugar and dried mustard until it tastes right, cover and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or so until it's all nice and bubbly, then remove cover and continue to bake until you get a little crust/carmelization.

Did anyone else here eat peanut butter and s&v crisp (UK term) sandwiches as a kid?

Or better still my brother loved Ribena milkshakes! That usually gets only one response. :o_o: :eek: I liked them, just not loved them. Ribena being a concentrated blackcurrant cordial usually mixed with water. I don't know if it made it to the USA, but it is here in Australia so probably did.

Another was peanut butter and sliced banana sandwiches.

Do you want me to continue?

Did anyone else here eat peanut butter and s&v crisp (UK term) sandwiches as a kid?

Or better still my brother loved Ribena milkshakes! That usually gets only one response. :o_o: :eek: I liked them, just not loved them. Ribena being a concentrated blackcurrant cordial usually mixed with water. I don't know if it made it to the USA, but it is here in Australia so probably did.

Noooo
Those are awful combinations!
To me, that is.
Each to their own :)

The after T-Day dinner turkey sandwich! Gotta have me one or two!
This last Thanksgiving, Jacques Pepin went on Jimmy Fallon’ late night show and they had a Thanksgiving sandwich challenge:

View: https://youtu.be/aVu3lX8fNXo

(May not be available everywhere)

Ribena being a concentrated blackcurrant cordial usually mixed with water.
You can get it here in the US. You just have to know where to go. The first time I saw Ribena, I thought the name sounded like medicine.

Still do on rare occasion.
I love PB&B sandwiches. I’ve eaten them all my life, and I still do for a quick lunch.

The after T-Day dinner turkey sandwich! Gotta have me one or two!
I love after Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches: turkey, mayo, salt, pepper, on sliced soft white bread. Maybe a tomato slice in there or a dash of mustard but usually keep it simple. But I don't like cranberry sauce, stuffing, or gravy. I mean in general, much less on my sandwich. I like sausage gravy on biscuits and white gravy on chicken fried steak but otherwise no gravy for me (butter only on mashed potatoes). Stuffing? Not on my Thanksgiving plate. I like crabmeat stuffing I make for stuffed shrimp or stuffed grouper. Otherwise no. I drink cranberry juice with vodka but can't stand cranberry sauce. Why anyone would ruin a perfectly good sandwich is beyond me 😅

I’ve never heard of Ribena milkshake. I do know they have ruined Ribena and most other cordials since the introduction of the sugar tax. Most cordial producers used a combination of sugar and sweetener to stay under the tax threshold and as someone who really dislikes the taste of sweeteners I do not like the new cordials.

My son was very ill for over a week and refusing food, just sipping water so I decided a cordial would be a good idea for a few tiny calories. I went through the ingredients on every cordial on the shelf, they were all made with artificial sweeteners bar one (Rocks). The sugar tax adds very little to the overall price but the manufacturers don’t want to be labelled as bad, it‘s quite a disappointment.

What about this:

0DDA0A0D-E49E-4927-996C-26CA3DD3A1DF.jpeg

I wouldn't necessary eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich.. but as an Indonesian I do love Pisang goreng ( fried banana) with katjang ( peanut) sauce so why not I guess?

A popular sandwich for Dutchified Indo people is peanut butter, sambal and cucumber..

Back
Top Bottom