Food faux pas: Asking for steak "well done"! Double-dipping! Putting ketchup on a Chicago hot dog!

I'm a salt addict and will pretty well always add more salt to things. Well, not salted crisps - I prefer unsalted and add your own salt.

Some people do like their salt although it is probably how they are raised, I only add to chips nothing else.

I just wish she would show me the courtesy of tasting it first to see how much she needed to add. I might as well not season any of her food before serving as she would still add the same amount of salt.
If I make her a sandwich, I'll put a tiny little bit of salt on the tomatoes, not on anything else and she always enjoys it and says it's lovely.

I just wish she would show me the courtesy of tasting it first to see how much she needed to add. I might as well not season any of her food before serving as she would still add the same amount of salt.
If I make her a sandwich, I'll put a tiny little bit of salt on the tomatoes, not on anything else and she always enjoys it and says it's lovely.
Funny that isn't it! It must just be habit in her case. Or perhaps its a little domestic power battle. :D At least I do tend to taste things before I add the salt.

Only thing I can think of is asking for cutlery in an authentic chinese restaurant. I've learned to use chopsticks since then but still prefer a fork.

Only thing I can think of is asking for cutlery in an authentic chinese restaurant. I've learned to use chopsticks since then but still prefer a fork.

Chopsticks are unusable so I always use a fork, I have tried so many times but cannot get the hang of them

Fair point, it is rude.

Someone in my family always asks for extra salt before she has even tried the food. I made a delicious tomato salad the other day which included seasoning which I told her but she still wouldn't eat it without putting extra on.
Speaking of salt, I once lived with a family that didn't bother with a salt shaker because the mom heavily salted everything. Well that is until her husband had a stroke. Then she just put two salt shakers on the table for 8 people and 4 kids. I personally lost about 5 lbs of retained water.
Only her husband noticed I didn't touch the salt shaker. I was promptly moved to the chair beside him for the next meals.
He thought I did it for him. I told him no, we didn't have salt on the table when I was growing up.

I prefer my steak rare, particularly fillet. Unless it's a guest of mine, I am not really interested how other folks prefer their steak cooked. I am not aware what a "Chicago Hotdog" consists of: however, sometimes I put mustard on my hotdogs and sometimes ketchup. Always onions. Same with burgers. "Double dipping" is rare here as all local foods are cut "bite sized" prior to cooking; hence no knives on the table.

rare beef.jpg

I prefer my steak rare, particularly fillet. Unless it's a guest of mine, I am not really interested how other folks prefer their steak cooked. I am not aware what a "Chicago Hotdog" consists of: however, sometimes I put mustard on my hotdogs and sometimes ketchup. Always onions. Same with burgers. "Double dipping" is rare here as all local foods are cut "bite sized" prior to cooking; hence no knives on the table.

View attachment 4926

At home we cook steak rare but in restaurants we ask for medium rare.. Always onions and ketchup on hotdogs.

He he ... a few others I'm guilty of; I don't know which wine goes with which course; sometimes I over-salt because I don't taste first; have also learned to use chopsticks (after many hours chasing little lumps of food around the wet little bowls); knife and fork with your pizza anyone? :laugh:

With you all on the steak thing though, definitely don't think it is a foodie sin to ask for it well done. :bbq:

He he ... a few others I'm guilty of; I don't know which wine goes with which course; sometimes I over-salt because I don't taste first; have also learned to use chopsticks (after many hours chasing little lumps of food around the wet little bowls); knife and fork with your pizza anyone? :laugh:

With you all on the steak thing though, definitely don't think it is a foodie sin to ask for it well done. :bbq:
Depends is it a commercial pizza or a homemade pizza 3 inches thick?

:eek: - I tend to eat the very thin crust ones - a 3" thick one would take me all night to eat. :laugh:
Note: this had a thin crust. The rest was filling. Might make another one but it is much cheaper to go to a pizza buffet than buy all the ingredients.

Did the steak thing in another thread but I LIKE STEAK WELL DONE and pah to anyone who says I'm wrong. I will always suspect that a large number of people choose rare is because 1 - it's 'the done thing' 2 - they have never had a juicy and properly cooked well done steak and 3 - many chefs use the old excuse well done = boot leather because they either can't be bothered to do it properly or [much worse] are incompetent and not worthy of the name chef.
I say try well done and if it comes to the table like something resembling a shoe sole send it back and demand it be done properly. YOU are the customer and YOU say what is right and what you want. It is the chef's duty to prepare it NOT to excuse their own failings by telling you that you are wrong.
Sorry for the rant :oops:

Did the steak thing in another thread but I LIKE STEAK WELL DONE and pah to anyone who says I'm wrong. I will always suspect that a large number of people choose rare is because 1 - it's 'the done thing' 2 - they have never had a juicy and properly cooked well done steak and 3 - many chefs use the old excuse well done = boot leather because they either can't be bothered to do it properly or [much worse] are incompetent and not worthy of the name chef.
I say try well done and if it comes to the table like something resembling a shoe sole send it back and demand it be done properly. YOU are the customer and YOU say what is right and what you want. It is the chef's duty to prepare it NOT to excuse their own failings by telling you that you are wrong.
Sorry for the rant :oops:
One of the restaurants here in town, we can always tell if there is a new meat cutter or grill cook.
However one prefers their steak, done right is fabulous and cooked badly is just bad.
I like rare but I once got an almost raw one. Luckily the boss stepped in and told the new guy how long to cook a rare steak.

Back
Top Bottom