Foods You Love That Others Find Strange?

Raw ground beef sandwiches with salt and onions. Was always a treat as a kid when Mom would get home from butcher shop with freshly ground beef. These days, I don't indulge anymore due to so many advisories against and mass packaging vs local butcher shop.

My father and oldest brother used to eat raw beef sandwiches, but ate prepackaged beef.

In south Louisiana we eat many things that others find strange. Not as much now. When I was young people turned their noses up at the thought of crawfish. Forget about alligator, frog legs, turtle or squirrel.
These items are no longer strange.
Today what some may find strange is boudin and hog's head Cheese.
I remember Dad making a Debris. A very rich stew made from organ meat - tongue, brain, kidney, liver, Thymus, heart and chitlens. Dad would buy the meat cheap from the slaughterhouse. Organ meat was considered garbage (Debris)
To make Debris today would be cost prohibitive.
After school snack - a slice of bread slathered with butter and crusted with sugar.
When George kills a deer he brings the heart to me. I cut in 1/4" slices. Season. Dust in APF. Pan fry
The center is pale pink. Is that weird?

It is actually marinara. No meat is added to the sauce, but it is also used as red gravy, mainly for veal parm, chicken parm or eggplant parm.

Interesting. We're both in Massachusetts, but I've never used nor heard the term, "red gravy". It was always tomato sauce or marinara or something, meat or no meat.

I eat just about any innard in an animal - most of these others find strange.

I made a squid salad once and took it to work for lunch. One woman at the table was so grossed out by the idea that she got up and left. And it wasn't even just the tentacles that did her in.

My brother used to make mayo sandwiches when he was a teen. .As in, there wasn't anything available he wanted to add to the sandwich, so it was just mayo and bread...

Oh, I always prefer chocolate ice cream, if available, on any "pie a la mode". Not vanilla.

Okra. Slimy or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom