Foods you love in some forms and hate in others

I had a hard time thinking of something I flat-out don't like in certain forms, but you've just found it. Okra by themselves are slimy little monsters, but in a gumbo they're magical.

Breaded and deep fried is a Texas thing, and I love it! Great with mashed potatoes and white gravy. Stewed? Forget it.

ChickenHR2B.jpg

CD

I love tomatoes. Everywhere except in ketchup (too sweet) and in your usual tomato soup. (Although I like a good gazpacho.) I love a good quality tomato sauce.

I dislike carrots. Except in carrot cake (if not too sweet) or in mirepoix.

I'm with Tasty on the nut thing. If you do bake them into something, they should be rendered into flour, first.

Cottage cheese is only acceptable if cooked into something. Cold with a salad... those curds are an instant turn off, reminding me of Milk Gone Bad. (Must be some sort of childhood trauma here...)

I love fresh plums and figs. Once they're dehydrated and dried, both the concentrated sweetness and that horrid "gummy bear" texture sure turn me OFF.

I love okra, but can't stand it batter fried when they cut the pieces down to 1/4 - 1/3 inch segments and THEN batter them. It's just batter and no veggie, then. I batter them whole (or if large, in halves).

I love fresh plums and figs. Once they're dehydrated and dried, both the concentrated sweetness and that horrid "gummy bear" texture sure turn me OFF.
I love plums in any form, and prunes are a real kitchen "secret weapon" here. I love the concentrated sweetness they add.

Figs...can't abide them fresh, but I like them in paste form (Fig Newtons) and jams.

I don't know if this exactly counts, but I like barbecue sauce on things that barbecue sauce belongs on, like brisket and chicken and pulled pork.

I can't stomach the idea of barbecue sauce on a hamburger, or a hot dog, or used as a pizza sauce (!). We have a well-known barbecue place here (Bob Hope used to get ribs flown in - they tell you that about 40 times before you get to order your food) and they're known for their homemade potato chips, served with their homemade sauce, and I can't even... :headshake:

Breaded and deep fried is a Texas thing, and I love it! Great with mashed potatoes and white gravy. Stewed? Forget it.

View attachment 46660

CD
Phenomenal. It seems that the lesson is to do whatever you can to make you forget there's okra in there.

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon where frying food makes it more tolerable?

Back
Top Bottom