Food Waste Challenge ~ September 2022

I've just thrown out ¾s of a packet of Thai white glutinous rice that is unusable. It is meant to be soaked overnight and then cooked for 45 minutes. To date we've tried everything to make it useable and the best we've come up with was to not soak it and to briefly introduce it to boiling water. Anything longer than 5 minutes has it disintegrating well beyond the concept of Indian rice porridge. I've no idea what has happened to it but it is unusable.

Ordinarily I'd have cooked it for the chooks but it disintegrates so quickly that even they are not interested in it, plus we're trying to teach them to use a treadle feeder where they stand on it and it opens, so that means no additional feeding and all other feeders have had to be removed (except the other 2 treadle feeders which 3 or 4 chooks do use).

I've replaced it with some new of a different brand.

I'm not sure how much it disintegrates, but we recently had some rice cakes made with vastly overcooked rice, then shaped and fried at a restaurant. They were really good, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Let me see if I can find the Pic.

They are the bottom golden brown pieces. Tuna tartare on the top of them with a kewpie mayo/Wasabi sauce. I know you couldn't/wouldn't eat the toppings, but I'm sure you could top the rice cakes with something, as long as that rice is useable for them.

I can't really join because I've been going through our freezers trying to clean them out. We haven't bought any protein other than deli meat for Craig in 3 weeks now and I can't believe how much we've continued to spend in the grocery, though it's not all actual food. I've thrown a good bit of unrecognizable food or very badly freezer burned food away.

Happily though, I did find a bag with a couple of pieces of guanciale and some frozen shrimp I didn't realize we had, as well as a bag of little neck clams with broth, and that's just from a part of 1 freezer.

Had to throw a very over ripe kiwi fruit out to the chooks today. They loved it. Gone in a few minutes flat. Rather like feeding a pack of wolves, feathers flying everywhere. Anyone would think I don't feed them... (errr I don't, I insist they put their own heads into the treadle feeder for seed instead. )

The mouldy courgette on the other hand went into the compost bin.

Sometimes I wish we had chickens to get the produce scarps to, but in the neighborhood we can not.
Some countries (e.g the UK) actually prohibit giving chooks scraps and kitchen/cooking waste due to the risk of transferring diseases between species (avian flu amongst others). It is policed by your neighbours reporting you or you learning the hard way and killing some of your flock (salt is poisonous to them in anything except minute amounts).

I rarely feed them scraps to be honest. There are quite a few things that you shouldn't feed them (wish my chooks knew that though, it would mean my veg plot might survive) such as alliums (my lot love raw garlic! ) and most human food is too salty for them.

But overripe fruit they'll kill each other over given half a chance! And if it is red and overripe... blood will be spilt if there isn't enough for the whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom