Food Waste Challenge ~ September 2022

I've just thrown out ¾s of a packet of Thai white glutinous rice that is unusable. It is meant to be soaked overnight and then cooked for 45 minutes. To date we've tried everything to make it useable and the best we've come up with was to not soak it and to briefly introduce it to boiling water. Anything longer than 5 minutes has it disintegrating well beyond the concept of Indian rice porridge. I've no idea what has happened to it but it is unusable.

Ordinarily I'd have cooked it for the chooks but it disintegrates so quickly that even they are not interested in it, plus we're trying to teach them to use a treadle feeder where they stand on it and it opens, so that means no additional feeding and all other feeders have had to be removed (except the other 2 treadle feeders which 3 or 4 chooks do use).

I've replaced it with some new of a different brand.

1 stray sausage, 2 lonely eggs, 2 YMCA potatoes and 1/4 onion, converted into breakfast for my ravenous son. All fried in loads of lovely lard. 😎 😎 😎

A few Padron peppers as they had grown mould. My fault for ordering them then not making the dish I intended. So they had been lingering for 2 weeks. I rescued the rest though and will try to use them ASAP.

Well SHOOT!
I just found a frozen Puff Pasty sheet (best by date 6-2021 !!!) and an entire box of frozen Phyllo Dough (best by 12-2021), dang it all!
It's a good thing that the rubbish hasn't been collected yet and the large can/bin is still sitting on the curb, off they went!
That's $2 for the pastry and $4 for the Phyllo :mad:
But wait, there's more!
I decant our Half & Half for our coffee into small pitchers. I just opened a new carton of ultra-pasteurized Half & Half and it's soured!! I just bought it!! The expiration date on the carton is 10-31-2022 :meh:
There's $4 down the drain, literally!

My total to date: $10.50 USD and it's only the 13th of the month :headshake:

I just found a frozen Puff Pasty sheet (best by date 6-2021 !!!) and an entire box of frozen Phyllo Dough (best by 12-2021), dang it all!

I'd have thawed them out then seen how it looked. I've often used out of date frozen puff pastry older than the one you had and its been fine. In fact I frequently eat stuff past its 'best by' date.

I'd have thawed them out then seen how it looked. I've often used out of date frozen puff pastry older than the one you had and its been fine. In fact I frequently eat stuff past its 'best by' date.
Same here. I don't take much notice of BBD to be honest especially with frozen stuff. If i did, i reckon almost 90% of my deep freeze needs to be thrown out... The exception being 1 vegan ready meal, 2 bags of veg (sweet corn and peas separately), 2 loaves of bread & the vegan ice cream purchased last weekend or today.

In fact I'm currently on a 2 week campaign to eat from the freezer... the 1 in the garage needs the bottom to be located and cleared and I need some of my storage containers back so that I can stock up again... between you and I, I think it could easily be a 2 month campaign and I'd still have stuff in there. But nothing can be older than 2 years because the deep freeze is less than 2 years old and the last one failed on me and the contents were lost... and hubby has somehow ended up with another fridge for me that's bigger than our current one. I don't know if that comes with a freezer section to it but it's only a couple of months old and his work no longer requires it. Ours is 6 years old and has a funny motor noise from time to time, so it's coming our way... more space to fill :o_o:

In fact I'm currently on a 2 week campaign to eat from the freezer... the 1 in the garage needs the bottom to be located and cleared and I need some of my storage containers back so that I can stock up again... between you and I, I think it could easily be a 2 month campaign and I'd still have stuff in there.

I really really ought to do this myself and stop buying new fresh ingredients. I suspect it might even take me longer than 2 months. And I'm only talking about two {half fridge size) upright freezers. One badly needs defrosting to the point where I can't open one of the drawers!

I don't usually throw out food, but last week I had to trash three onions that were getting moldy :( Made me feel terrible!

Otherwise I don't usually throw out food. Except for meat/fish skins and bones that are left on the plate after we eat.

By the way, I really love this topic as food waste is one of the biggest offenders to sustainability and decreasing food waste is relatively easy to do and is friendly to both the planet and our wallets :) Maybe we could share ideas of what we do to decrease food waste in our homes? Or recipes we cook with parts of food that would normally end up in the trash?

By the way, I really love this topic as food waste is one of the biggest offenders to sustainability and decreasing food waste is relatively easy to do and is friendly to both the planet and our wallets :) Maybe we could share ideas of what we do to decrease food waste in our homes? Or recipes we cook with parts of food that would normally end up in the trash?
Yes!
I liked what JAS_OH1 shared with what to do with leftover French Fries/Chips

Yesterday I had to discard the end of a cucumber as it had literally turned to mush. Also a few strawberries which were growing mould.

I had some really good strawberries go South on me rather suddenly. Only about 5 berries, but still a waste of good fruit.

CD

Back
Top Bottom