Foods you love in some forms and hate in others

When I was first dating my wife, she had me over to her parents house, and her mom had made chili. They were eating it with rice in it, which to me was like putting onions in ice cream. I passed on the rice.

When I make chili now, I'll always make either some macaroni or some rice, especially for MrsT. After 30 years, I've just about weaned her off the rice and onto the macaroni, aka chili mac.

However, I think my Ohio visa expired long ago, as my issue with Cincinnati-style chili has nothing to do with the spaghetti it's served over, but the nasty chili sauce itself. :laugh:

I don't see the comparison to onion and rice. Rice is bland, onions are pungent. We grew up on chili and rice.

I don't like Cincinnati chili.

Herring. I hate their harsh, fishy taste in casseroles and don´t love them even smoked - but strongly seasoned, sweet'n'sour pickled herring, new season potatoes and a pinch of butter. Ahh...

Image: Menu mustaherukkasilli 2,5kg/1,25kg MSC

I think we have another language misunderstanding. I believe @latenightgourmet is referring to chili as the dish made with beef usually, with or without beans, that some people like to serve with pasta, Craig included, some with rice, some with cornbread, some by itself.

While @morningglory is referring to chiles, as in the red pepper flakes, dried chiles, etc.

My mistake probably. I should have known by the context that chilli as in the Mexican style meat dish was being referenced.

That's the milk I've been buying for the last year or so, and since it doesn't come in gallons, we get through an opened container in no time.

When I was first dating my wife, she had me over to her parents house, and her mom had made chili. They were eating it with rice in it, which to me was like putting onions in ice cream. I passed on the rice.

When I make chili now, I'll always make either some macaroni or some rice, especially for MrsT. After 30 years, I've just about weaned her off the rice and onto the macaroni, aka chili mac.

However, I think my Ohio visa expired long ago, as my issue with Cincinnati-style chili has nothing to do with the spaghetti it's served over, but the nasty chili sauce itself. :laugh:

Try serving chili over crumbled cornbread. That's a Texas thing.

CD

My mistake probably. I should have known by the context that chilli as in the Mexican style meat dish was being referenced.

The meat dish called chili is actually not Mexican...

"The modern dish we know as chili, also known as chili con carne (chili with meat), does appear to have roots in the American West, particularly the State of Texas. An old legend holds that immigrants from the Canary Islands brought a recipe for chili with them when they settled San Antonio in the early 1700s. Historians do know that chili was a popular meal amongst cowboys and pioneers on the Western frontier.

In the 1880s, chili stands became popular in San Antonio. Women known as "chili queens" served "bowls o' red" to customers, and the fame of chili con carne began to spread across the country. The 1893 World's Fair in Chicago featured the dish at the San Antonio Chili Stand."

Where Was Chili Invented?

CD

The meat dish called chili is actually not Mexican...

"The modern dish we know as chili, also known as chili con carne (chili with meat), does appear to have roots in the American West, particularly the State of Texas. An old legend holds that immigrants from the Canary Islands brought a recipe for chili with them when they settled San Antonio in the early 1700s. Historians do know that chili was a popular meal amongst cowboys and pioneers on the Western frontier.

In the 1880s, chili stands became popular in San Antonio. Women known as "chili queens" served "bowls o' red" to customers, and the fame of chili con carne began to spread across the country. The 1893 World's Fair in Chicago featured the dish at the San Antonio Chili Stand."

Where Was Chili Invented?

CD

I stand corrected. :okay:

I never had a McNuffin. I only like chicken nuggest at McDonalds. That’s another thing I don’t like, hamburguer bread, although I generally love bread
Sorry to be so late to the party, LOL! McMuffin's are served on English muffins, not hamburger bread, so they are not soft and don't get soggy. I make them at home and I like them much better than the FF version.

I am also late to the party.
I’m thinking about this just now after having a conversation with my wife. She told me “I hate tomatoes. “

I reminded her that she likes ketchup, pasta sauce, and tomato soup. She said that she doesn’t like them raw, but then requested that I put more of them in guacamole I was making!

She has also said that she hates onions, and doesn’t appreciate my smarty-pants reply when I point out that she likes onion rings, and that literally every soup she’s ever had contains onions.

The few times I’ve prepared recipes when she’s around, she will tell me not to put onions in it. This is tricky because it’s hard for me to imagine a savory recipe that doesn’t involve onions in some way. Needless to say, I don’t prepare recipes around her if they involve onions. I swear she acts as if I’m going to chop up raw onions at the very end and force them down her throat.

I think when people say they hate an ingredient, it’s because there is a specific format that they don’t like. Either that, or they had a bad experience growing up with the way their parents prepared something with that ingredient.

My wife used to hate steak because her parents would always incinerate it: they were so paranoid about any tiny bit of pink in the steak meaning it was still raw that it would be basically shoe leather by the time they served it. I quickly introduced her to the wonders of medium rare steak. It wasn’t that hard to convert her.
After some contemplation I realize that my "Hate List" is not the food itself but preparation.
Overcooked eggs or vegetables :yuck:
Over cooked seafood - a sin
Overcooked beef, lamb or duck - criminal
Okra - Dad loved boiled okra - slime bomb. He also liked smothered okra - slime hand grenade
I like okra in a seafood gumbo - only if the okra is quickly tossed in a hot skillet to cook off the slime. I LOVE grilled okra.
Milk - As a child I drank fresh milk, had fresh cream for my oatmeal and home churned butter. I usually drink two glasses of milk per day. G will usually drink a glass of milk before bed (especially if there are sweets in the house.} Milk never goes bad in my house.
Peppers - I like the flavor of fresh peppers - my stomach can not take peppers for the sake of heat. I do not appreciate dishes prepared with so much pepper that my taste buds are wrecked. I want to taste the food I am eating with pepper as an enhancement.
I do not have much experience eating insects. I have eaten raw termites, taste like carrots. I am willing to try just about anything. I will even try more than once with different preparations.
There are many things that I was not crazy about as a child but at least enjoy if not love as an adult. Mostly vegetables that were overcooked.

Back
Top Bottom