Foods you love in some forms and hate in others

Canadian bacon is more like ham than bacon and the cheese is really more "cheesefood" than cheese, lol.

I know you eat seafood, do you not eat land animals?

I do, I just don't like bacon. Ham is ok, if I must eat it I prefer it cold though.

I do, I just don't like bacon. Ham is ok, if I must eat it I prefer it cold though.

That's what Canadian bacon looks like. It's making me crave some eggs Benedict!

I smell everything before eating and drinking most of the time.

It only takes one time to drink bad milk and the fear of it happening again stays with you.
I certainly do smell the milk if I have any questions about whether or not it's safe to drink. I know that the milk can still be good for a few days past the sell-by date. But, I don't smell it if I know it's fresh. I hadn't really thought about it until I read some replies to this thread. And, now that I've tried smelling fresh milk, I don't mind it.

Maybe the aversion some have to the smell of milk derives from what you detect when the smell is off? This is along the lines of my wife not wanting any onion in a recipe because she associates onion with it's harsh, raw aspects.

Milk just smells weird to me, fresh or not. Cream and half-and-half, same thing. There's a difference between weird and spoiled, though.

I smell all dairy now, because I've had milk well within its "good by" date go off more than once. After reading about it, I attribute it to the fine print with that date - the "good by" date applies to unopened milk. If you read the fine print on the side of the carton, it says that once it's opened, it should be consumed within five days (or seven days or 10 days), and I know there are times when that hasn't happened, so now I sniff it every time.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is carrots. I don't mind them raw. I do not like them cooked. Not even if they retain some of their texture.

I used to not like shrooms in any form. Now their one of my favorites. Just had to train my palate lol

I can eat raw carrots, dipped in a healthy amount of ranch dressing. :D

But, as with you, NO cooked carrots. My mom has had bad eyesight all her life, so she put carrots in everything she could.

CD

I certainly do smell the milk if I have any questions about whether or not it's safe to drink. I know that the milk can still be good for a few days past the sell-by date. But, I don't smell it if I know it's fresh. I hadn't really thought about it until I read some replies to this thread. And, now that I've tried smelling fresh milk, I don't mind it.

Maybe the aversion some have to the smell of milk derives from what you detect when the smell is off? This is along the lines of my wife not wanting any onion in a recipe because she associates onion with it's harsh, raw aspects.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Try organic milk! It smells better. It tastes better. It lasts longer in the fridge.

CD

Milk just smells weird to me, fresh or not. Cream and half-and-half, same thing. There's a difference between weird and spoiled, though.

I smell all dairy now, because I've had milk well within its "good by" date go off more than once. After reading about it, I attribute it to the fine print with that date - the "good by" date applies to unopened milk. If you read the fine print on the side of the carton, it says that once it's opened, it should be consumed within five days (or seven days or 10 days), and I know there are times when that hasn't happened, so now I sniff it every time.

I can get a whole month, easily, out of a half-gallon carton of organic milk. I don't know why, but it has been consistent for the last five years I've been buying it. Next time you buy milk at Kroger, buy a carton of their Simple Choice organic milk.

CD

TastyReuben: what do you think about chili on things that usually don't have chili, like pasta. Yes, this is a test so you can keep your Ohio citizenship.

I've had chili spaghetti and barbecue sauce spaghetti. I didn't care for either one. Then again, I'm not a big fan of "Cincinnati Chili." But, to each his own.

CD

Last edited:
Next time you buy milk at Kroger, buy a carton of their Simple Choice organic milk.
That's the milk I've been buying for the last year or so, and since it doesn't come in gallons, we get through an opened container in no time.

TastyReuben: what do you think about chili on things that usually don't have chili, like pasta. Yes, this is a test so you can keep your Ohio citizenship.
When I was first dating my wife, she had me over to her parents house, and her mom had made chili. They were eating it with rice in it, which to me was like putting onions in ice cream. I passed on the rice.

When I make chili now, I'll always make either some macaroni or some rice, especially for MrsT. After 30 years, I've just about weaned her off the rice and onto the macaroni, aka chili mac.

However, I think my Ohio visa expired long ago, as my issue with Cincinnati-style chili has nothing to do with the spaghetti it's served over, but the nasty chili sauce itself. :laugh:

Chilli is quite often used with pasta - in Putanesca Sauce for example or Pasta Aglio Olio and various seafood pasta dishes.
Interesting...I never thought of putanesca as a chili, but there are similarities in that they are both chunky things rather than smooth sauces.

Chilli is quite often used with pasta - in Putanesca Sauce for example or Pasta Aglio Olio and various seafood pasta dishes.

Interesting...I never thought of putanesca as a chili, but there are similarities in that they are both chunky things rather than smooth sauces.

I think we have another language misunderstanding. I believe @latenightgourmet is referring to chili as the dish made with beef usually, with or without beans, that some people like to serve with pasta, Craig included, some with rice, some with cornbread, some by itself.

While @morningglory is referring to chiles, as in the red pepper flakes, dried chiles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom