Foods you dislike

I will eat anything I’m given.

There are things about which I’m quite fussy regarding preparation and I’m not super keen on overly processed foods or green veg that’s over cooked. I don’t prepare Brussels sprouts at home but I eat them if they are served to me.

I loved crumbed lambs brains, whole roasted fish, I had haggis a few times on my UK trip and enjoyed it. I love blood sausage.

I planned a lunch with foodie friends at an Indonesian restaurant last weekend. Some of them found the fried anchovy sambals challenging.
I tried a new ingredient - stinky beans - they were in a prawn curry stir fry and some of us thought they just tasted pretty much like a double peeled broad bean while others had a strong aversion to them.

What foods do you dislike no matter how many times you try them or different ways they are prepared/cooked?

What foods do you dislike when growing up and end up liking later in life?
Hazelnuts. In any shape or form. While I have become adversely sensitive to certain nuts, I have absolutely NO desire to test hazelnuts out on this. Would hate to get sick on a food I despise to begin with.

Dates, fresh or dried. Just, NOOOO...

The majority of dried fruits - raisins, figs, and so forth. It's a combo of the texture and the overladen sweetness. But I do like dried strawberries and tomatoes. The texture isn't "gummy" and they are not obnoxiously sweet.

Things I liked later in life I hated as a kid: Brussels sprouts, peas. In part, we never saw fresh Brussels sprouts in my early years. I buy them now and roast them - spectacular. Peas are also better fresh. (Although I always did like snow peas.) I am still not crazy about carrots, but will use them for mirepoix.

I LOVE bitter melon.

If cooked carefully, I will now cook and willingly eat chicken breast. But it still depends.

I never ate beef, pork, veal, lamb or fish when I was a kid, UNLESS they were minced, so a burger or fish finger was OK. Chicken was our main protein (and cheese, of course) and eventually, turkey.
I started eating fish when I was about 28-29; now, I can´t eat enough of it.
There´s no vegetable I will not eat. Not one.
Offal?
Give it to the dog.
Offal? I will take most types of it off your hands! Don't waste it on a dog!

I got one!! Balut! sorry, I bet they are delicious, but my mind can't wrap around the look of the thing.

never tried one, but I can't imagine EVER eating one.
Balut: The idea is somewhat intimidating, but if I can eat duck eggs at their initial stage, and adult duck... I could probably eat the intermediate stage of balut? Someday will see. Maybe.

I will eat anything I’m given.

There are things about which I’m quite fussy regarding preparation and I’m not super keen on overly processed foods or green veg that’s over cooked. I don’t prepare Brussels sprouts at home but I eat them if they are served to me.

I loved crumbed lambs brains, whole roasted fish, I had haggis a few times on my UK trip and enjoyed it. I love blood sausage.

I planned a lunch with foodie friends at an Indonesian restaurant last weekend. Some of them found the fried anchovy sambals challenging.
I tried a new ingredient - stinky beans - they were in a prawn curry stir fry and some of us thought they just tasted pretty much like a double peeled broad bean while others had a strong aversion to them.
I loveee peteh beans, but it's indeed a divisive food like coriander/ cilantro.

Hmmm. They didn’t have a strong smell or taste to me but I used to dislike coriander and learned to eat it due to my banh mi addiction but now I eat coriander with everything.

I loveee peteh beans, but it's indeed a divisive food like coriander/ cilantro.

Never tried them but co-incidentally saw a TV programme yesterday where Ainsley Harriot sampled some (he was in Thailand). He described them as bitter and a little like young raw broad beans. I wonder if Yorky has tried them as they are grown in Thailand. They also go by the name of sator beans, it seems.

Never tried them but co-incidentally saw a TV programme yesterday where Ainsley Harriot sampled some (he was in Thailand). He described them as bitter and a little like young raw broad beans. I wonder if Yorky has tried them as they are grown in Thailand. They also go by the name of sator beans, it seems.
Well Bahasa Indonesian is a different language from Thai so that makes sense

I have not tried them. My wife informs me that they are mainly eaten in the south of Thailand (and likely Malaysia). She said they stink and carry that stink onward into one's poo pourri. The word for them in Thai is สะตอสด (sator) and they can be cooked with prawns and included occasionally in somtam.

I'll give them a miss.

I feel like the list of foods I like is shorter than the list of foods I dislike :laugh:

I have always been a picky eater but on the good side, I can eat the same foods over and over again and it takes me a long time before I get tired of said food. And I can't really bring myself to like fruits, I hate the texture. Only fruit I can tolerate is apples.

This is such an interesting thread. I am an adventurous eater, and I will try anything at least once. I can totally understand people who have intolerances and allergies to things, but it does seem that a lot of things people don't like are due to smell, texture, and what they have come to think of as a food. Given that there are so many options out there these days, finding alternatives isn't a real problem. It's not like it was 20 years ago or so, where options were limited.

While I will try anything at least once, it doesn't mean I'll have it a second time. Here's an example of that:

46-a235-522b14da8912-XXX_GettyImages-667769494_dcb.jpg

No, this is not me about to enjoy a plate of bugs and worms. It's someone else who's much too happy about it. Good for you: you're able to prepare these in a way that's edible, and even tasty. And, I realize that there's a high protein content, and no fat. But.....I can find things that fit these descriptions without them being bugs and worms.

^I’ve eaten (and enjoyed) dried crickets before. They’re crunchy with a mild nutty flavor to them. They have a much lower carbon footprint than many other proteins, and they’re pretty healthy.

One food I cannot like, no matter how many times I try, is mushrooms. My husband LOVES them and was devastated when I admitted to him that I’m not a fan. Every now and then, I try one, just to make sure - and yep. Still don’t like them. It’s something about the texture.

Two foods that I hated as a kid, but love now, are raw tomatoes (I’d eat them cooked, but not raw), and pizza. I was the only kid in the universe who didn’t like pizza, but I love it now!

One food I cannot like, no matter how many times I try, is mushrooms. My husband LOVES them and was devastated when I admitted to him that I’m not a fan. Every now and then, I try one, just to make sure - and yep. Still don’t like them. It’s something about the texture.

You've just reminded me that my wife always tells me that she hates onions. It doesn't matter that I explain that onions are integral parts of things she loves, like soups and sauces. For some reason, when she thinks of onions in a food, she imagines that I'm taking raw onion and sprinkling it on top at the end. If I'm preparing something, and she sees onions on the counter, she'll ask me to make it without onions. One time, I made a stew without onions, since she saw me about to prepare it with them. Her verdict? She didn't like it, and she swore that it wasn't because the onions weren't there. She really didn't realize what she was missing, since she's gotten so use to soups that have them. Now, I make sure to prepare foods that require onions when she's not around. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom